Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

How long from landing at HKG to Kowloon?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2011, 8:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: Starwood, AA

We are landing at 7pm on JFK-HKG CX flight. We will have only 1 night in HKG and would like to catch the 8pm light show on the harbor. Is it realistic for us to make it? If so, what's the quickest place we can get to where we'll have a view of the lights? We'll be staying on Kowloon side. Baggage won't be a problem (one carryon each) and we'll be coming off J.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 9:15 am

Programs: UA Gold-1MM, Hhonors Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold
For this to happen, all the travel gods have to be lined up.

If your flight is on time, and there is no line in immigrations (which can be none or 30 minutes), and you already have your tickets for the airport express train, and you can get right into a shuttle for the hotel, I have done wheels down to hotel room in Kowloon in 1 hour.

What night of the week are traveling? What hotel are you staying in? I would check out the shuttle schedule for the airport express and make a plan from there. Have you been to HK before? If not, it might be a challenge.

FYI... the light show is not what it used to be, I hope for all this rushing you will not be disappointed.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 10:29 am

Keep in mind, sometimes the longest delay is on the final leg: waiting for a taxi at the Kowloon Airport Express station to take you to your hotel or the light show. I've done record time with Baggage-immigration-Airport Express, to be confounded by this queue.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by SkySide
Keep in mind, sometimes the longest delay is on the final leg: waiting for a taxi at the Kowloon Airport Express station to take you to your hotel or the light show. I've done record time with Baggage-immigration-Airport Express, to be confounded by this queue.
If your hotel is on the free shuttle route, then no need for a taxi. One hour is about the best I've ever managed.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 12:05 pm

Programs: UAL SPG Hyatt
Recently, the lines at HK immigration have been really long and will hold you back at least 15-20 mins. Unless you have the frequent visitor card, I would guess you would not make the 8pm if wheelsdown at 7pm.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 12:39 pm

Programs: LH, AB, SPG, CC, Sixt, EC
I am also pretty sure that you will not make it if you only touch down at 7pm. Yes, the lightshow is nice but it is definitely not the nicest thing ever to get into a big rush.

If your flight gets in early (it is a long flight, so everything might happen) go for it but with a touchdown around 7pmish, I wouldn't rush myself.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 8:26 am
Original Poster

some more dets - not decided on hotel yet. Debating between Intercontinental, Peninsula or maybe the RC (more distant third). I've been to HK before and have see the lights, but my DH has not. It's his first visit. We'll be arriving on Friday night in June.
Does arranging hotel transfer speed things along significantly?
thanks everyone for sharing their experiences.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
I'd just say that IMO, the light show is no more spectacular than the skyline itself.

Saw a trip report the other day where someone said it took 1hr to get through immigration at HKG!

I'd forego the blind panic to get to the lights and instead focus more on getting the right room etc, maybe dinner at Felix in the Penn?
Old Dec 13, 2011, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
I'd just say that IMO, the light show is no more spectacular than the skyline itself.
Exactly! No big deal to miss that "show".
Old Dec 14, 2011, 9:09 am
Original Poster

thanks everyone. we'll let fates guide us. if we make it, we make it. if not, that's ok.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 1:02 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I have a similar time window, although starting and leaving earlier.

The one meal I want to have is Tim Ho Wan. The other thoughts are to ride a ferry and go to the Peak.

Last edited by beachfan; Dec 21, 2011 at 9:57 am
Old Dec 21, 2011, 6:38 am

Programs: VA WP, UA 1k, QR G, AZ WP
Originally Posted by beachfan
The one meal I want to have is Tim Ho Wan. The other thoughts are to ride a ferry and go to the Peak.
take the time you have budgeted for Tim Ho Wan, and add some more.

Can experienced players suggest what is the 'must try'? I went there last month and was underwhelmed after the people gushing about it - it was good, but very hyped.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.