Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Airport Transportation Question

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2014, 5:11 pm

Programs: CX DM, SQ, BA, TG, Sheba, VN, MPO since 1980
Originally Posted by Ilove2fly
Thinking about staying in Holiday Inn Express in Kowloon or Soho because of the ICH challenges. It seems pretty complicated getting to the Holiday Inn Express in Kowloon East. Google show it takes 3 trains or two buses. Is there an easier way?
there is HIX at Dundas Street Mongkok and another in Causeway Bay
Tseung Kwan O HIX is atop the MTR station
Old Oct 17, 2014, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Yes there are 4 HIX in HK, Soho, Mong Kok, CWB and Kowloon East.

The pricing and point redemption put the HK and CWB ones at a higher price point than the Soho (Sheung Wan IMHO) and Kowloon East (We all know it is really Tseung Kwan O)

It is like my HK office, is it in Admiralty East or West Wan Chai?

Last edited by tentseller; Oct 17, 2014 at 6:13 pm
Old Nov 8, 2014, 10:48 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA PLT, ICH Plat
Doing a MR and need a one nite cheap stay. I can use 20k IHG points at either CP Kowloon East or HIX Kowloon East

Are any of these easy and cheap to get to from airport?
Old Nov 8, 2014, 11:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by alhcfp
Doing a MR and need a one nite cheap stay. I can use 20k IHG points at either CP Kowloon East or HIX Kowloon East

Are any of these easy and cheap to get to from airport?
Not particularly, but AEX + taxi isn't too bad. Can't you swing the HIX Soho for similar points?

Last edited by moondog; Nov 9, 2014 at 9:27 am
Old Nov 9, 2014, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

HIX Soho is the easiest to get to from AEX stations.Usually same rate as the other two you mentioned at Kowloon East if availablefor MR layover.
Old Nov 9, 2014, 11:45 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA PLT, ICH Plat
Originally Posted by tentseller
HIX Soho is the easiest to get to from AEX stations.Usually same rate as the other two you mentioned at Kowloon East if availablefor MR layover.

Points stay not available @ SOHO. Will keep an eye out= thanks
Old Nov 10, 2014, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by alhcfp
Points stay not available @ SOHO. Will keep an eye out= thanks
I guess with the IHG ITN stays promotion they are getting good occupancy at HIX Soho.

The word probably got around to HK travellers from HKers how far Kowloon East (TKO) is to main Kowloon and hard it is to get there by public transport.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 7:43 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by tentseller
The word probably got around to HK travellers from HKers how far Kowloon East (TKO) is to main Kowloon and hard it is to get there by public transport.
Glad I popped into this thread, as I just booked three nights there (20K points each night).

May have to use Agoda instead to book a paid room, as on a map it does not look too bad.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
TKO is a long way from airport. Only one tunnel and two hilly routes. Its MTR line has the most frequent service interruption save East Rail. A29 bus doesn't go directly to the two IHG properties. It's no accident rates are lower and we don't recommend them for short stays in HK.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 4:43 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Originally Posted by rkkwan
Its MTR line has the most frequent service interruption save East Rail.
Meaning that about twice a year there are delays of 10 minutes or so? It's really misleading to imply that ANY MTR lines have any significant problems by the standards understood in places like London / NY / etc.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Originally Posted by christep
Meaning that about twice a year there are delays of 10 minutes or so? It's really misleading to imply that ANY MTR lines have any significant problems by the standards understood in places like London / NY / etc.
Actually it's a bit worse than that. I don't have an official tally, but there was at least serious disruption over the past year, and some lasted several hours. Once, they have to re-open the tunnel to get Kwun Tong Line trains to go across harbor to North Point.

And again, the problem is that there's little alternatives to get into/out of TKO, unlike other parts of the city. Whenever there's disruption on the TKO Line or accident in the vehicular tunnel, you're talking about traffic jam all the way onto HK Island and to Prince Edward Rd East.

And since the MTR really carries a lot of people in HK, and are already really crowded for hours in the day, whenever there's an issue, the effect is more serious than many cities in the world. For example, a slight disruption on the East Rail Line at rush hour can mean people packing the whole platform in Prince Edward (affecting Tsuen Wan Line trains), and in short order, the platform at Admiralty can be packed as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.