Search

Suggestions & Advice - 8 days in Hong Kong

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2014, 6:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC100K, Delta Plat, Nat EX EL, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, NEXUS
Suggestions & Advice - 8 days in Hong Kong

Hello,

I am planning a trip for my 16 year old daughter and I in the fall. We've discussed a little about where we want to go and we've shortlisted it to Hong Kong or Sydney. We are however leaning towards HK so were hoping we could get some advice on some of the must-dos or must-sees while there and best methods of transportation etc.

We've done a lot of traveling today and have spent time in South America, Europe, and pretty well all of the US and Canada. This will be our first time together in Asia however so I'm trying to get as much information as I can prior to making a final decision.

Any information is welcome and I thank you all in advance.

Scott
Old Jun 18, 2014, 8:35 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by YYBGrinder
Hello,

I am planning a trip for my 16 year old daughter and I in the fall. We've discussed a little about where we want to go and we've shortlisted it to Hong Kong or Sydney. We are however leaning towards HK so were hoping we could get some advice on some of the must-dos or must-sees while there and best methods of transportation etc.

We've done a lot of traveling today and have spent time in South America, Europe, and pretty well all of the US and Canada. This will be our first time together in Asia however so I'm trying to get as much information as I can prior to making a final decision.

Any information is welcome and I thank you all in advance.

Scott
Best methods of transportation: Everything the locals take - MTR, buses, ferries, taxis. It will depend on where you want to go. HK is a very easy city to get around.

With regards to your must dos and must sees, it will depend on how long you plan to spend there.

Must-sees:
- Visit the Peak
- Enjoy the skyline from across the harbour in TST at some point as well (skip the lights show)
- Day trip to Big Buddha, Lantau. Be sure to take the bus over, but the cable car back...less of a queue that way.

Must-dos:
- Take the star ferry
- Eat dim sum at a good restaurant
- Eat local Cantonese fare
- Enjoy some street side food

If you have time and more days, there's plenty more to see/do including a bit of nature exploring/trekking in Sai Kung (depending on when you're going and what the weather is like), finishing off with a nice fresh seafood feast, to exploring more of urban Hong Kong, including Causeway Bay and Mong Kok.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 9:07 am

deathscar has suggested some good must-sees and must-dos.

It is very easy to get around HK with local transportation especially the MTR and buses.
If you go to the Big Buddha on Lautau Island, I suggest you also stop by Tai O. If you like hiking, there are some nice hiking trails in HK. You should stop by the street markets such as the ones on Ladies Street or Temple Street.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Guys, Looking at my schedule it's looking like we'll be spending 8 days total. My plan is to have my 15 yr old take the initiative and plan most of the outings by forcing her to do some research as well but I want to be able offer my suggestions where needed so keep 'em coming.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
As much as I love Hong Kong, Sydney sounds far better especially for 8 days.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 6:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
As ridiculous as they may sound, the trip is also part mileage run for me to ensure I get my AC SE for next year. I can go to HK in Premium Economy for around the same price as a Tango fare to Sydney. The kicker being the tango fare and the 50% miles. If it's not enough, it's going to rule out Sydney for us, but on the bright side, my daughter is leaning towards HK anyways so I don't have to play the bad guy
Old Jun 18, 2014, 8:35 pm

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Thanks Guys, Looking at my schedule it's looking like we'll be spending 8 days total. My plan is to have my 15 yr old take the initiative and plan most of the outings by forcing her to do some research as well but I want to be able offer my suggestions where needed so keep 'em coming.
8 days would be plenty to do lots! I'd suggest hiking on a trail out in Sai Kung or Lantau for a day, if you're into that sort of thing. Weather should be good in fall. That should take a whole day and you can finish it off with a nice fresh seafood meal at the piers.

Good call on Tai O as well by worldtraveler17.

As mentioned, getting around HK is really easy. If you need help, feel free to drop me a note. But if you are planning Big Buddha, I definitely suggest avoiding everything (most) guidebooks say and do the reverse: bus up, cable car down. Will save you time waiting in pointless queues, and the bus journey is stunning, and you don't miss out on anything by taking a cable car down.

Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
I actually always recommend family/relatives/friends to come for >5 days as there is plenty to do and see in this little tiny city There may not be as many museums and such, but with the amount of nature and little unique districts out there, there's always somewhere new and interesting to go to.

One of my favourite places to take friends/relatives/family (especially those who have been to HK a few times in the past, usually for 4-5 days before - there's only so many times you can keep going to the Peak, for instance?) is Sham Tseng for a roast meal, or to Tap Mun for a fresh seafood experience, mini-hike, and great outing for a day.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Since you have that much time and hotels in Macau are cheaper than HK (though not by that much these days, especially on weekends), spend 2 nights (Sunday - Thur only) in Macau so you get a whole full day there to tour around the historical sites.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by rkkwan
Since you have that much time and hotels in Macau are cheaper than HK (though not by that much these days, especially on weekends), spend 2 nights (Sunday - Thur only) in Macau so you get a whole full day there to tour around the historical sites.
2 nights is a little excessive for Macau I feel. One night is more than enough. Hotels in Macau are cheaper, but also much worse (if you're into good hotels and all that). Good call on Sun-Thu, not worth paying weekend rates (and weekends are overly crowded there...not that weekdays aren't). Anyway, take an early ferry, go visit the historical sites, enjoy a good lunch, back to the hotels in the evening for an evening at the Cotai Strip (then again your daughter is 16 so...?)

Oh, speaking of Tai O, you could actually spend a night in Tai O at the Tai O Heritage Hotel and explore the area for a day and a half from there.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 12:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
One full day is not excessive. Go evening day one, stay 2 nights and come back morning of day 3. I recently spent a Friday night at the Sheraton HK$2400 for executive suite, free drinks, early dinner and lounge and breakfast. Likely cheaper Sun to Thurs. Find something similar in HK.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 6:26 am

Originally Posted by rkkwan
One full day is not excessive. Go evening day one, stay 2 nights and come back morning of day 3. I recently spent a Friday night at the Sheraton HK$2400 for executive suite, free drinks, early dinner and lounge and breakfast. Likely cheaper Sun to Thurs. Find something similar in HK.
I've stayed at the Sheraton Macao for as low as $1800 for executive suite, but those may have been soft-opening rates...that was a weekend as well!
Old Jun 20, 2014, 4:23 pm

Programs: was UA 1K now Gold, cuz UA 1.3 MM; HA,DL,AS (no status in these), Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by deathscar
I've stayed at the Sheraton Macao for as low as $1800 for executive suite, but those may have been soft-opening rates...that was a weekend as well!
OP: You probably know this, but just in case, it's HK$, not North American$$. So approx $230 US sounds pretty good <gr>
Old Jun 21, 2014, 3:16 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by deathscar
The executive suite is quite nice at the Sheraton in Macau/Cotai -- surprisingly so, pretty much the most luxurious Sheraton in the world. Just stayed there at under USD 200 per night (HKD 1500) so they have great prices (equivalent in HKG would be double/triple). But Macua/Cotai is a very artificial environment (Las Vegas transplanted) with lots of high-end shops ... as in USD 100,000 and up for jewelry, serious money in China these days. A side-trip to Macau makes sense for an 8-day stay. Also I would suggest staying in Kowloon, e.g. at Langham Place in Mong Kok, for a true chinese immersion experience (and it is on an MTR station so very easy to go anywhere, without regard for traffic). You can save enough on shopping to pay for the trip, for example the H&M store at Langham Place has prices that are half that in US/Europe and pretty similar stock though the sizes run small.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 5:45 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, HHonors, SPG, Marriott
Spent a good 2-3 weeks in Hong Kong during this year's trip to the Maldives and have a bunch of ideas!

Sights:
Peak during sunset and start of light show
Avenue of the Stars and that whole boardwalk area including the clock tower on the Kowloon side
Star Ferry
Happy Valley racetrack for expat Wednesdays
Since you'll have more time, I'd highly recommend exploring the smaller islands for a great day of hiking and getting away from the city. This time I got to do Cheung Chau island and Lamma Island. Great seafood out there.
If you can figure your way out there by bus, I'd check out Sai Kung on a weekend. Great port town on the northern part of Kowloon. It was fun seeing the fisherman sell their catches by the dock. This is also the home to Honeymoon Dessert which I love.
Macau day trip

Shopping:
Ladies Market
Food markets like Wan Chai Wet Market
Mong Kok as an area where you'll find a lot of shopping
Causeway Bay is another area with a lot of shopping though more high end

Food:
Tim-Ho Wan for dim sum - you won't regret it
HK cafe food at the popular Tsui Wah (you'll see ton of these all around)
Australia Dairy Company for their egg sandwiches
Yee Shun Dairy Company for their milk pudding
Via Tokyo for their green tea matcha soft serve
Peninsula Hotel afternoon tea is exquisite
Tung Po in North Point for a more modern and clean version of open air food stalls
And the list goes on...I literally ate my way all through Hong Kong so get ready.

Check out my blog at Going Awesome Places if you want more info on exactly what we did but hopefully this gives you a good idea on some things to research!
Old Jul 28, 2014, 3:47 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
I am planning a trip for my 16 year old daughter and I in the fall.
Originally Posted by willsterstyle
Happy Valley racetrack for expat Wednesdays
Just an observation that no under-18s are allowed at the racetrack. But if your daughter looks 18 then you'd probably get away with it if you don't look too clueless.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.