Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hampton by Hilton London Waterloo {GBR}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hampton by Hilton London Waterloo {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2015, 5:08 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP MM, HH Diamond
Arrow Hampton by Hilton London Waterloo {GBR}

Hampton Waterloo - have stayed there 3 times recently for work.
Quick walk from Waterloo train station - not a lot around it.
Rooms were good, clean etc, fast internet, friendly staff and standard buffet breakfast.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 3:27 am
TTL

Programs: HH Diam, AY/AX/KQ/IHG/VISA Plat, SK/Bonvoy/Melia/Strawberry Gold, Radisson Prem, PP Prest
Stayed there last night. The location near Waterloo tube stop is ok. Especially in a rainy morning like today, it took less than 5 minutes (traveling without an umbrella) to get to station from hotel.

I had a room on the 7th floor with(out) a view facing south-east. Had checked in using the app and received the room I had selected. No asking for wake up call. Free wifi with adequate speed for everyone. A smallish room, a functional bathroom with soap and shampoo dispensers bolted to the wall, and a walk in shower. Poor water pressure. Very efficient AC, had to turn it off completely not to freeze. Sound insulation between the rooms left much to desire. Luckily, did not have very noisy neighbours. A small tv-set, 28" I suppose. The safetybox was located in a drawer by the bed, not in the closet like it usually is in Hiltons - had to ask from lobby. No rack for luggage. A very small closet and too few hangers for clothes. No room service. No minibar.

A nice bar and diner with reasonable prices downstairs. Breakfast seemed to be complimentary for everyone, make sure to be there before 7AM to avoid congestion. Perfectly adequate servings, completely self service, rather cheap looking red trays to help picking up the items. Only orange juice, no grapefruit juice, or tomato juice, not to mention apple juice. One type of cheese, one type of cold cut. Nice selection of bakeries though.

All in all, ok in other aspects but pricing. £199 per night is too much for this experience. And that seems to be the lowest easy cancel rate during the week also in the near future. No point bargains here. For that Metropole and even Paddington offer hard competition and I will not mind taking some more time in tube to reach those. As an alternative for nites when Canary Wharf or Tower Bridge wish to charge £300+ per night.

PS. Forgot to mention no lounge, no water bottles in room, nor any kind of diamond recognition. Not even non stop check out. Lame. I definitely do not understand, why some people would grant ***** and therefore overall rating of #154 of 1,062 Hotels in London as in the well known trip advice service.

Last edited by TTL; Mar 26, 2015 at 9:05 am Reason: PS.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 4:58 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP MM, HH Diamond
Oh I got water and bag of sweets - just asked for them and they said yes take what you want .. so I did!
Nights I have stayed there (usually Sundays for work on Mondays) rates have been good at around £75

Also with coffee making facilities in the room - I hate the small milk cartons and no problem with me asking and given a jug of fresh milk to my room to use.
I have been lucky and got a room overlooking the London Eye on all occasions.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 2:47 am

Originally Posted by TTL
Stayed there last night. The location near Waterloo tube stop is ok. Especially in a rainy morning like today, it took less than 5 minutes (traveling without an umbrella) to get to station from hotel.

I had a room on the 7th floor with(out) a view facing south-east. Had checked in using the app and received the room I had selected. No asking for wake up call. Free wifi with adequate speed for everyone. A smallish room, a functional bathroom with soap and shampoo dispensers bolted to the wall, and a walk in shower. Poor water pressure. Very efficient AC, had to turn it off completely not to freeze. Sound insulation between the rooms left much to desire. Luckily, did not have very noisy neighbours. A small tv-set, 28" I suppose. The safetybox was located in a drawer by the bed, not in the closet like it usually is in Hiltons - had to ask from lobby. No rack for luggage. A very small closet and too few hangers for clothes. No room service. No minibar.

A nice bar and diner with reasonable prices downstairs. Breakfast seemed to be complimentary for everyone, make sure to be there before 7AM to avoid congestion. Perfectly adequate servings, completely self service, rather cheap looking red trays to help picking up the items. Only orange juice, no grapefruit juice, or tomato juice, not to mention apple juice. One type of cheese, one type of cold cut. Nice selection of bakeries though.

All in all, ok in other aspects but pricing. £199 per night is too much for this experience. And that seems to be the lowest easy cancel rate during the week also in the near future. No point bargains here. For that Metropole and even Paddington offer hard competition and I will not mind taking some more time in tube to reach those. As an alternative for nites when Canary Wharf or Tower Bridge wish to charge £300+ per night.

PS. Forgot to mention no lounge, no water bottles in room, nor any kind of diamond recognition. Not even non stop check out. Lame. I definitely do not understand, why some people would grant ***** and therefore overall rating of #154 of 1,062 Hotels in London as in the well known trip advice service.
What you have described is a pretty standard Hampton tbh. £199 anywhere else but London would be considered a rip off but when compared to this hotels four nearest budget competitors (Days Inn Waterloo, HIX Southwark, Travelodge Waterloo and Premier Inn Waterloo) the cheapest one for a random midweek date next month is £164. All of a sudden £199 for a budget property with the Hilton tag looks reasonable.

More than likely a lot of the Tripadvisor five star reports will also be from guests who frequent this and the four other budget chains in the area and when compared against them the Hampton will look good.

At £199 the £300 at the Wharf starts to look good value by the time you factor in the complementary breakfast, upgrade and lounge access.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Any recent experiences here? How are Diamonds treated?

Thanks.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by username
Any recent experiences here? How are Diamonds treated?

Thanks.
More recent than last comments on here, but not very recent. Stayed there March 2018 for 5 nights. Staff was nice enough, nothing to say good or bad. For a free buffet, the breakfast was far better than any of the comparable brands I've stayed at in the US. Their in house restaurant is quite plain though, I would avoid ordering anything there. I got complimentary upgrade to "city view" room as a Gold, I imagine you'll get the same. If you look at their rooms list, it doesn't look like they have anything higher: https://hamptoninn3.hilton.com/en/ho...ons/rooms.html

Area is nice, quite a few restaurants nearby. Bus stations right in front of hotel. Quite a trek from Waterloo Station though, esp if you're hauling luggage around.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 11:06 pm

Programs: AA 2MM former EXP - driven away by "Enhancements", MVPG75, Hilton Diamond
2020 Renovations?

Is this Hampton Inn being renovated in early 2020? It seems that post Feb 1, 2020, you cannot reserve a room. Is there a reason for this? This is one of the few London hotels that don't charge a premium for 3 people in a room - hence the question.

Last edited by 2TallSeaFlyer; Apr 12, 2019 at 11:24 pm
Old Apr 15, 2019, 4:49 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Originally Posted by 2TallSeaFlyer
Is this Hampton Inn being renovated in early 2020? It seems that post Feb 1, 2020, you cannot reserve a room. Is there a reason for this? This is one of the few London hotels that don't charge a premium for 3 people in a room - hence the question.
It's still pretty new, so I doubt it will be in for a renovation. More likely is that they haven't loaded inventory yet. Some properties don't have rates loaded in yet for that far ahead, so it is a case of waiting it out usually. You can always contact the hotel and see if they can give a prompt to their colleagues about getting rates loaded, or at least finding out when they will be.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 12:28 am

5-8 June 2022. Diamond, paid cash, two rooms.

I had planned to look around a bit more, in the Waterloo area, for other options, but time got away from me.

Leave the Waterloo station via exit 2 (Waterloo Road) and turn right. 5-6 minute walk with bags to the property. Also 15-30 minute walk to many London sites.

Not much to report; fairly standard property. Got there a bit early (11 AM) and was allowed check-in. Diamond - 250 points or a bottle of water and a bag of crisps. Rooms were standard. Hardware seemed fairly new and well maintained. I would have liked to have a mini fridge, but it was not a requirement (I always forget many non-US hotels lack a mini fridge).

An addition is being built; looks as if the property is being expanded fairly substantially. The noise did not bother us, both rooms were facing Waterloo Road. Perhaps the rooms facing in the other directions may be affected by noise. Note that the property's website mentions construction quite prominently.

Breakfast had many options all of which being commercial breakfast food, but it was adequate (although the powdered eggs were really bad). I ate around 7 AM each morning and the breakfast area was crowded. When leaving the property at 9 AM each day, the breakfast area was downright packed.

On Lower Marsh, five minute walk, there are food truck-like vendors M-F. I had some fairly decent food for lunch one day. FYI...
Old Jun 12, 2022, 4:04 am

Programs: Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by lamphs
On Lower Marsh, five minute walk, there are food truck-like vendors M-F. I had some fairly decent food for lunch one day. FYI...
I’m in this area a fair bit and echo this. There are also more cafes/restaurants in The Cut. There are also 3-4 places that have opened in the Leake Street tunnel.

This hotel is also close to the Imperial War
Museum and the Old and New Vic theatres. 15-20 minute walk to Parliament Square.
lamphs and wizla like this.

Last edited by lcylocal; Jun 12, 2022 at 9:44 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.