Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How much to load on Octopus card

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2011, 8:36 am

Programs: no status
Originally Posted by rkkwan
First, I highly suggest you NOT to go to the Wishing Tree. It's a waste of your precious time in Hong Kong.

Assuming you're set in taking the Airport Express to/from airport, the cost of your two choices are not that different. If you are planning to take a lot of MTR rides, like going to the Big Buddha via Tung Chung or Disney, then get the tourist card. If you plan to trying more of the other transportation - buses, ferries, trams, etc, then get a separate Octopus.

You can get the Octopus and all kinds of Airport Express tickets at the circular counter right outside customs exit at HKG. Cash only for the regular Octopus. Credit card accepted for the airport express tickets and tourist card.
Thanks, what's a good alternative to Wishing Tree. I assume that MTR will be main tranposrtation, but there will also be the Peak Tram, a ferry ride, and maybe one bus ride if I read the itinerrary correctly. I will be staying at the JJ Hotel in Wan Chai, which supposedly is short taxi ride away from Airport Express Station, or Wan Chai MTR.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 1:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Originally Posted by Merlin666
Thanks, what's a good alternative to Wishing Tree. I assume that MTR will be main tranposrtation, but there will also be the Peak Tram, a ferry ride, and maybe one bus ride if I read the itinerrary correctly. I will be staying at the JJ Hotel in Wan Chai, which supposedly is short taxi ride away from Airport Express Station, or Wan Chai MTR.
There are tonnes of places to go in HK. You may notice that I post often on this forum but not in that sticky thread, as I don't agree with some of the itineraries there. Anyways, you should look at other threads as well as guidebooks, etc. And consider what interest you. Scenery? Pre-colonial villages? Temples and Monasteries? Shopping? Markets?

You shouldn't rely on MTR as your main transportation, as there are good bus network in the city which allow you to see more; and many places don't have MTR access - like the southern part of Hong Kong Island.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
If one has time a ride on the upper level front windows on the tram is a great way of seeing the city and the various 'Neighbourhoods".

For a thrill and scenery bus 15 from peak to central on the front row of the upper level beats any amusement park ride.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by tentseller
If one has time a ride on the upper level front windows on the tram is a great way of seeing the city and the various 'Neighbourhoods".

For a thrill and scenery bus 15 from peak to central on the front row of the upper level beats any amusement park ride.
Thanks for all the suggestions, I may have to revise my itinerary. As I only have one day I would like to visit the "must-sees", but I also just like walking around to get a feel for the place and its diversity of people and architecture (or lack thereof).

But how does this octopus thing work - which one to start with? And i guess if I run out of fare I recharge it and if I have too much I get a refund (at HKG airport)?

Last edited by Merlin666; Nov 29, 2011 at 11:42 am
Old Nov 29, 2011, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for all the suggestions, I may have to revise my itinerary. As I only have one day I would like to visit the "must-sees", but I also just like walking around to get a feel for the place and its diversity of people and architecture (or lack thereof).

But how does this octopus thing work - which one to start with? And i guess if I run out of fare I recharge it and if I have too much I get a refund (at HKG airport)?
There are only two you should consider. A "regular" Octopus; or the Airport Express tourist card, which is an Octopus with AE rides, a MTR pass, and some value already loaded on it.

A regular Octopus is HK$150 to start, which has HK$100 on it, and a deposit. You can get all unspent money plus $43 of that deposit back. You can load it at any train station as well as convenient stores, which are all over Hong Kong. Just return your Octopus to the Airport Express service counter at HKG where you get your card in the first place, and you'll get your money back.

In fact, I suggest you return your regular Octopus BEFORE taking the train back to the airport, so you can use that HK dollars to buy your train ticket, instead of having so much HKD to spend or to exchange at the airport.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 3:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Gold, Marriott Gold Elite
Airport Express gets you to Hong Kong station in about 22 minutes. But from there you'll have to transfer to MTR Island Line's Central station (a 5 minutes walk underground?) onto Wan Chai Station. Then another 3 to 4 blocks to JJ hotel.

One of the easiest and cheapest ways to get from airport to JJ hotel is A11 Bus. It drops you off at Hennessy and Stewart Road, then it is only one block away to JJ hotel. On the way to the airport, catch the bus four blocks away on Gloucester Road and Stewart Road in front of Axa Center. The cost is $40 each way, no transfer and minimal walking.

Last edited by CAPT Tee; Dec 6, 2011 at 8:33 am
Old Dec 18, 2011, 4:51 am

Originally Posted by CAPT Tee
One of the easiest and cheapest ways to get from airport to JJ hotel is A11 Bus. It drops you off at Hennessy and Stewart Road, then it is only one block away to JJ hotel. On the way to the airport, catch the bus four blocks away on Gloucester Road and Stewart Road in front of Axa Center. The cost is $40 each way, no transfer and minimal walking.
Thanks, about how much time does the bus ride take? I am scheduled to arrive at 22:30 after a long trip FRA-ICN-HKG with 8h layover in ICN, so will probably not be very alert.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks, about how much time does the bus ride take? I am scheduled to arrive at 22:30 after a long trip FRA-ICN-HKG with 8h layover in ICN, so will probably not be very alert.
About 45-50 minutes at that time of the day.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And if you take E11, the cost drops to HKD20 I believe.

E11 would go thru Tung Chung first before heading out to HK Proper. It adds about 10 to 15 minutes to the ride normally as there are locals / airport employees using the E11 at the first few stops.

Alternately, Bus S1 costs HKD1.50? or some dirt cheap change to get you to Tung Chung where you can take the regular MTR, a fraction of the cost versus Airport Express and about the same as A11 but quicker than A11 / E11 which of course does not require any transfer between Bus and MTR.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by rkkwan
About 45-50 minutes at that time of the day.
That's ok I guess. I will be travelling with mid-size suitcase, carryon backpack, and a laptop bag - is that ok on a bus?

And in keeping with the theme of the thread - can I use an octopus card (tourist or regular)?
Old Dec 18, 2011, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's ok I guess. I will be travelling with mid-size suitcase, carryon backpack, and a laptop bag - is that ok on a bus?

And in keeping with the theme of the thread - can I use an octopus card (tourist or regular)?
There is a luggage compartment/rack inside near the front of the lower level of the A11 bus. Kind of like the airport shuttle to hotel/rental car type in North America.

Yes, you can use the octopus card to pay bus fare.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

S1 cost $3.5.

Anyways, the neat thing about the bus is that it's single ride. S1/mtr means many switches to most points in HK.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 5:52 pm

Thanks the A11 worked well. Problem is - I got in after midnight and rushed to get the bus and paid with cash fare, as I did not want to line up at the ticket counter and possibly miss the last bus. Is it possible to get around just with cash and no octopus card?
Old Dec 22, 2011, 12:55 am

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
Thanks the A11 worked well. Problem is - I got in after midnight and rushed to get the bus and paid with cash fare, as I did not want to line up at the ticket counter and possibly miss the last bus. Is it possible to get around just with cash and no octopus card?
Next time you visit an MTR station you can get an Octopus. It's just too much of a hassle imo to line up and buy cash tickets for every journey and fumbling with change.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Santander
Next time you visit an MTR station you can get an Octopus. It's just too much of a hassle imo to line up and buy cash tickets for every journey and fumbling with change.
Hong Kong is a very fast pace society including getting on and off public transportation.
You will cause a backlog/lineup and be accused of preventing the earth from spinning. (;D 4 HKers)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.