Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Honors T&Cs changed effective July 19 2012: No Diamond Force on Reward Stays

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Honors T&Cs changed effective July 19 2012: No Diamond Force on Reward Stays

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2012, 11:14 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Plat, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by mareh
I agree with this. I'd rather complain about the loss of benefits to Diamonds, than about Gold members getting "too much".
+1

Also - this may be small in the scheme of things - but isn't the guaranteed lounge access at W-A new? I thought the prior T&C stated Diamonds only had access when actually upgraded to Exec Level Floor.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 11:38 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles, MR, HH, ICH/PC, Avis Pref., Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by kanerf
Makes perfect sense that they do not allow Diamond Force for award stays. When you get a Diamond Force you normally end up paying rack rates, but for an award, the hotel gets maybe $20 bucks.
No, no, no!

The only time I did a Diamond Force was to extend a work trip into a weekend. Since this was a mixed paid/award and the award was for two nights, of which only one was a "force", I ended up seeing the whole set of charges.

The "force" night cost me 50k points (cat 7) but I saw on the res wher it cost HH $379.00 + tax (did I mention this was an Embassy Suites? ). My paid nights cost $249. When you consider the cost of points a hotel pays HH (single-digit $ per thousand), HH most definitely lost money on that one. Oh...since the reservation was so complex, I ended up getting points for both the paid and award nights and with the promo that was in effect back then, I ended up getting a crapload of points for the stay.

Even though HH lost money, it taught me the value of the program and why one should remain loyal. No more, I guess.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is OT, but when did Hilton make the guaranteed for lounge for Diamond? I had an interesting discussion with HRCC today and I want to prepare an informed response. Basically they are saying there's no where the sun doesn't shine with Hilton and the competitors programmes pale in comparison...
Old Jul 25, 2012, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by hugolover
This is OT, but when did Hilton make the guaranteed for lounge for Diamond? I had an interesting discussion with HRCC today and I want to prepare an informed response. Basically they are saying there's no where the sun doesn't shine with Hilton and the competitors programmes pale in comparison...
I know it's been at least that way for over 10 years. I made gold for the first time in 2001 and lounge access was a benefit for gold back then, so I know had to be for diamonds as well. They eventually took this benefit away from gold and I started shifting my stays to other chains over that loss of benefit. It's a benefit I don't see returning to gold since anyone living in the usa can obtain gold very easilly and cheaply now.

I have only had one hotel deny me access as a diamond (Drake in chicago). Every other hotel has honored the benefit with no problem.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 11:51 am

Programs: HHonors, Star Alliance
Originally Posted by keeton
No, no, no!

The only time I did a Diamond Force was to extend a work trip into a weekend. Since this was a mixed paid/award and the award was for two nights, of which only one was a "force", I ended up seeing the whole set of charges.

The "force" night cost me 50k points (cat 7) but I saw on the res wher it cost HH $379.00 + tax (did I mention this was an Embassy Suites? ). My paid nights cost $249. When you consider the cost of points a hotel pays HH (single-digit $ per thousand), HH most definitely lost money on that one. Oh...since the reservation was so complex, I ended up getting points for both the paid and award nights and with the promo that was in effect back then, I ended up getting a crapload of points for the stay.

Even though HH lost money, it taught me the value of the program and why one should remain loyal. No more, I guess.
I remember reading that Hilton Corporate will reimburse individual hotels for honoring reward stays. The dollar value is based on an average nightly rate at the hotel throughout the year.

This scheme seems extremely fair to Hotels at vacation spots. However, it doesn't seem too fair for the hotels in the middle of nowhere. These hotels don't really have a peak season, and their rates remain constant throughout the year. Whereas the vacation spots can increase their prices many times over, and it will generally increase their yearly average.

It is also my understanding that each hotel pays to be part of HHonors, and this is the money that is used to reimburse hotels for award stays.

So, in the end, the hotel in the middle of nowhere may not get the easy credit for award stays, but they may get increased business from travelers if they are the only Hilton Family property in town and people maintain loyalty.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by hugolover
It was only made explicit around 2010 I think.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stifle
It was only made explicit around 2010 I think.
Yes that's pretty much what I thought...
Old Jul 25, 2012, 1:57 pm

Programs: SK Lifetime EB*G, HHonors Diamond, BalticMiles VIP, Turkish Airlines Miles@Smiles, Club Carlson
Originally Posted by little_dc
Good idea. I left my note on HHonors FB page about disappointment with taking off Diamond Force for Reward stays. Might be worth for other FT readers - HH Diamond members - to express their feelings as well. Social media are usually traced by different unit, not Diamond Desk, so our opinions have more chances to make it to decision makers.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 1:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: ゴールデングローブ
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I have only had one hotel deny me access as a diamond (Drake in chicago). Every other hotel has honored the benefit with no problem.
Count also the Cavalieri Rome. No access for diamond to the upper lounge.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 2:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: ゴールデングローブ
Originally Posted by kanerf
Makes perfect sense that they do not allow Diamond Force for award stays. When you get a Diamond Force you normally end up paying rack rates, but for an award, the hotel gets maybe $20 bucks.
Yes. And now? That was a main reason for me and for other to be a long time diamond member. What is now my benefits for being a diamond?
Old Jul 25, 2012, 4:21 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold | Hilton Diamond | Hyatt Plat | UA 1K | HA Plat| Hertz President's circle
Originally Posted by hbush
Good idea. I left my note on HHonors FB page about disappointment with taking off Diamond Force for Reward stays. Might be worth for other FT readers - HH Diamond members - to express their feelings as well. Social media are usually traced by different unit, not Diamond Desk, so our opinions have more chances to make it to decision makers.
Well they are providing a canned response now.

"Hilton HHonors - We understand your disappointment. Careful thought and consideration went into this decision. We are committed to ensuring that the program remains strong for our most loyal customers. We recognize that you have a choice when you travel and we hope that the benefits and the experiences that you have had over the years of your membership will be the deciding factor for your future travels. -*****"
Old Jul 25, 2012, 4:58 pm

We recognize that you have a choice when you travel and we hope that the benefits and the experiences that you have had over the years of your membership will be the deciding factor for your future travels. -*****"
LOL I found that part really funny. Instead of hoping you will find the "current" benefits of membership are competitive to the other choices, they want you to look at all your "previous" benefits and experiences and use those as the deciding factor to determine your future business.

It is like saying, "Hey I know we are not that great right now, but we treated you well before... just hang with us okay?"
Old Jul 25, 2012, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Well they are providing a canned response now.

"Hilton HHonors - We understand your disappointment. Careful thought and consideration went into this decision. We are committed to ensuring that the program remains strong for our most loyal customers. We recognize that you have a choice when you travel and we hope that the benefits and the experiences that you have had over the years of your membership will be the deciding factor for your future travels. -*****"
Sounds just like the BS response when they got rid of RT.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 12:32 am

Programs: SK Lifetime EB*G, HHonors Diamond, BalticMiles VIP, Turkish Airlines Miles@Smiles, Club Carlson
Originally Posted by Need
...they want you to look at all your "previous" benefits and experiences and use those as the deciding factor to determine your future business
I do. Previous Hilton Diamond benefits are quickly deteriorating, my Hilton experiences are not as good as they used to be. That definitely will be deciding factor to determine my future business (and leisure too).
Old Jul 26, 2012, 2:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey
It is disappointing, but not really surprising, given the way things are going. There really doesn't seem to be much benefit to being Diamond anymore over Gold.
my thoughts exactly....after 6+ years as diamond, i'm finally going to let my status expire this year....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.