Search

Buying an engagement ring in HK?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2011, 4:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci, BA, Hilton.
Buying an engagement ring in HK?

Hi All,
I am looking to buy an engagement ring in HK. Budget will be roughly hkd15k. I have been to KH a few times and know it pretty well. I am likely to only have one day to do it. I also know I will get better value in HK than in the UK but love to know if people have suggestions and where to go?
Thanks
MickV
Old Sep 15, 2011, 1:01 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Your best bet might be TSL jewelers in TST. A big manufacturer with a retail store on Nathan Rd near the Peninsula, they have some unique diamond cuts with 100 facets like this Estrella http://www.tslj.com/en/product_showc....html?id=pt419

Might be out of your price range though
Old Sep 15, 2011, 4:48 am

Programs: CX Diamond
We bought my wifes ring (some time ago!) at Chow Tai Fook on Queens Road Central.

http://www.chowtaifook.com/index.asp#hk,en,shop,hk

Staff were very helpfull and patient with my lack of cantonese.

If I remember right, there was the option to pick the stone and ring separately if we wanted.

Stone came with a GIA certificate
Old Sep 15, 2011, 7:05 am
Original Poster

Thanks for your help!!!
Old Sep 15, 2011, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
We got our wedding rings at J's. I like the idea of the hidden diamond - I like J's design and I like the idae of hidden diamond (it's in the inside of the ring).
Old Sep 15, 2011, 10:08 am
Suspended

Programs: BAEC
Interesting, are diamonds considerably cheaper in Hong Kong than the UK ?
Old Sep 15, 2011, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by paxx
Interesting, are diamonds considerably cheaper in Hong Kong than the UK ?
Yes. No tax, you would be smuggling said diamonds back into the UK though and I am weary about Nathan Road hence the question for advice.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
The large chains - Chow Tai Fook, Chow Sang Sang and C.S.S. - are reliable regardless of location.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 3:35 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Do know that diamonds and diamond rings are always heavily discounted off list or appraised value.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 3:51 pm

Programs: SQ
I used to do a lot of jewelry shopping in HK until I realize that the chain stuff is all a lot cheaper in the USA. Again, not sure about the small boutiques, but I know that Chow Tai Fook and CSS are everywhere and reliable. I'm not sure if they have a store in HK, but middle-class Chinese like 'Enzo' a lot - it's a division of LJ Diamonds. They also like Cartier (naturally), but their stuff is $$$$$. I feel like you can get more bang for your buck at the chain stores and your wife will definitely appreciate that.

I'm not sure at all of the UK pricing, but it always irritates me seeing prices that are a lot higher than they are at home (USA) - especially when I'm going to spend a lot of cash. A way to check to see the general pricing difference is to look at the prices at a major chain like Tiffany's or Cartier, and compare with the price at home. I'll look and compare and see if it's worth the time waiting until the next trip home to buy something.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 4:09 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Originally Posted by beep88
Do know that diamonds and diamond rings are always heavily discounted off list or appraised value.
Originally Posted by benzemalyonnais
I used to do a lot of jewelry shopping in HK until I realize that the chain stuff is all a lot cheaper in the USA.
Both very true comments. Buying your diamond at 50% of appraised is a minimum and often might go to 33% of appraised.

The OP's budget isn't "high end" so knowing the local market well before going to HK is a must. I'm not sure he'll find many better bargains in HK.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 4:57 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by Braindrain
Both very true comments. Buying your diamond at 50% of appraised is a minimum and often might go to 33% of appraised.

The OP's budget isn't "high end" so knowing the local market well before going to HK is a must. I'm not sure he'll find many better bargains in HK.
Good advice, and HKG is not the cheapest part of the world for buying diamonds, but cheaper than UK; what HKG does offer is high quality workmanship for a cheap price, in the gold and ring workmanship, so intricate ring with small stones will be much better value in HKG. At the OPs price point this is all that is available in any case, as most investment quality diamonds are priced over GBP 10,000 and better bought in NYC than HKG.
Old Sep 18, 2011, 12:49 am
In memoriam

IMHO, you can do a whole lot better by walking down 47th Street in Manhattan. Or, try the jewelery district in downtown L.A.

Depending on how much you want to spend you might save enough to pay for the whole trip or more.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 10:43 pm

If its one day then probably stick the main chinese brands like have already been mentioned, however their mark ups are pretty high.

BTW have you considered buying through Blue Nile? I bought my missuses rock from there and then got a local designer to design the ring and set the stone (Blue Nile also sell full rings).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.