Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Sandton {ZAF}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2001, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH au VS au BMI au
Arrow Hilton Sandton {ZAF}

Any views or comments - have to spend a week there 2 weeks from now.

Jon
Old Jan 31, 2001, 3:32 pm

Programs: AA LT Platinum, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium
This is a fantastic property!

The executive level serves a full complimentary sit down breakfast for guests on that floor.

Rooms are great. Suites are fantastic. Shopping across the street.
Old Jan 31, 2001, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Very nice property on the edge of Sandton. Big rooms, relaxed lobby bar. Friendly staff. [The most exquisitely tall and beautiful, proud Zulu I have ever set my eyes on, working as one of their door persons, she very nearly stole my heart...] As noted, there is good "mall" shopping just across the street [Village Walk], and the huge Sandton Square is a 10-minute walk along what I found to be a safe — during the day — main street. For a taste of superb African game and beef, there is a Steak House in the main square of Sandton Square near the Agfa Theatre. One of the better crafts markets is located on the edge of the parking lot of the Village Walk, and you will find some good deals on smaller souvenirs at this and another set of stalls at the foot of the steps leading into Sandton Square.

Check at the Concierge Desk about tours of Soweto. These are very informative and run by small business people in that community. They are safe, but bring lots of 1R and 5R coins, plus candies for all the children you'll meet during walksabouts on the tour. Also included is a Shebeen Lunch, though you pay separately for this.

Enjoy your time here. Be careful, of course, when walking through Jbg itself. But also try and get into the city to see the Museum Afrika, and then walk over to the Centennial Brewery Square to do the tour and quaff a few cold ones at the rooftop pub. One of the best deals in town for 5R. You can get a cab from the hotel into the city, and book one to pick you up.

[This message has been edited by Shareholder (edited 02-01-2001).]
Old Feb 1, 2001, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
That steakhouse - The Butcher's Shop - is divine, with (for us Europeans at least) high quality food at modest prices.

But BEWARE if ordering wine. Make sure you ask for and order from the winelist.

If you order from the wine they show you, check the price as it will almost certainly be 'vintage', i.e. very expensive!

The regular wine is wonderful, of course.
Old Oct 29, 2002, 1:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Hilton Sandton

I need to be in JNB for a couple of days. How is this property/neighborhood these days?

Is 1140 Rand a decent price?
Old Oct 29, 2002, 1:59 am

Programs: Still a lowly Blue with BA but inching towards Bronze. Managed to get to KLM Silver!
I've stayed in the Hilton Santon as few times and it is fine. The neighbourhood seems to be safe although if you are going to Santon City at night I would ask the concierge to take you over in the minibus. I walked it a couple of times but was chatised by the concierge when I got back!

The rate sounds reasonable. I never seem to be able to get a really good rate.
Old Oct 29, 2002, 5:08 am
Original Member

Location: OMNI Award Winner, Recipient: Ol' Goal Personal Sootkase Tag Award. The Very Special Punki Authentic PiP Sootkase Tag, Pin, & T-Shirt. .........PRE-
arturo kannot find sandton en oklahoma. wher es et?

------------------
Loving, Caring, Honest, Intelligent, Empathetic, Creative, and Giving©.
Old Oct 29, 2002, 5:29 am

Jo'burg

Tim
Old Oct 29, 2002, 5:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I stayed twice in August and got a suite both times as a gold, paid around 650 ZAR, booked on hilton.com. (And got 2 x $10 Land's End e-coupons.)

Nice Executive lounge, most drinks and breakfast complimentary.

If you haven't been to SA before, check advice on security but don't be paranoid about it.
Old Nov 11, 2002, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Any recommendations with regards to transportation from JNB (airport) to the Hilton Sandton? (The website lists several alternatives: taxi, bus, limo, super-shuttle.)
Old Nov 11, 2002, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I cabbed it last time and got a lift back, so can't comment on the alternatives, except:

- the shared bus transfer seems to be almost the cost of a cab, and more if there are two of you;
- public transport is out, though they will build a high speed rail service linking Pretoria, JNB and Sandton - won't be ready for years, but welcome when it is - JNB to Sandton in 12 minutes.

The hotel has limos and mini-buses and could pick you up - won't be cheaper but at least you will earn more HH points.
Old Nov 15, 2002, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The hotel sent a car for me for 260 Rand. I got a nice suite upgrade with my Gold card and a bottle of wine and a fruit plate. It's a pretty nice hotel.
Old Nov 15, 2002, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks stimpy. Did you arrange that with the hotel prior to your travel or did you call for the car upon arrival?
Old Nov 20, 2002, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I called the hotel directly to arrange for the car.
Old Nov 20, 2002, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
There is a shuttle minibus that runs to/from all the Sandton hotels every 45-/60-minutes from/to JNB. It is cheap and safe. There is a very good craft market in the parking lot of the shopping mall across the street from the Hilton. It is about a 10-minute walk from the hotel to the main Sandton City complex, past the new Stock Exchange building and several other major bank offices along the strip. Daytime is safe, as long as you are not flaunting your rings and watches and cameras. Definitely not recommended to walk after sun down. You should also take a cab into the city to visit the Museum Africa [good exhibitions about the recent history of the country] and if you like beer, the SAB pavilion across the way from this museum for a tour and lots of free brew. You can have your cab pick you up from either the museum or brewery centre a few hours later. By no means, walk anywhere else in central Johannesburg. Do, however, have the Concierge arrange a half-day tour of Soweto. Bring along lots of hard candies and small coins and bills to distribute at appropriate points on the tour.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.