Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hampton by Hilton London Docklands {GBR}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hampton by Hilton London Docklands {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2016, 11:44 am
Original Poster

Arrow Hampton by Hilton London Docklands {GBR}

Noticed this has popped up as 'Coming Soon'
It's more London Excel than Docklands .
Old Dec 29, 2016, 2:08 pm

Programs: hhonors diamond
Originally Posted by maxandclaude2000
Noticed this has popped up as 'Coming Soon'
It's more London Excel than Docklands .
Yeah, my lady told me about this whist I was driving home today ( she was looking at prices ) , will have a look.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 2:46 pm

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
Where exactly is it? So many new builds around the area, it's hard to picture this one. There's a Travelodge & Holiday Inn Express along with the Regatta Centre there, with the Doubletree on the other side of the bridge.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 4:47 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club refugee: BA-Br; HH-D
Originally Posted by chistery
Where exactly is it? So many new builds around the area, it's hard to picture this one. There's a Travelodge & Holiday Inn Express along with the Regatta Centre there, with the Doubletree on the other side of the bridge.
From the map, it looks like it's on the north side of the Connaught Bridge near the doubletree. Maybe a takeover-makeover of the Travelodge or HIx
Old Dec 29, 2016, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by chistery
I'm pretty sure it is next to the Moxy. When I stayed at the HIX in July there were two buildings under construction - one was covered in coming soon signage for the Moxy and there was only building company signage on the other.

So from Royal Albert station heading back towards Excel the hotels will run in the following order

HIX
Travelodge
Moxy
Hampton
DT
Premier Inn

If it is that building (going by the map I think it is) it is through the driveway at the end of the DT car park.

EDIT - going by the link below from 2014 it would appear to be this spot.

http://www.bighospitality.co.uk/Busi...ndon-Docklands

Last edited by chrism20; Dec 29, 2016 at 4:59 pm
Old Dec 30, 2016, 1:10 am

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
Thanks chrism20. I did a bit of searching and it's right on the corner by the roundabout, so there'll be plenty of road noise to go alongside the planes!

Planning app PDF and some views of the front
Old Dec 30, 2016, 5:26 am

Programs: LH/*A Gold, BA/OW Emerald, EK Silver, SPG Plat, HH Gold
Thanks for the information. This could be an interesting /affordable option for City/Canary Wharf trips.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 2:40 pm

Programs: Kettle Class
I see Cash and Points rates of 31GBP + 8,000 Honors pts. for later in the year. Seems quite reasonably priced.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 10:26 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Stayed there for two nights this week.

It's a Hampton, so I won't wax too lyrical, but staff were good, there's a bar and a basic menu selection, the rooms were immaculate and spacious, the gym was decent and it's only a very short walk from the DLR station. 25 - 30 minutes from Tower Gateway DLR, so not exactly central but a decent budget option (half the price of a central London Travelodge and a quarter of the price of a Hilton in central London).
Old May 10, 2018, 3:58 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I will add some comments and photos here since this hotel hasn't had much feedback yet.

I had a one night stay there recently, done more out of curiosity than anything else, but on the night in question it was the cheapest Hilton option within 10 miles of London Eye, with the usual exception of the two Croydon hotels, and by about 15. I think its rates are often lower at shorter notice bookings. It has rates as low as 54, though 80 / 90 is perhaps more typical. The hotel does routinely get fully booked. The hotel is larger than the photo above suggests, there is a rear building as well.

Nearest DLR station is Prince Albert, a few minutes walk away, though Prince Regent is only slight further. It is a 10 minute walk, using a footbridge, to LCY, London City Airport.

The immediate area is part of the London Dock regeneration project, by the old Compressor Building for the Royal Docks. It is a bit soul-less, modern buildings all concrete and glass, but doubtless it will weather with age. The practical upshot of this is that there are very few facilities in the immediate area, so no shops and only a limited range of restaurants and cafs in walking distance. At the Rowing Centre in front of the hotel there is a caf and a Chinese restaurant, then the other hotels alongside also have restaurant options. From what I could make out from a single sample, the Travelodge seems to be popular as an eating place and watering hole. However on the whole, best to plan to eat out and bring supplies to the hotel rather than expecting much locally.

This being a Hampton, the rooms are nearly identical to other Hamptons opened recently. The room was fine, not exactly big but not too cramped either, but it was clean and still feeling new. My room is the Twin Room, the two other options being a Queen Room, with one bed but with an easy chair; and Queen Room with Sofa Bed. At base price level all rooms cost the same. It was quiet in the room despite the presence of a particularly noisy airport less than a mile away and the DLR also running close by. The windows don't open but the air conditioning seemed efficient and not too noisy. The room had a useful desk, and there was an iron in the cupboard in line with the brand standard. There was also a kettle along with tea and coffee supplies.

The bathroom was a reasonable size, with wall bottle cosmetics and reasonable water pressure.

The public area seems to be in 3 zone. This the main area by the check-in desk and bar area. The bar has a limtied range of evening meals. There is also a long desk work area with power points (not in photo); then at the back and just visible in the foreground of this photo is the breakfast area.

Breakfast was fine, nothing special and full in line with the brand standard. There is a limited set of hot options such as scrambled egg, sausage, bacon, beans. And some yoghurt. fruit, cereal and toast available. Nothing special but it was fine.

I didn't get a chance to check the gym, other than I know it was available. I also didn't record the wifi speed but I recall it was reasonably good.

Overall a perfectly reasonable hotel, but somewhat out of the centre of things. I would stay there again, though it wouldn't be my first choice of venue, but I would plan carefully, in view of the limited facilities. Note that the DLR has occasional closures at weekend, which are advertised some months in advance on the TfL (Transport for London) website.
panka likes this.
Old May 10, 2018, 4:29 pm

Thanks for the trip report, I've often wondered about this option and agree it can be very cheap on price, however on the couple of times I needed to be in the area I choose the doubletree as whilst slightly more expensive I've noticed that when you consider the free parking at the doubletree it's actually around the same price, I guess this only counts if one is driving to the hotel.
Maybe one day I will get to try this addition and like yourself probably through curiosity.
Old May 10, 2018, 4:51 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club refugee: BA-Br; HH-D
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
...I didn't get a chance to check the gym, other than I know it was available. I also didn't record the wifi speed but I recall it was reasonably good...
Just to add to c-w-s comprehensive review - I have stayed here a few times and used the gym. It is decent and certainly as much as one could expect relative to the hotel price-point. It contains a few treadmills and bikes and at least one cross-trainer - also some weights that I didn't pay attention to. My main recollections were that: (1) the gym was too hot and the air con adjustment had little effect; and (2) the water cooler was broken on both occasions I visited. On the second I was irritated enough to present myself in the lobby in a sweating state (nice...) to ask for a glass of water!

I liked this hotel overall. Its proximity to LCY and relative newness stand it in good stead. Though as the hotel becomes tired over time it may well become less appealing.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 9:51 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
I'm hoping to base myself out of this hotel for a few days after the August bank holiday as the price is decent. I'll be heading into London (paddington and Waterloo) to make day trips to several gardens, so I'll be leaving around 7 am and returning around 9 pm each day. Is it relatively safe for a single middle aged woman to walk to and from the DLR to the hotel at dusk? I'm used to walking around by myself in London, just haven't spent a lot of time in this area. Other option would be to spend a little more and stay in Ealing or Olympia. I did not love Olympia on my last visit, but that was 10 years ago.

lala
Old Jul 13, 2018, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by lalala
I'm hoping to base myself out of this hotel for a few days after the August bank holiday as the price is decent. I'll be heading into London (paddington and Waterloo) to make day trips to several gardens, so I'll be leaving around 7 am and returning around 9 pm each day. Is it relatively safe for a single middle aged woman to walk to and from the DLR to the hotel at dusk? I'm used to walking around by myself in London, just haven't spent a lot of time in this area. Other option would be to spend a little more and stay in Ealing or Olympia. I did not love Olympia on my last visit, but that was 10 years ago.

lala
I've been walking around that area since I was very young and never seen or heard of any issues, in fact I would say the area is safer now than it was back in the 80s............ it's really not far from the DLR stop literally minutes, the old Victoria dock is also a great place for a wander if you have time too.
I stayed at Hilton Olympia last week and had a reasonable stay, it was a little tired but great executive lounge ( see my trip report in relevant thread )...... hope this helps.
lalala likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 10:07 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
It does thanks! Its good to get out my routine.
wizla likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.