Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Amsterdam Centraal Station {NLD}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Amsterdam Centraal Station {NLD}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2013, 9:38 am

Programs: Honors Diamond; AA Ex Plat; AS MVP 75K
+1

Its close but not a simple walk. You have to navigate around tram tracks, plenty of bicycle traffic, and uneven footpaths. It is extremely close but not as simple as it looks by a map. Even a small fee of 5 euro would be worth avoiding any unfortunate mishap.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 10:25 am

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Gold, Accor Silver
One could be think if a senior is able to take the train ( steps) , he would be able for the short walk to the hotel. If not: what about a taxi from schiphol to the hotel ??
Old Jul 25, 2013, 8:38 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by guiseppe
One could be think if a senior is able to take the train ( steps) , he would be able for the short walk to the hotel. If not: what about a taxi from schiphol to the hotel ??
All the quotes for four pass are 45 euros to Central station and 65 euros + to the hotel.

They start off lowballing the estimate and by the time you get an official quote it has significantly increased
Old Jul 28, 2013, 2:03 pm

Programs: FB Platinum For Life, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Dcislander
It's almost exactly a quarter mile walk from station to hotel door.
From the east exit of Centraal, it's exactly 300m according to google maps. The taxi rank is next to the west exit. Depending on where on the platform you arrive at Centraal, the walk from the platform to the taxi rank can be almost as far as the walk from the platform to the Doubletree.

Originally Posted by Dcislander
I do not think that a taxi would consider the fare since it is so close (but I could be wrong).
Yes, this is what I heard from other people visiting Amsterdam who tried to take a cab from Centraal: some taxi drivers at the taxi rank refuse to take customers for short distances. This is certainly a distance where a taxi driver might say no.
Old Aug 4, 2013, 2:50 pm

This is an odd question, but does anybody happen to recall the brand of yogurt they serve at breakfast? It was my favorite part of the breakfast and would like to see if I can get some locally, but I can't recall the name and my googling has not yielded any results. Thanks very much!
Old Aug 4, 2013, 11:41 pm

Originally Posted by kdoughboy
This is an odd question, but does anybody happen to recall the brand of yogurt they serve at breakfast? It was my favorite part of the breakfast and would like to see if I can get some locally, but I can't recall the name and my googling has not yielded any results. Thanks very much!
Are you talking about the yogurt in the small fridge underneath the serving table? I think it's Activia (http://www.activia.us.com), but I am not 100% sure. They also have Yakult (http://www.yakultusa.com/) in the same fridge.

If no one else checks until next weekend, I can have a look when I am back in Amsterdam.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 1:45 am

Originally Posted by fb175091
Are you talking about the yogurt in the small fridge underneath the serving table? I think it's Activia (http://www.activia.us.com), but I am not 100% sure. They also have Yakult (http://www.yakultusa.com/) in the same fridge.

If no one else checks until next weekend, I can have a look when I am back in Amsterdam.
I am indeed talking about the ones in the fridge underneath the breakfast buffet, however it wasn't either of those. It was in a small glass jar with a foil lid, in blueberry and apricot flavors, and I think it was a European brand. Definitely not a fancy probiotic product or anything, just good yogurt.

Thanks for your help!
Old Aug 7, 2013, 12:03 pm

Programs: HH D
Originally Posted by kdoughboy
It was in a small glass jar with a foil lid, in blueberry and apricot flavors, and I think it was a European brand. Definitely not a fancy probiotic product or anything, just good yogurt.
Did they have a green cap? It could be the PurNatur. Many W-European Hiltons have them.

http://www.purnatur.eu/index_EN.htm

Indeed nothing fancy, just plain organic ingredients , from Flanders. If you liked it that much, it becomes you. (Or isn't that correct in English?)
Old Aug 7, 2013, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by Sisosig
Did they have a green cap? It could be the PurNatur. Many W-European Hiltons have them.

http://www.purnatur.eu/index_EN.htm

Indeed nothing fancy, just plain organic ingredients , from Flanders. If you liked it that much, it becomes you. (Or isn't that correct in English?)
That's it! It was in a glass jar with a green foil cap. And no, it wasn't anything fancy, but I liked that it was all natural and not super sweet like the yogurt you get here in the states. Just good, high quality stuff. Now to find it in Los Angeles...

Thank you!
Old Aug 8, 2013, 6:46 am

Originally Posted by fb175091
Was just back at the hotel for a night and was once more upgraded to a suite.
Fourth suite upgrade in a row. I noticed that during the greeting, the check-in agent used the phrase "regular guest" at least four times (instead of "Diamond member"), including a little joke ("you have probably been to that room before"). I can only suspect that my suite upgrades have to do with this property-related status rather than my HHD.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 12:12 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Just finished a stay at this hotel.

The front desk staff were extremely friendly and helpful.

The new lounge was much better than what I had expected from reading this thread.

It was never very difficult morning nor evening for four of us to sit together although I was disappointed that twosomes would monopolize seatings for four.

They use a coded key entry system and did permit guests. The lounge is on the main floor and tied into their Café. The good of this is that it permits constant service by two or more Café workers to keep it well stocked for morning and evening service. Of course the beer is pretty much limited to that horrible green can Heinikin But after having put up with that on my Air France flights I was hoping for something better.

I especially liked their scrambled eggs since unlike the USA they were not overcooked!

see my u-tube listing for a video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbFy6Dl8vzE

This is now my favorite hotel for Amsterdam
Old Aug 13, 2013, 2:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
I am going to be in Amsterdam 9/21-9/23. I can get the Doubletree with points for one night only (the latter) at the standard 50k rate. I can get the Hilton for both nights (only by switching room types though) for 140k points. Or I can use a premium reward and pay ~220k points instead of 100k for the two nights at the Doubletree.

So, do one night at the Hilton and one at the Doubletree for 120k, both at the Hilton but different rooms for 140k, or both at the Doubletree for 220k?

I also have enough loose PC points for a night at the Crowne Plaza. Could do one there and one at the Doubletree.

Sigh. I miss the Diamond force on reward stays. I remember the lengths the Diamond desk went through to get me 7 consecutive nights at the Cavalieri with 5 Q3FN certs and two reward nights....
Old Oct 7, 2013, 8:05 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Does anyone know what time breakfast starts here? I'm booked here for a 23 hour layover at AMS, but our flight back to the US departs at 07:55, so I'm planning to catch the 05:44 train to the airport. I'm debating canceling the reservation and booking near the airport if we won't be able to really enjoy the whole experience.

ETA: According to the hotel website, the earliest any of their restaurant is open is 6:30 (yes, even Starbucks), so it looks like Crown Room Lounge will have to do it for breakfast. I'm still interested in whether those on this board who have stayed here think it's worthwhile for such a short trip. As we'll be landing at AMS around 8:30am, would we have a good chance to check in around 10am?

Last edited by mattp1987; Oct 7, 2013 at 8:51 pm
Old Oct 9, 2013, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by mattp1987
I'm debating canceling the reservation and booking near the airport if we won't be able to really enjoy the whole experience.
What is the experience that you are looking for? The hotel? Or Amsterdam?

You will not enjoy the city in the same way if you stay at the airport. And the travel time from the Doubletree to the airport is probably as short as most airport hotels (except Hilton and Sheraton).
Old Oct 9, 2013, 4:04 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by Koby
What is the experience that you are looking for? The hotel? Or Amsterdam?

You will not enjoy the city in the same way if you stay at the airport. And the travel time from the Doubletree to the airport is probably as short as most airport hotels (except Hilton and Sheraton).
Mostly Amsterdam, but I was also interested in whether the hotel experience in the city was worth paying a premium over the airport hotels. After doing more research into these cheaper options, I discovered that they aren't really convenient to the airport as you pointed out. The 15 minute train ride seems just as short as a shuttle to any of the cheaper airport hotels. That eliminates the issue with only one train an hour back to the airport station after midnight if we decide to stay out late. I'm sticking with the DT at 104 Euro AAA rate. Thanks for the help.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.