Pick your 3 top restaurants in HKG

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pick your 3 top restaurants in HKG

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2014, 9:54 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by vkykam
Everyone has their favorites, but OpenRice app is a decent tool for this city, as it'll have ratings as well as pics of food. Helps if you can read traditional Chinese as most of the user reviews are written in Chinese, but there are a few English reviews.
It's a very useful tool that serves - particularly, easy to find address, user photos and good to skim through to get a general idea.

I would never use it as a barometer for the quality of food/service however. It's akin to using TripAdvisor while searching for a luxury hotel.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 7:44 pm

Programs: Whatever fleeces my wallet the least
Yes, always buyer beware, but given enough reviews the painted picture is fairly accurate, in the same way as TripAdvisor. A restaurant that has 10 reviews I would take with, um, a grain of salt. One with a hundred reviews are generally reliable.

The pictures, however, are a good way of seeing whether it's the style/type of food a potential patron is looking for. It's also a great tool to get a general range of price of the restaurant.

Originally Posted by deathscar
It's a very useful tool that serves - particularly, easy to find address, user photos and good to skim through to get a general idea.

I would never use it as a barometer for the quality of food/service however. It's akin to using TripAdvisor while searching for a luxury hotel.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by deathscar

Actually openrice is a great tool for quality food (assuming you can read chinese).
Old Apr 16, 2014, 7:44 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by vkykam
Yes, always buyer beware, but given enough reviews the painted picture is fairly accurate, in the same way as TripAdvisor. A restaurant that has 10 reviews I would take with, um, a grain of salt. One with a hundred reviews are generally reliable.

The pictures, however, are a good way of seeing whether it's the style/type of food a potential patron is looking for. It's also a great tool to get a general range of price of the restaurant.
I disagree. There's a huge 'cult' nature to it, and I don't think reviews are reflective of food quality when it comes down to non-Chinese food - much like TripAdvisor really. Of course, everyone will have a different view, so fair enough - but I don't pay much consideration to the actual review itself...just the food.

I do agree with the pics though. With user pics rather than 'official' photos, it's always good to see what you will get with regards to setting and so on.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 2:02 pm

Programs: FT
did not want to start a new thread but looking for opinions on going for dinner at the Chairman vs. Fook Lam Moon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.