Wiki Posts
Search

HK airport hotel

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2012, 2:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC gold, Marriott gold, Hilton gold
HK airport hotel

I need a hotel close to Hong Kong airport - ideally one I can walk to once I get off my flight. Does anyone have any recommendations? My preference would be for a Prioritty Club (Holiday Inn, Crowne Plaza) or Marriott properties since I have status with these or else Hilton or Starwood (Sheraton, Westin).

I arrive at 22:40 and my flight the next day is at 14:55. Is there anything to see or do around the airport?

Any recommendations would be most welcome.

BTW this isn't my first time in Hong Kong and I have already seen most of the main tourists sights in the central area.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

I do not think there are any hotels within walking distance.

The nearest marriott is Marriott Skycity. ( connected to the asia world expo with a free shuttle to the airport the MTR station and Disneyland HK.

I do not think there is a lot to do immediately around the airport ( the big Budda might be worthwhile the next morning).

I would probably take the airport express into Kowloon/Central,and look around the next morning before heading back to the airport ( you could check in at the station downtown)

I'm planning on going back to HK in May ( staying at the Conrad)

Regards

TBS
Old Feb 7, 2012, 4:35 pm

Programs: A Few
The Regal is attached to HKG airport. It's not a very good hotel...way overpriced for very basic rooms.

I've also stayed at The Novotel Citygate and The Marriott Sky City. Novotel was quite reasonably priced when I was there...rooms are modern and comfortable. The hotel is attached to a big outlet mall with direct access to the MRT and cable car to the Big Buddha. The Marriott is a nice hotel...good club lounge offerings and comfortable, nicely appointed rooms but not as well located for public transportation or shopping.

Both hotels offer regular free shuttles back and forth from the airport.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 9:03 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
+1 for the Novotel Citygate in the town of Tung Chung, less than 10 minutes away from the airport by free courtesy shuttle or quick taxi ride, multi-level shopping mall that's popular with mainland China tourist on designer shopping runs. There is a self-service food court with a variety of dining choices and electronics store in the mall for the latest gadgets. One can sample taste fresh bakery goods (instead of good old - hotel style - pan fried eggs & ham with toast, butter & jam, etc.) in the morning along with rich coffee or HK style red/black tea with condensed milk - so long, Starbuck! The MTR station is a few minutes away, connecting to many bus routes serving the area, and here you get to see the newer concrete jungle of high-rise mixed use residential housing units with commercial stores below it (but only for those that are 1st. time visitor and new to HKG.)

F.Y.I. on the Ngong Ping 360 cable car to ride up OW or RT to the Big Budda/Village (and some continuing down the other side to the old Fishing Village of Tai O, on a 3/4 day+ schedule only) - the cable car is NOT RUNNING - out of service with major repairs being done on its gears since last week, and expected to be out for about 2 months (or until sometime in April)
Old Feb 8, 2012, 8:20 am

I've stayed at both Regal and Novotel.

Regal is very basic and but also incredibly quick to access, just talk 5 minutes with your trolley/luggage. Novotel is much better 'value' but you need to taxi or bus over.

Given your late arrival, not sure what is best. If I flew in on long flight, I'd stay at Regal, get good nights sleep and then enjoy the airport amenities the next day [nice shops, great lounges and restaurants]. Just POV
Old Feb 9, 2012, 12:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hong-...rst-timer.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hong-...t-layover.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hong-...n-1-night.html

FWIW my choice is Marriott Sky City but that's MHO.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 3:37 am
Original Poster

Thank you. I have now booked Marriott Sky City.
Old Feb 18, 2012, 8:53 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Novotel seems to be charging the same (or higher) rates than the Regal during the time I am checking. Is it worth the extra shuttle ride?

Any discount codes available?

Last edited by RichardInSF; Feb 18, 2012 at 8:58 am
Old Feb 18, 2012, 9:58 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by tcook052
FWIW my choice is Marriott Sky City but that's MHO.
I was looking at hotels and this appears to be our best option. We will arrive around 8:00 PM and want to take the train into the city. It looks like the AsiaWorld Expo station is very close to the hotel.

Do you know if this is easily accessed from the hotel?
Old Feb 18, 2012, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by cheltzel
I was looking at hotels and this appears to be our best option. We will arrive around 8:00 PM and want to take the train into the city. It looks like the AsiaWorld Expo station is very close to the hotel.

Do you know if this is easily accessed from the hotel?

Hi,

from ;

http://www.asiaworld-expo.com/html/e...mmodation.html

It looks like the Marriott Sky city is 1 minute walking distance from the Asia World Asia expo site ( maybe slightly longer to the train station inside the Expo site but it does look fairly convenient

Regards

TBS
Old Feb 18, 2012, 1:50 pm

We will arrive ... 8:00 PM and want to take the train into the city. It looks like the AsiaWorld Expo station is very close to the hotel.
The huge Expo complex is connected to the Marriott via a sky bridge (more like 5 minutes walk with luggage) as it could be very hot, sunny & humid much of the year. The Expo MTR Station is on the opposite side of the building or at least another 5 minutes.

The hotel offers free comp shuttle for its guests to/from the airport, Expo Station (AE Express) and the nearby Tung Chung MTR Station served by regular trains - which one can easily transfer to different lines, making all stops - cost savings offset by "extra" travel time.

Taxi are inexpensive compared to U.S. - metered & regulated, and we used it all the time for "bridging" those short walks between MTR stations and where we wanted to go - especially if you do not want to ride the extensive network of public buses & mini-buses (Ocotopus/MTR card accepted or exact change in cash only.)
Old Feb 19, 2012, 5:13 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Thanks TBS and Letitride3c

We will do the hotel shuttle from the airport with our bage to check in and again back to the airport the next morning. IMO that is easier with luggage, etc.

I looked up the fare for the airport express and see what you mean about the cost.

There will be 3 of us and a taxi would be cheaper.

Maybe we will ride the hotel shuttle to Tung Chung and take the regular subway in to town.

I've been to HK for business twice over the last three years and am familiar with the subway. My wife and son never get to travel much and I want to take subways as much as possible.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 8:29 am
Original Poster

We will do the hotel shuttle from the airport ...............
Do the hotel shuttles run regularly or do you have or call them?
Old Feb 19, 2012, 10:35 am

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Shuttle schedule

http://www.marriott.com/hotelwebsites/us/h/hkgap/hkgap_pdf/Jun%2027%20-%20Updated%20-Bus_A_B_Disney_.pdf
Old Feb 19, 2012, 11:17 am

We will do the hotel shuttle from the airport with our bage to check in and again back to the airport the next morning. IMO that is easier with luggage, etc. ... looked up the fare for the airport express and will be 3 of us and a taxi would be cheaper. Maybe we will ride the hotel shuttle to Tung Chung and take the regular subway in to town ... My wife and son never get to travel much and I want to take subways as much as possible.
Sounds like an excellent plan for an 8PM arrival - using the taxi for shop hops is definitely great with 3 traveling together, and luggages will fit in the trunk if you are traveling "light". Use the hotel shuttle or quick taxi over to Tung Chung for the regular MTR so you dont' have to wait - as it's, IMO, still a rather long skybridge walk to the Expo station.

The MTR is so much ride-friendly & advanced vs. "subway" here in NYC or the "tube" (closest thing being SFO's BART system) that you DW & son will love it as you already know. The last MTR subway run is around midnight, but you can ride the all night "express" buses back to Lantau/Tung Chung or Airport, enjoy the above ground or free "surface" sightseeing tour riding back late night, and then connect by taxi ride back to the SkyCity for some zzzz's. Google for the HK bus system schedule and there are downloadable mobile apps for door-to-door trip planning & options, etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.