Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hong Kong International Airport - Terminal 2

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2011, 6:05 am
Original Poster

Hong Kong International Airport - Terminal 2

They really need to move some meaningful airlines into that Terminal to get the crowd going. If HKIA wants to really market T2 to be the place to be (shop, eat, a big entertainment center of its own and not just a check-in place, they should move some big operators like CX or KA over. They will probably never touch CX as T1 is great, but really, it's ashamed that T1 is buzzing and T2 looks like a ghost town from time to time.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 6:59 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Moving this thread to the Hong Kong forum. Thanks for your understanding.

Jouy31
TravelBuzz moderator
Old Dec 7, 2011, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
What's so bad about having a quiet and uncrowded place in Hong Kong? Plus I doubt the Chao Inn there will offer all the good deals if it's packed all the time. I am all for T2 as it is now.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 11:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rkkwan
What's so bad about having a quiet and uncrowded place in Hong Kong? Plus I doubt the Chao Inn there will offer all the good deals if it's packed all the time. I am all for T2 as it is now.
Yeah, T2 shop owners really love your philosophy... the shops are getting more and more pathetic. Pretty soon T2 will turn into a big food court.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

At least two things they can do:

1. For get more airlines use T2 for check-ins - rebuild that automatic people mover so it's same ride SkyPier - T2 - East Hall - West Hall. No reason why with a linear layout, one has to transfer to get from SkyPier/T2 to the gates at the west end.

2. To get more locals to eat and shop - lower the price of the AE. Simple as that. Or offer free parking.

Otherwise, it'll be the same.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 10:34 am

Your concern is misplaced - in time, T2 will be as busy, if not more so, than T1. That's just how these things turn out.

Therefore, I enjoy the relative quietness (it can actually be pretty busy there). Plus, I like the unique diversity of T2 passengers. Cherish it while you can.

Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
They really need to move some meaningful airlines into that Terminal to get the crowd going. If HKIA wants to really market T2 to be the place to be (shop, eat, a big entertainment center of its own and not just a check-in place, they should move some big operators like CX or KA over. They will probably never touch CX as T1 is great, but really, it's ashamed that T1 is buzzing and T2 looks like a ghost town from time to time.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 6:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SkySide
Your concern is misplaced - in time, T2 will be as busy, if not more so, than T1. That's just how these things turn out.

Therefore, I enjoy the relative quietness (it can actually be pretty busy there). Plus, I like the unique diversity of T2 passengers. Cherish it while you can.
Where do you get such confidence? All I see in T2 is how it started as a Terminal with 5-star rated shops, and over the years those high-end shops are replaced by cheap express dining. I don't see how that will be different considering the airlines that are there. I mean it's almost like HKIA purposely put all the LCC airlines there....
Old Dec 11, 2011, 7:28 pm

T2 actually has a dual function of being a mall for Tung Chung residents, and the last thing they want is a high-end mall. It's good to have more options - the expensive brands can sit in T1 while there are plenty of middle-class options in T2. Back in the day when T2 first opened, there was a lack of dining options in T1 land-side, and all those restaurants at T2 were a big welcome.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 4:19 pm

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
I usually head to T2 for a landside lunch if not intending to go downtown during a layover. Not bad at all and closer to comfort food in taste.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 8:33 pm

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

And for me I use T2 for my exit immigration if I already checked in at Kowloon station. It helps me to skip the massive security line at T1 !
Old Jan 18, 2012, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by ChrisLi
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

And for me I use T2 for my exit immigration if I already checked in at Kowloon station. It helps me to skip the massive security line at T1 !
We're flying with RJ tonight to BKK, who "depart" from T2. If we've already checked in online/dumped bags in town, do we need to go through T2 security/immigration, or can we just head through T1? And the million dollar question - which is likely to be quieter, given CNY? We're both travelling with HKID cards if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 18, 2012, 10:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Shuttle-Bored
We're flying with RJ tonight to BKK, who "depart" from T2. If we've already checked in online/dumped bags in town, do we need to go through T2 security/immigration, or can we just head through T1? And the million dollar question - which is likely to be quieter, given CNY? We're both travelling with HKID cards if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance!
You can enter security/immigration at either. And T2 is always quieter with shorter lines. Just need an extra train ride back to the main terminal after immigration.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by rkkwan
You can enter security/immigration at either. And T2 is always quieter with shorter lines. Just need an extra train ride back to the main terminal after immigration.
^ Thanks - literally just found the same answer on the HKIA website (though without the useful advice on lines!):

Originally Posted by HKIA
After check-in, passengers can choose to go through immigration procedures and security control in either terminal.
May give T2 a whirl for once.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.