Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Honors Bait and Switch Tactics Regarding Fasttrack Challenges

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2012, 9:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum, HH Diamond

I have been treated dishonestly by the HHonors program and am extremely disappointed.

As a long-time loyal HHonors member and Hilton patron, on April 4, 2012 I called 1-800-HHonors and requested a fasttrack challenge from Gold to Diamond. I was offered a challenge for 7 stays or 15 nights by June 30. Last weekend I completed 17 nights and I just completed my 7th stay yesterday.

Having seen no change in my account, this morning I called the HHonors line and was informed that the employee I spoke to never noted my account and there is no record of the offer. Furthermore, I was told no such offer existed and it never should have been offered.

Interesting that they tell me this after I made special arrangements to stay at Hilton properties, resulting in the spending of many thousands of dollars of business and personal funds being spent at those properties over the last two months.

I am guilty of not writing down the name of the employee and not following up when I did not receive an email confirmation of the offer. I trusted Hilton's systems to take care of it.

I am very disappointed that after putting significant time and monetary investment into keeping my end of the bargain that I have been told to pound sand.

I took meticulous notes at the time the offer was made and know what I was promised, and Hilton HHonors has refused to hold up their end of the bargain - even worse, denying the deal ever even existed.

Regardless of whether the original employee lied about the offer, or whether I am now being lied to that it never existed, the HHonors program lied to me, a loyal patron of the Hilton brand for many years.

I will be moving my business to Marriott and Hyatt going forward. They have lost a loyal customer.

I caution everyone to be very careful of making any investment in staying at Hilton properties as a result of anything offered as a status challenge. It may just be a bait and switch tactic designed to get your business with nothing in return.

UPDATE (also posted below):

After posting a comment on the HHonors Facebook page, I received a phone call from Jerry at the Hilton customer service center social media team. He immediately took steps to resolve the matter and I am very satisfied with how quickly this was addressed and resolved. Hilton has renewed my confidence and my loyalty.

Last edited by cguzik; Jun 22, 2012 at 11:38 am Reason: Update
Old Jun 22, 2012, 9:53 am

Programs: A few
I got in on the fast track challenge to gold and it was a piece of cake. I understand the prestige of showing the hotel clerk that you are a diamond member, but I just don't see the advantages over gold with hilton.

This loyalty program is weak in comparison to the others.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Always request fast track offers like this by email so that you have in writing what you were offered and what you had agreed to.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 10:20 am

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Originally Posted by holtju2
Always request fast track offers like this by email so that you have in writing what you were offered and what you had agreed to.
Yep. Great advice.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 11:32 am
Original Poster

After posting a comment on the HHonors Facebook page, I received a phone call from Jerry at the Hilton customer service center social media team. He immediately took steps to resolve the matter and I am very satisfied with how quickly this was addressed and resolved. Hilton has renewed my confidence and my loyalty.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Sometimes you have to push just a bit further. I had a situation where I wasn't given the points offered. I called in and was told they would never have made such an offer. OK, agent didn't know what she was talking about. I asked for a supervisor and she said SHE was a supervisor. I asked for the next level. She put me on hold for several minutes and came back saying she had just returned from Maternity Leave and hadn't caught up with her eMail and I was right and she posted the points.

Too many CSRs make up rules to support their view point. Get what you can in writing and KEEP IT. It is amazing what a little public shame can do for you.

Congrats on getting it worked out.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 12:37 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Originally Posted by cguzik

I was offered a challenge for 7 stays or 15 nights by June 30. Last weekend I completed 17 nights and I just completed my 7th stay yesterday.

I made special arrangements to stay at Hilton properties, resulting in the spending of many thousands of dollars of business and personal funds being spent at those properties over the last two months.
Really, you spent "many thousands of dollars" to get seven stays? You could have done it in most parts of the country for under $1,000.

As has been mentioned in the past, if you don't have a confirmation of the offer, you will probably be told that there was never such an offer made.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

Mike,

If I were just doing quick overnight business trips - yes I could have easily done seven stays for as many hundred dollars. But, I have done several four to five night stays, one in downtown Chicago and one at the Hilton Clearwater Beach. Even with MVP rates and the good corporate rate my company has, the total is probably close to $4k if not more.

Chris

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.