Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Anyone use Honors points to rent a car?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone use Honors points to rent a car?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2003, 5:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Try priceline.com or hotwire.com or orbitz.com after checking BFT. Honestly I have never heard of 20 dolla/day car rental taxes. I do not believe I have more than 30 dolla/day TOTAL for car rents in the past year or two.

MisterNice
Old Jun 16, 2006, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Anyone use HHonors points to rent a car?

My oldest son is getting married. Since I don't have to shell out nearly the amount my daughter's wedding cost, I told him I'd provide the honeymoon. Of course, the less cash I use, the better. I have already booked the award flights and award rooms. Total out of pocket cost, $20 so far. He wants a car for 3 days. I noticed that I can book a free day rental for 15,000 HH points from Alamo. Anyone done this? It doesn't seem like good use of points, but the less cash I spend, the more I can give him to cover meals and incidentals.

thoughts?
Old Jun 16, 2006, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
I've done it with Avis, though not for a couple of years. Fine if you have the points to spare, though if it is a weekend rental you can usually find pretty cheap prices. As I recall it was all pretty simple. Just call in the reservation as a HH points cert. As I recall I did it for my parents out of a local Avis office in the Chicago area. Never any problems.
Old Jun 17, 2006, 10:31 am

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
There are some awesome Avis discount codes available, so personally, I don't think I would part with points for a car rental. Any feeling of gain by not spending real cash would be offset with the knowledge of how the points could be used more advantageously.

If your heart is already telling you it's not the best deal, then it probably isn't. The money (and then some) that you spend on the rental now will be recouped immediately the next time you get a room on wisely used points. That's how I see it.
Old Jun 17, 2006, 4:14 pm

I agree, it is a bad use of points, since worst case scenario, you could priceline a car (and I've had success scoring full-size cars for riduculous amounts like $9/ day!).

Actually Avis is running a promo right now -- rent a car for 5 days and get a free weekend later. I know your son only wants a car for 3, but if his honeymoon will go on longer, you should do this and get a free weekend to use on him or someone else later.

BTW, congrats on BamaVol Jr's wedding! ^
Old Jun 17, 2006, 6:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
I would consider PL as well, which is great for rental cars. I'm sure you got a better deal using points for the honeymoon than the bride's family did paying for the reception
Old Jun 17, 2006, 7:48 pm
Original Member

Check out www.hotwire.com
also. The pricing I have received from hotwire has been comparable to rates received from PL, and you know the price up front before reserving. This can be useful when comparing prices quoted from the regular rental car websites. I do not think that using points is a good idea. Can anyone verify if you are still responsible for all taxes and add-ons when using points for a car rental which makes it that much worse of a deal if true.
Old Jun 18, 2006, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by 3timesalady
I agree, it is a bad use of points, since worst case scenario, you could priceline a car (and I've had success scoring full-size cars for riduculous amounts like $9/ day!).

Actually Avis is running a promo right now -- rent a car for 5 days and get a free weekend later. I know your son only wants a car for 3, but if his honeymoon will go on longer, you should do this and get a free weekend to use on him or someone else later.

BTW, congrats on BamaVol Jr's wedding! ^
Thank you. 2 down, 2 to go.

Unfortunately, the timing and location are fixed. They will spend Wed-Fri in Napa and Sat-Tue in San Francisco. Parking at the San Francisco Hilton in $46.50/day! And, they should not need a car for those 3 days. The car will be used to get to Napa and back, which I think is more essential, and possibly a day trip out of Napa - maybe Muir Woods, Sausalito or what ever takes their fancy. I think someone is going to gift them with a trip on the wine train.

I like the PL and Hotwire idea. I'd rather keep the 45,000 points. Sometimes I like the challenge of seeing how little a trip can cost overall, but it isn't a good use of points.
Old Aug 1, 2008, 11:58 pm
Suspended

Anyone redeem car rentals with HH points?

In a frenzy to burn miles and points, I am thinking of burning my last 15,000 or so points on a car rental.

Can this be done immediately or must one request a certificate and wait 2-4 weeks then make a car reservation? I want to use it at the end of the month.
Old Aug 2, 2008, 1:48 pm
Suspended

Answer: You won't be stuck with a certificate that you can't redeem because of award unavailability.

Call Hilton HHonors at 800 548 8690, open 5 am to 130 am Central Time (US).
They will give you an award code. Then you call the car rental company and reserve a car. Once you have a reservation, call Hilton again and they will deduct points.
Old Aug 19, 2008, 5:54 am

Programs: HILTON HONOURS
honour points on car hire

Hi, im new so please forgive me if this is in the wrong place, but can i book car hire direct using my honour points as i cannot see to do it on line?
or can i book just car hire with my points?
Old Aug 19, 2008, 6:07 am

Programs: DL, AA
Welcome to FlyerTalk, pugg.

You an use your HHonors points to book a rental car, but you must call Hilton in order to book it.
Old Aug 19, 2008, 7:44 am

Programs: HILTON HONOURS
thank you

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.