Wiki Posts
Search

Layover in HK - practical advice

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2013, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

Layover in HK - practical advice

Hi everybody

I was hoping someone could give some practical advice for a short layover I have in Hong Kong.

I'm going from CPH to BKK and I saw a ticket (with Cathay) with a very good price, where I would have a layover in Hong Kong from 1605 - and onwards to BKK at 08.00. The return leg of the trip is direct with SAS.

That gives me less than 24 hours in HK, but I'm thinking that if I go from the airport and into the city I go could go eat at a good restaurant, take in the sights and have a few beers and then back to airport. Besides I would like to see HK.

Being a tight wad I want to avoid booking into a hotel, could I go back to airport at around 02.00 and just rough it until I'm flying? Is it an airport like Changi where it wouldn't be a problem? Are there any nice lounges I could access with a Diners card?

BR

Jens
Old Sep 20, 2013, 2:14 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Please use Diners Club app or website for access to lounges at HKG. One of the lounges is open 24 hrs.

I do not believe you can go through customs (and access the lounge from land side) in the middle of the night. You can however sleep on the chairs land side.

http://www.sleepinginairports.net/as...m#.Ujysbz_6Lx8
Old Sep 21, 2013, 4:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by beep88
Please use Diners Club app or website for access to lounges at HKG. One of the lounges is open 24 hrs.

I do not believe you can go through customs (and access the lounge from land side) in the middle of the night. You can however sleep on the chairs land side.

http://www.sleepinginairports.net/as...m#.Ujysbz_6Lx8
He's arriving at 4p! Who in their right mind wouldn't leave the airport under that scenario?
Old Sep 21, 2013, 5:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moondog
He's arriving at 4p! Who in their right mind wouldn't leave the airport under that scenario?
I think mr. beep is talking about what it will be like if I try to return to airport at 02.00

By the way thx for the link regarding sleeping in airports, made me realise that perhaps I'm getting to old to do that.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 11:03 am

cph71, that's a great idea. take the airport express train (06:00-00:45) from the airport into Central, have a nice walk around Central, a beer in the SoHo District followed by a nice dinner and more drinks in Lan Kwai Fong. Then head back to the airport either by the same train or by airport bus (A11, E11, 05:20-24:00, from stops along Central, or N11 from Central Macau Ferry Terminal, which runs 00:20 til 4:50 am). Train takes 28 minutes, buses take about 45 minutes. If you are flying CX, they have great lounges in the airport.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 3:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by joncmchan
If you are flying CX, they have great lounges in the airport.
Only if OP have access. And only after 6am.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 3:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by joncmchan
cph71, that's a great idea. take the airport express train (06:00-00:45) from the airport into Central, have a nice walk around Central, a beer in the SoHo District followed by a nice dinner and more drinks in Lan Kwai Fong. Then head back to the airport either by the same train or by airport bus (A11, E11, 05:20-24:00, from stops along Central, or N11 from Central Macau Ferry Terminal, which runs 00:20 til 4:50 am). Train takes 28 minutes, buses take about 45 minutes. If you are flying CX, they have great lounges in the airport.
Seems like good advice - thx
Old Sep 23, 2013, 9:28 am
Suspended

Programs: Taiwan is a country.
If you're so cheap as to not get a room, then perhaps this trip is out of your budget. What you're suggesting is silly.
Old Sep 29, 2013, 2:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by deadinabsentia
If you're so cheap as to not get a room, then perhaps this trip is out of your budget. What you're suggesting is silly.
that's a bit harsh, I know a few people (me included) who often rank a bed lesser than a few other things in life.

you can probably spend the hotel money in food or partying, or drink out in central or wanchai till as late as you can - then take N11 (or A11, or the AEx when they restart at 5/6am) to go back to the airport. then sleep away in landside or airside.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 4:51 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Indeed - and if the OP gets lucky (or is tempted) in Wanchai then it's easy to take a room for a couple of hours!
Old Dec 16, 2013, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by christep
Indeed - and if the OP gets lucky (or is tempted) in Wanchai then it's easy to take a room for a couple of hours!
You really don't need to get lucky or tempted to get a room for a few hours in Wan Chai. But in Wan Chai many thought they got lucky until the "collection agency" shows up.

If you can't get access the a ailrline lounge there are 24/7 Plaza Premium lounges airside and landside that you can pay to use on a hourly basis depending on your amenities required: bedroom, shower/rest room, semi-private rest area.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.