Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Amex gave me a 2nd Hilton Account

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2008, 2:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA:Lifetime Platinum; MR:Lifetime Titanium

I recently received a letter from Amex which said that if I opened a Gold Account, the annual fee would be waived for the 1st year and I would get 25,000 Membership Rewards points if I spent $1,000.00 by October 31,2008. It sounded good so I applied for the card, received it and am now using it.
No problem.

In today's mail, i received a letter from Hilton informing me that in conjunction with the Amex Gold card, Hilton has created an account for me and, based on my use of the Amex Gold card, I now have over 12,000 Hilton HHonors points.

An added, unexpected plus.

I am, however, already an Hilton HHonors member and have an account with 67,000+ points.

My question for you Hilton Experts: Do I risk losing the 12,000+ points by informing Hilton of the 2nd account? Would they merge the two accounts and permit me to keep the 12,000+ points? Should I keep two separate accounts? What are the downsides of keeping two accounts? What would you do?

In advance, I thank you for taking the time to answer these questions (I did a search but came up with nothing).
Old Jul 19, 2008, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Call HHonors, sounds like a legit reason for merging accounts.
Old Jul 19, 2008, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Under the Liberty Visual to 27L at PHL. Stranger in a strange land - a Devils fan in Flyers country.
Programs: PWP Le Chancelier des Clefs d'Or || Sarcasm, Anti-Stupidity, Obscure References top tier member.
Hilton did not give you a second HH account. You did not inform them of your existing HH account. Hilton expects promos like this to be taken advantage of. There was no reason to omit your account in the first place.
Old Jul 21, 2008, 12:03 pm

Programs: HHonors
Contact Hilton - they will combine the accounts. I was already a HH Gold when I received the AMEX HH card that comes with a HH Silver. It was no problem to have the AMEX points post to my Gold account.
Old Jul 21, 2008, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by ConciergeMike
Hilton did not give you a second HH account. You did not inform them of your existing HH account. Hilton expects promos like this to be taken advantage of. There was no reason to omit your account in the first place.
After re reading the OP, that is not what he did. He applied for A membership rewards card not a Hlton Amex card. Opening of the 2nd account seems to have been done by Hilton, as a benefit of having the amex gold card.

This is new to me as well, that a hilton account and points are an additional benefit of having a gold amex with membership rewards.
Old Jul 21, 2008, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Under the Liberty Visual to 27L at PHL. Stranger in a strange land - a Devils fan in Flyers country.
Programs: PWP Le Chancelier des Clefs d'Or || Sarcasm, Anti-Stupidity, Obscure References top tier member.
Originally Posted by lovetotravel
After re reading the OP, that is not what he did. He applied for A membership rewards card not a Hlton Amex card. Opening of the 2nd account seems to have been done by Hilton, as a benefit of having the amex gold card.

This is new to me as well, that a hilton account and points are an additional benefit of having a gold amex with membership rewards.
Even if Hilton gave him the second account, he could have stopped the CSR and asked about an existing account.
Old Jul 21, 2008, 5:16 pm

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ConciergeMike
Even if Hilton gave him the second account, he could have stopped the CSR and asked about an existing account.

At which point should he have asked? Seems to me from the OP that the first he knew of this was when he received the letter. If you got a letter offering 25,000 membership rewards points, why would you even think about HHonors?
Old Jul 21, 2008, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Got it. I misread. Corrected I stand.
Old Jul 23, 2008, 11:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, MR Silver
Same Problem Here

Despite the fact that I was asked for and gave my HH number when I applied for the HH Amex Card, I also received a second (blue) HH card. I have called twice now to get it fixed. They most recently claimed that the problem is I have my middle initial on my credit card, but not my HH account. I can't imagine this is the problem, but took my middle initial off my credit card to get this to work. Still waiting for this to be fixed -- so far I haven't gotten any of the promised points due to this problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.