Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Homewood Suites by Hilton Oakland-Waterfront {US-CA}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Homewood Suites by Hilton Oakland-Waterfront {US-CA}

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2002, 10:00 pm
Original Poster

Arrow Homewood Suites by Hilton Oakland-Waterfront {US-CA}

Has anyone here stayed there?
Any problems with credit stays or points/miles?

I got a rate of $109.00 through
the Hilton web site.

Thanks!
Old May 13, 2002, 11:41 pm

Homewood Suites by Hilton® Oakland-Waterfront Trip Reports and Reviews

Stayed there back in Feb a few weeks after it opened. Rooms are nice, the room I had was not truly a suite, but close enough, free breakfast and dinner. Bad thing is hotel is right on the highway and if you don't have a room that faces the water you will hear the highway all night. Also, there is really nothing around, and you will need a car to go anywhere.

Point posted without a problem. I was double charged on my credit card for my stay, but the double charge had been reversed by the time I noticed it had happened. I paid the same rate as you booked on hiltom.com.

[This message has been edited by CLE-Flyer (edited 05-13-2002).]
Old Jan 7, 2003, 12:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond
Any Experience with Homewood Suites Oakland?

Need to stay in Oakland (not too close to the airport). How is this property? I'm Gold.

fp
Old Jan 7, 2003, 11:41 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold since '02, Hertz President's Circle since '07
Nobody's responded so far, so I'll give your thread a bump with this comment:

I used to live in Oakland. I've never stayed at the hotel, but the neighborhood is good. You are close to downtown, Chinatown, Jack London square, Lake Merritt, and Alameda.

Also the nice shopping and entertainment district just NE of Lake Merritt on Grand Avenue near 580.

Feeling nostalgic.
Old Jan 8, 2003, 6:51 am

Thanks!
Old Jan 8, 2003, 8:48 am
rjh

Programs: Kam Leng; Two Dragons GH
I've never stayed there, but I pass it coming home from OAK.

This hotel is not in a residential neighborhood. It's fairly close, 50 yards, to Interstate 880. You'll need a car to visit the Lakeside area mentioned earlier or just about anywhere else. Not to say that it's undesirable, just to place it in context.

I'd consider it a business hotel, on the far periphery of OAK, suitable for people travelling in the Oaktown area with a car.
Rich
Old Jan 8, 2003, 9:11 am

Can anyone offer a suitable alternative that is close to Oakland and to the airport and around $100. I'm considering the Holiday Inn at the Bay Bridge. We will have a car and an early flight out - but my boss doesn't want to stay at the airport.
Old Jan 8, 2003, 9:41 am

I'll be staying at the HGI in San Leandro tonight. It's just south of OAK (less than 10 minutes away) and I booked on Hilton.com (remember the 1,000 point on-line booking bonus) for $85 or $89 (can't remember which). Never stayed there before. I'll give a review late tonight if I get a chance.

CS
Old Jan 8, 2003, 9:41 pm

Just checked in to the Oakland/San Leandro HGI. Turns out it's a brand new HGI that just opened December 30th. What can I say but that is is very typical HGI. Lobby, rooms, bathroom, beds are all the same. Good location right off the 880 freeway. Rate was $89/night.

Only minor (and very minor) items I noticed:

The two free bottles of water I got upon check-in from the shop were the smallest I've ever encountered at a HGI. Crystal Geyser that was either 8 or 10 oz. Right next to it were 12 oz. bottles of Dasani. When I inquired which bottle were the complimentary one's, desk agent said the CG but to go ahead and take the Dasani.

No HBO guide in room.

That's it. For the price, not a bad choice for an alternative to the OAK Hilton.

CS

Old Jan 10, 2003, 3:33 am
In Memoriam

I have been there. One of the outstanding Homewood properties. Looks brand new, great property. Overlook of the bay.

Short drive to Jack London square, restraunts, etc.

Good property.
Old Jan 11, 2003, 12:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, AA Platinum, Delta Gold
We stayed at the Homewood last June and were very happy. It is nice sized and beautiful inside. It has a patio off of the main area that overlooks the marina. It is close to the highway but we were not bothered by any traffic noise. If that is a concern ask for a bayside room. We were on the 3rd floor. Hotel was in excellent condition. I thought the breakfast and service was fantastic. Manager allowed us a point stretcher stay in a 2 bedroom even though technically they only had studios available for the stretcher. I would rate the hotel highly and gladly stay there again.
Old Jun 24, 2004, 7:46 am

Programs: Status? What's that? :)
Homewood Suites by Hilton @ Oakland-Waterfront?

My wife and I will be visiting the Oakland/San Francisco bay area over the July 4th weekend (7/3-7/5) and in the past when we flew into SFO, we stayed at the downtown Hilton at O'Farrell and it was great! This time, we're flying into OAK and plan to explore outside the city of SFO and into the surrounding areas (Monterey , Fremont, wine country, etc. come into mind; PM me if you have any suggestion as to the "must see" places) and will have a rental car for the duration of our stay.

In looking at the various HHonors properties, I noticed that the Homewood Suites by Hilton at the Oakland-Waterfront is located off I-880 and is only 10 minutes from OAK. They're also offering a special of $89/night.

Anybody here have any experiences, good or bad, with this particular property?

Thanks,
David

Last edited by tayd; Jun 25, 2004 at 7:21 am
Old Jun 24, 2004, 9:16 am

Programs: UA 2P (will be 0P next yr), HH Diamond (thank you Surpass Card!)
I have never stayed there, but I drive past on 880 all the time. It is fairly new and looks nice from the outside. You must definitely get a room facing the water. To face 880 would be most unpleasant, I would think, between the noise of the constant day and night traffic (including lots and lots of big rigs) and the unappetizing view of 880 and railroad tracks.

Also, it is pretty much in the middle of nowhere. You will need to drive to any restaurants, etc. You may wish to consider the Hilton OAK Airport instead. Still rather isolated but at least it has a restaurant on-site and 880 is easily accessible for your touring plans. The HHonors floor rooms are quite pleasant, but there is no executive lounge.

Personally, I cannot think of much of anything to do in the East Bay. The Napa/Sonoma wine country will likely be a zoo on July 4th weekend -- it is always dreadfully crowded on every summer weekend (it is also quite a drive from Oakland). There are some nice wineries in the Livermore Valley, which might be an alternative (although, again, a bit of a drive).

Finally, remember that it can be really COLD in the Bay Area in July (no one ever believes it until they experience it, but it is too true -- selling sweatshirts to tourists is big business in SF). Occasionally, it has even been warm. So bring layers of clothing.
Old Jun 24, 2004, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
That location probably isn't too "central" for doing much - and if you are wanting to do more "North Bay" things, you may find yourself going through the Bay Bridge maze area at hours you wish you weren't (which on weekends, can be much of the day). You aren't far from Jack London Square in Oakland for some dining options (but again, you will need to get into your car for everything), and there's a great place to taste wine in Alameda (a really quick drive from there).
Old Jun 24, 2004, 10:04 am

Programs: UA 2P (will be 0P next yr), HH Diamond (thank you Surpass Card!)
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
... there's a great place to taste wine in Alameda (a really quick drive from there).
You are right, Eastbay1K, I had forgotten about Rosenblum Winery. It is definitely not "wine country" ambiance (it is in a big, old warehouse next to the old Alameda Naval Air Station) but it's Zins are excellent! One could tour the aircraft carrrier (the Hornet?) at Alameda Naval also, if that is of interest. You are also correct that there is always a lot of traffic on the weekends, and there is going to be a LOT of traffic July 4th weekend!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.