Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Bristol City Centre {GBR}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Bristol City Centre {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2013, 3:44 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad VIP, Marriott G
Arrow DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Bristol City Centre {GBR}

This hotel used to be a Ramada and has been rebranded as a Doubletree at the end of May 2013.

Queen Square by BA_pics, on Flickr

The location is very convenient for those travelling by rail to Bristol as it is less than 500m from the Bristol Temple Meads Rail station. (so about the same distance as the newish Hilton Garden Inn also nearby).

The price seemed to be about the same as the HGI, however, I did notice that the parking was cheaper here (£ 5 / night) compared to £ 10 for the HGI, also, I noticed that the DT has 120 spaces so parking should not be a problem. Indeed the parking was free for Diamonds (thank you! ^)

The hotel is right beside the St. Mary Redcliffe Church in Bristol, which is worthwhile visiting if you happen to be checking out Bristol and is convenient if you are trying to drive to the hotel as the church is one of the tourist landmarks and signposted well in the city.

The hotel is quite convenient for any Bristol activities and easily within walking distance of downtown restaurants, bars and the harbour.

The hotel looks great and obviously everything is quite new (well, except for the elevators which are quite small).

Reception is one level up from the main entrance (there are stairs and elevators) and there is a bar and lounge area after the reception as you can see in the photo below:

reception bar by BA_pics, on Flickr

The restaurant is a bit further behind this and is an interesting circular shape which was obviously some other holding facility in the past that has been repurposed with windows all around and a nice ambience:

circular restaurant by BA_pics, on Flickr

We had breakfast in the restaurant (I honestly don't know if there is a lounge but I doubt it) and the full buffet was quite good with a decent variety of breads, fruit, muesli, cereal, yoghurt, hot items (including black pudding) and porridge. Breakfast was free of charge for my wife and I as a diamond.

The staff were very friendly throughout and really seem to want to make the guest feel appreciated and welcome. ^^

I had booked at the last minute (booked 22:30 and arrived 23:00) so am not sure if I would have received water or internet vouchers or another room if they had more time but I did get a King sized bed (my preference in my profile) instead of the double bed I had booked without having to ask (again, thanks to the hotel) ^^

I didn't get to photograph the room before the wife claimed the space with her bits and pieces so apologies for the sometimes dodgy pics (which I took just before checking out so not showing the room in its best light!)

view towards entrance by BA_pics, on Flickr

The rooms are very nice, decent sized with a general middle grey and white colour scheme. The quality of the finish is excellent. Someone has been doing some homework as there were power points everywhere ^^^ (on the bedside table, on the desk, on the floor where you could put a suitcase, etc...)

chair and bedside table power point by BA_pics, on Flickr

The King sized bed was very comfortable but I don't have a picture of it.

The bathroom was small but very nice with a large shower that has a rain shower head as well as a flexible hand 'wand' as well...excellent pressure and hot water to be found here ^

Rainshower head by BA_pics, on Flickr

nice shower by BA_pics, on Flickr

The flush button for the toilet was very unobtrusive but a nice design detail:

very small flush buttons by BA_pics, on Flickr

The sink area was quite large and had enough space to put your toiletries on:

ransacked sink area by BA_pics, on Flickr

Both rooms were very well lit and had plenty of switches to adjust the mood.

The rooms are air conditioned and also had an opening window (which you could open as the noise level wouldn't be too bad in this part of Bristol at night).

The room electronics are controlled by the need to have a room card activate them (so get an extra card to keep in the slot when you are out or at breakfast, etc...)

The TV was a nice 50 inch model that was integrated into the wall.

desk, TV and settee by BA_pics, on Flickr

There was a settee and a chair in the room so plenty of place to sit when in the room and not sleeping.

I didn't try the internet or any of the other facilities in the hotel but would definitely recommend it to any Golds or Diamonds coming to Bristol as the costs are very reasonable and the benefits they give to HHonor members. ^

If I had friends coming to visit and needed to book a room, I think I would consider this my first port of call....

Hope this is useful and interesting to those coming to visit the SouthWest!

Great to see Bristol have some decent choice for hotels (and reasonably priced as well now)...
Old Jun 9, 2013, 9:56 am

Programs: Holder of six "persona non-grata" awards
Ouch! I booked an advance paid three-night stay in September at the HGI nearby. Probably can't move the reservation? Haven't heard much about this HGI, but the DT looks very nice indeed!
Old Jun 9, 2013, 12:56 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Hey fozziedoggie, I don't think you need to worry, both the HGI and the DT seem to be getting good reviews and as both are recent additions I think there is little to differentiate between them really, I just like DT's a bit more personally.

I do still plan to visit the HGI and do a review of that soon so will let you know. They are nearly co-located so no difference in distance to downtown attractions and both about the same pricing structure.

I think as long as people stay away from the Hilton Bristol you will have a decent stay at any 'Bristol' Hilton chain hotel. (the Hilton doesn't deserve the name and should be pulled from the portfolio OR substantially improved). The DT Cadbury House is also apparently very good but is not 'in' Bristol per se...
Old Jun 9, 2013, 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by BotB
Hey fozziedoggie, I don't think you need to worry, both the HGI and the DT seem to be getting good reviews and as both are recent additions I think there is little to differentiate between them really, I just like DT's a bit more personally.

I do still plan to visit the HGI and do a review of that soon so will let you know. They are nearly co-located so no difference in distance to downtown attractions and both about the same pricing structure.

I think as long as people stay away from the Hilton Bristol you will have a decent stay at any 'Bristol' Hilton chain hotel. (the Hilton doesn't deserve the name and should be pulled from the portfolio OR substantially improved). The DT Cadbury House is also apparently very good but is not 'in' Bristol per se...
Fantastic BotB...I look forward to your thorough HGI review.

Thanks! ^ ^
Old Aug 27, 2013, 11:51 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond
Hope I can add a few things to a thoroughly excellent review:

I stayed here on an excellent weekend rate of £53/night, booked under the Great Getaway promotion via TopCashback which gave a whopping 13.x% discount (bringing the rate down to £46). Alongside the Q3 TripleMyTrip points, Iberia Weekend (1000 bonus avios) and x2 Amex MR promotions, it was good value.

As stated, the property is newly renovated and very well finished. As a Gold I had booked a basic double guest room which I saw (through my online reservation) was upgraded to a King Guest Room on the morning of the stay. First impressions were unfortunately poor; although I arrived at just before 4pm, an hour after check-in "officially" opened, my room was not ready. Apparently it still "needed to be vacuumed". The front desk operative suggested I take a seat in the bar and utilise the free drink coupon supplied to me as HH Gold, which I didn't want to do, as I was saving it for later. In hindsight I should have asked for an extra drinks coupon or whether another room was available.

30 minutes later, as I was just about to approach the desk and suggest that I was actually pretty darn handy with a hoover myself, I was told my room was ready. The room was pleasant and well-finished, with a rainshower and small bath and a chaise-longue in front of the window, which looked out over the, er, car park (and also thankfully St Mary Redcliffe church). A 'Visit Bristol' book was included for tourists. My other gripe about the room was the internet, which was pitifully slow and presumably capped. I clocked it with a speed test at 0.5 Mb/s download / 0.25 Mb/s upload, but in reality it harkened back to 56k days, with pages taking several seconds to load and YouTube streaming impossible without severe buffering. Very disappointing - if the speed I experienced is typical, I strongly discourage anyone from trying to work from this hotel.

What I actually most enjoyed about the room was that the (generously-sized) TV was attached to a wall-mounted flexible stand which could be brought out from the wall and angled. This enabled me to access the back panel and plug in my laptop to watch dvds through it on the big screen. So many hotels mount their tellys to the wall with screws meaning access to the HDMI ports etc is impossible, so this was a refreshing change.

Breakfast was free for Golds and served in the visually striking kiln restaurant. Hot and cold options were available; the black pudding, which I made a beeline for after the OP mentioned it, was excellent. Although busy, it was well staffed and they appeared to be on the ball - top marks.

I filled out a comment card on departure stating that the stay was overall very good but the business with the room not being ready on arrival and the internet being deathly slow were disappointing. A couple of days later I received an email apologising and assuring me that they would be remedied, those responsible had been rounded up and metaphorically shot, etc. I took it with a pinch of salt but I guess it's nice to know they read the cards.

I'd recommend the Doubletree Bristol for anyone visiting the city for leisure purposes.

King Guest Room

Chaise Longue + Visit Bristol book

Moveable Telly

Brekkie

Last edited by flyingnomadic; Aug 27, 2013 at 12:03 pm
Old Aug 29, 2013, 6:06 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Thanks for taking the time to post your review with pics ^

Good to know about the internet issues, hope they get that sorted.

I'm amazed at how good of a value this hotel provides for the Bristol area...definitely a great low cost option when you look at the Marriott, Accor or IHG chain pricing in the area.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 2:15 am

Programs: BAEC Silver Hilton Diamond
Doubletree Bristol City Centre

Stayed here on Wednesday night and very impressed. Usually stay at the Garden in but got a pre paid rate of £99 so booked 2 rooms.

Not much to look at outside but very handy for city centre as name suggests. Very friendly welcome - as a gold I got upgrade for both rooms to King from Double and apology there were no deluxe available. Drink vouchers for the bar. Was asked if I wanted to add breakfast and I asked if not free for Gold and said yes or 1000 points - so had 2 breakfasts!

Breakfast was superb hot food was great and quality black pudding - the restaurant is an old glass blowing kiln and unusual (in a good way!)

Room was great - nice modern decor etc and spacious.

All in all very impressed and will go back!! The Garden Inn is nice too and love the mac in rooms that all the old City Inns have but the DT trumps it IMO
Old Apr 25, 2014, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by seacow
The Garden Inn is nice too and love the mac in rooms that all the old City Inns have but the DT trumps it IMO
Was at the Garden Inn about a year ago. Don't like the iMacs; leftover from former Mint Hotel days. Mngt. said they were going to change over to proper televisions "soon."
Old Apr 25, 2014, 8:17 am

Programs: BAEC Silver Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by fozziedoggie
Was at the Garden Inn about a year ago. Don't like the iMacs; leftover from former Mint Hotel days. Mngt. said they were going to change over to proper televisions "soon."
Agree they take a bit of getting used to as a TV but having a mac with web access to me is great - used for video calls back home etc - although to be fair in these days of facetime on phones its less of a plus point....
Old Apr 25, 2014, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by seacow
Agree they take a bit of getting used to as a TV but having a mac with web access to me is great - used for video calls back home etc - although to be fair in these days of facetime on phones its less of a plus point....
I don't mind the concept of a computer TV, but the screen needs to be larger than what is currently at the HGI. Very hard to watch tennis (Andy Murray) or other sports whilst laying back in bed and viewing a 13 inch monitor.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 12:56 pm

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Just checked in here now - no lounge of course but the welcome, the layout and the elite benefits have all been spectacular so far. Excellent rate , too.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 3:04 pm

Programs: hhonors diamond
I stayed here last Friday.....will post review soon.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 3:42 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP MM, HH Diamond
Stayed here last night ... quite impressed.
Parking was complimentary (for Gold & Diamond)
Breakfast was busy but everything was replenished fairly quickly.

Kingsize bed - firm but very comfortable - and as mentioned before huge 50" TV.
Internet was fast - they give a code to golds/diamonds to enter for the super-fast wifi (Free of Charge).
Would definitely stay again - close to everything.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 6:22 pm

Programs: hhonors diamond
Here is my tripadvisor review for those interested -

Arrived here after a horrendous drive down from Gatwick airport on 1st august......quick check in ( it was 9pm ) and upgraded to corner room on Hilton honors floor , room nice with view of the church , bed comfy and huge.....bathroom small and smelt "musty".......restaurant was closed so we had bar food, I had Hilton burger and whilst big it was rather bland, Girlfriend had omelette and no complaints........retired to bed, slept very well but the musty smell in the bathroom became worse by the morning!......breakfast was very good indeed and we loved the kiln style restaurant , check out swift and parking free ( told this was because of my diamond status)........ if it wasn't for the bland burger and smelly bathroom I would award this hotel 5 on the tripadvisor scale......however I would stay if in the area again
Old Apr 14, 2015, 5:02 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Diamond, Avis President's Club
Great Stay

Just wanted to add similar comments to others as I stayed here on Sunday night as an HH Gold:

Great location for the train station, Parking was Complimentary for Gold/Diamond.
Envelope was pre-prepared for me (booked <24hr in advance) which had a little list of their Gold/Diamond perks, including confirmation of free breakfast or MyWay points
'Premium' Internet code was pre-written on the envelope
Free drink voucher for the bar
Upgrade to a King Room and an apology for not being on HHonors floor (I've been on that floor as a silver and I didn't notice a difference but I may be wrong)
Two bottles of water in the room
A really wonderful ambience to the room, I love the furnishings and the lighting - it really doesn't feel like a hotel room despite having an indenti-kit layout. For appearance, see the other photos up the thread, my room was identical.
Paid £79 for a Sunday night about 24hrs in advance.

I really do like this hotel a lot and correspondingly it is often £150-200 midweek. However if you get a cheap rate/points stay to visit on the weekend, when it's often much cheaper, I highly recommend it. It has a romantic feel to it despite really being a city-centre business traveller hotel, and there's lots of nice restaurants, bars and pubs nearby to while away the hours on a lazy weekend.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.