Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Honours Elite Benefits - Booking through BA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Honours Elite Benefits - Booking through BA

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2017, 7:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Club Carlson Concierge
Question Hilton Honours Elite Benefits - Booking through BA

Need help - first post on here!
Looking to book to go to Prague for 3 nights in early Feb.
Almost paid extra to go to the Hilton as it has Exec lounge and being Diamond I would get a room upgrade/breakfast.
However it seems after searching the vast internet forums etc. you do not get this benefit (or at least shouldn’t) if not booked "direct".
My next option was Radisson given I am also Concierge with them but alas i also don’t know their stand point.
Any help or experiences would be much appreciated!
1. Should i book Hilton and pay more and risk it?
2. Pay substantially less for a nice independent hotel?
3. Pay substantially more for separate hotel/flight bookings?

Last edited by weeneilson; Jan 19, 2017 at 8:20 am Reason: Atrocious Spelling
Old Jan 19, 2017, 7:15 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, UA Silver
No need to "risk" anything-- contact the Hilton directly and ask them if they'll honor your Diamond status if the booking is made through BA. If they say no, you can then decide whether the cost differential of booking separately (your option 3) is worth the lounge and breakfast compared to booking a different property. If Hilton declines, you can ask the same question of Radisson.

If you're considering the Hilton Old Town Prague, it is one of my favorite properties- great lounge, location, restaurant breakfast. They were very good to me as a gold- I'd definitely ask them before doing anything else.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 7:18 am
Original Poster

Cheers Whimsey - i was looking at Hilton Prague initially as wasnt sure if Old Town had Lounge etc so will consider this too now.
Off i go to send some emails!
Old Jan 19, 2017, 8:11 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, UA Silver
Do report back and let us know how you fare...
Old Jan 19, 2017, 8:35 am

Programs: QR Platinum, WY Gold, Shangri-la Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I booked Hilton Old Town through BA Flight + Holiday. HH Gold benefits were honoured on presenting my card at check-in with an upgrade to Exec floor and free breakfast in main restaurant (although as expected no stays/nights credit posted). We were treated extremely well - a good property and really great staff.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by purple1addict
I booked Hilton Old Town through BA Flight + Holiday. HH Gold benefits were honoured on presenting my card at check-in with an upgrade to Exec floor and free breakfast in main restaurant (although as expected no stays/nights credit posted). We were treated extremely well - a good property and really great staff.
Thats promising!! Did you get use of the lounge?
Old Jan 19, 2017, 8:45 am

Programs: QR Platinum, WY Gold, Shangri-la Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by weeneilson
Thats promising!! Did you get use of the lounge?
Yes indeed! Pretty good by Hilton's Europe standards - good salad items, couple of hot items, beer, wine (including a Czech sparkling wine) and spirits etc. Choice of lounge or restaurant for breakfast - we chose restaurant and it was great (including Eggs Benedict on request!).
Old Jan 19, 2017, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Some hotels will still provide status benefits even when booking through a 3rd party site (like BA), even though the HH terms and conditions are clear that hotels do not have to provide those benefits. Others follow the t and c's.
See these threads:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...ed-hilton.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...n-website.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...s-account.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...m-booking.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...-benefits.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...-bookings.html
Old Jan 19, 2017, 10:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
First of all, is the BA flights+hotel option *really* yielding better rates than booking separately? I'm so used to seeing the exact opposite on the various airlines' package sites - it's inevitably more money than booking each piece separately using optimal rates/codes for each. So if you're dead-set sure this is an optimal deal, then I guess I'll just say "good for BA" - I'm genuinely surprised.

Second, in Europe I usually love the small boutique independent hotels as they're usually far less expensive than the global brands. Since these places usually don't have the concept of elite status, you aren't really disadvantaged by being a first-time guest at one. However, Flyertalk has long loved the Hilton Old Town in Prague, so this is I'd probably want to try out as a Diamond.

Just out of curiosity, what was the price difference between the package and booking separately?
Old Jan 20, 2017, 1:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pinniped
First of all, is the BA flights+hotel option *really* yielding better rates than booking separately? I'm so used to seeing the exact opposite on the various airlines' package sites - it's inevitably more money than booking each piece separately using optimal rates/codes for each. So if you're dead-set sure this is an optimal deal, then I guess I'll just say "good for BA" - I'm genuinely surprised.

Second, in Europe I usually love the small boutique independent hotels as they're usually far less expensive than the global brands. Since these places usually don't have the concept of elite status, you aren't really disadvantaged by being a first-time guest at one. However, Flyertalk has long loved the Hilton Old Town in Prague, so this is I'd probably want to try out as a Diamond.

Just out of curiosity, what was the price difference between the package and booking separately?
Its £480 for the Hilton Prague and £511 for the Old Town for flights plus hotel on BA as a package for two.

BA Flights are working out around £500.58 for two with the cheapest hotel room in Old town being £67 per night (£201) and £58 per night (£174) in the Hilton Prague.

Shocked me but the difference is therfore almost £200 for the three nights and the package is actually cheaper for the Hilton Prague than just the flights!
Old Jan 20, 2017, 1:07 am
Original Poster

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
Some hotels will still provide status benefits even when booking through a 3rd party site (like BA), even though the HH terms and conditions are clear that hotels do not have to provide those benefits. Others follow the t and c's.
See these threads:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...ed-hilton.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...n-website.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...s-account.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...m-booking.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...-benefits.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...-bookings.html
Thanks!!
Old Jan 20, 2017, 1:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by purple1addict
Yes indeed! Pretty good by Hilton's Europe standards - good salad items, couple of hot items, beer, wine (including a Czech sparkling wine) and spirits etc. Choice of lounge or restaurant for breakfast - we chose restaurant and it was great (including Eggs Benedict on request!).
Think it may be the old town we go to then! looks great - I did note the other HP was voted "Best hotel in Prague 5 years running" but i dont know who that is according to! ^
Old Jan 20, 2017, 2:22 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by pinniped
First of all, is the BA flights+hotel option *really* yielding better rates than booking separately? I'm so used to seeing the exact opposite on the various airlines' package sites - it's inevitably more money than booking each piece separately using optimal rates/codes for each.
I have a business trip to FRA from LHR on Monday/Tuesday, staying at the Hampton, booked as a BA holiday.

The hotel was more expensive than going direct (looking at the price shown in MyFlights - I was billed globally) or even using the corporate rate, but worked out as basically free because it opened up a much cheaper Q fare on BA as the fare didn't meet the minimum stay for the cheapest BA published fares.

For short notice, mid-week flights, the savings can be substantial.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 4:48 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold
Personally i've found if i'm outside the US all my benefits are honoured (I'm Diamond).

I have always had every single benefit honoured without question or need to ask/beg in Europe, UK and Asia Pacific. Hilton have been good to me and certainly didn't have to, they chose to be including breakfasts in main dining room as opposed to exec lounge only.

As we know officially Hilton in all their literature do not honour priveleges anymore (since last year) if booked through a 3rd party but I have a feeling they are highly selective as to WHO that 3rd party is and react accordingly.

I overheard a Gold check-in at Hilton Gatwick South last week and was whingey because his Hotels.com booking priveleges weren't being honoured....however my BA holidays booking was without question right after him.

In my view book direct where possible as the stay credit and points are absolutely worth it but if it's not dooable (rate is either too high or you're booking as a holiday package) chose BA.

Last edited by TheClassicPom; Jan 20, 2017 at 4:50 am Reason: typos
Old Jan 23, 2017, 1:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by whimsey21
Do report back and let us know how you fare...
I recieved an email from Hilton on Saturday... it reads as so:

Dear Mr. Neilson,

Thank you very much for your email and let me thank you for your loyalty in Hilton HHonors membership program.

Please note, that reservations made though British Airwaves are not entitled for the benefits of Hilton HHonors points and benefits. We will be glad to provide you with all the benefits of your Diamond membership whenever you’ll make the reservation directly through your app or on the Hilton webpage with your HHonors account.

Please let us know in case of further assistance or any other requests.

We are looking forward to see you in Prague!

Kind Regards

XXX XXXX
Executive Reception

Looks as though they will not honour however i have booked nonetheless and will ask the question at check in - fingers crossed.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Mar 9, 2017 at 12:33 am Reason: per FT rules, employee info should be anonymous

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.