Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Earning Hilton Honors Points for Multiple Rooms" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Earning Hilton Honors Points for Multiple Rooms" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2011, 5:00 am

Group Bookings vs All Under your HHonors #

I often find myself running into the issue of reserving multiple rooms and not receiving the credit. The Hilton T&C are right that only the first two rooms receive credit. Here are the options I have come up with to deal with this policy (each has its own pros and cons):

1. Book all rooms under your name if you have status. Most hotels will extend your benefits from your status to all your rooms. This is best if you don't care about receiving all the points (as only two will be credited) and the hotel offers good benefits for status (Hilton breakfast vs. Hampton nothing).

2. Book the first two rooms under your HHonors account and let someone else start earning status since you can't benefit from the additional rooms. This is best at an Embassy Suites as there are no room upgrades for anyone and breakfast is already included. Hotels (except for the Las Vegas Hilton) don't seem to care how many times you log into the free internet with Gold/Diamond accounts so you could extend this benefit even to the rooms not under your account.

3. Book the first two rooms under your HHonors account and book the others with the hotel's sales department if their bill is anticipated to be over $1000. The first two rooms will be credited as normal if booked OUTSIDE of the contract with the hotel (rooms booked through contract do not earn as you would expect and, if on a master account, do not count toward stay/night credit). The other three rooms on the master account would be credited at one HHonors point and one airline mile per dollar spent. Based on your math, you would have earned 3600 HHonors points and 3600 airline miles (not much, but better than nothing...$6000/5 X 3 rooms on master account).

Hope that helps. There's no easy or clean way of earning for additional rooms.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 6:49 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Avis Presidents, Hertz 5*, SW A-list Prefered/Companion, *wood Gold
The way I get around the rule working within the system is pretty easy. When I check in to the hotel I let the front desk clerk know I want all the other room charges "journaled" to my room account. What this does is transfers all the room charges to my room. This allows me to get all the points from everyone's stay. I don't get credit for the overnight stay but I do earn points on all the dollars spent.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 5:36 am

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by young2by2
The way I get around the rule working within the system is pretty easy. When I check in to the hotel I let the front desk clerk know I want all the other room charges "journaled" to my room account. What this does is transfers all the room charges to my room. This allows me to get all the points from everyone's stay. I don't get credit for the overnight stay but I do earn points on all the dollars spent.
I've done this before. The technical term for them appears to be asking them to "merge your efolios". Should be noted that if the front desk asks for the names of everyone staying in the multiple rooms, and you don't do this it will effectively remove them from your reservation and you won't even get the credit for 2 rooms.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 4:46 pm

Programs: AA (1MM), Marriott (LT Gold)
For the experts out there:

I've prepaid for a room under my name using my Hilton AMEX. I've reserved another room under my name at the senior rate for my parents (senior rate is less than the prepaid rate).

If I ask that the folios be merged at check-in, and I offer up my Visa Signature credit card (as a replacement for my Hilton AMEX which is holding the reservation) to pay for my parents' room:

1. Is there any reason why I should be denied getting points for both rooms (i.e., I'm not a senior, but my parents can produce proof that they qualify for the rate)?

2. Should I get the on-line bonuses and first stay bonuses for using the Hilton AMEX on the first room?

3. Should I get credit for using a Visa Signature to pay for the second room -- earning me the first of 3 needed for the fast-track Gold promo?
Old Jun 25, 2011, 1:50 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I can't see how you can use two cards to pay for two rooms on one folio, but I may be wrong. (Shoot, they get the folio thing wrong often enough you will have to call - this way practically guarantees you won;t get credit for both, IMO.) I do think you will have to make a choice.

You can only earn stay and night credit for one room, not both, but if you use the AMEX (or conversely use the VISA) to pay you should certainly get required credit for points, bonuses, etc.

As for the senior rate, if the occupants qualify, you should have no problem. But... why not just sign up for the MVP offer and do the four stays, which is not card-dependent, not to mention get generally better offers in the US anyway than AAA or senior rates? (I can only assume you are staying in the USA, but I am of course, only guessing.)
Old Jun 25, 2011, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
ExitRowAisle, I'd suggest leaving the rooms separate and ask your parents room be billed to your Visa. Let everything process though and if you don't get the points from the second room then call HH to have them correct. Yes, the rules state you need to have the second room added to your folio, but there have been several posting here where the property failed to do that and points were posted anyway.

JDiver's advise to use MVP to accelerate status might be an easier and less restrictive way to go.

As for the senior rate, if you can just have your parents there when you checkin and I'm sure there will not be any problem. If they aren't able to be there, an explaination should handle it.

Using two cards on one folio shouldn't be any thougher than using a gift card and paying the remainder by CC. A credit is a credit, be it GC or CC or Cash (remember that?),
Old Jun 25, 2011, 7:06 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Senior, RSVP and AAA / CSAA rate are usually ~10% discount, MVP is usually ~20%.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 3:02 pm

Programs: Independent
Now how about the reverse? Going on a trip with friends, I am Diamond. WE need to book two rooms, each to be on different credit cards. Nopt concerned with points so much as the free breakfast and Internet. Can we make two seperate reservations, and I just provide my Diamond number, or do they both have ot be under the same reservation? If so, how do you split it amongst two cards?
Old Jul 7, 2011, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Go ahead and book it as one reservation and then at check-out ask them to process a payment with the other card and the remainder on yours. Just like using a gift card in my view.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 6:33 pm

Programs: Independent
But if it is an advanced purchase, that would not work...
Old Jul 7, 2011, 8:04 pm

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
The only room entitled to benefits is the room occupied by the Diamond member. They hotel MAY give benefits to both rooms but is under no obligation to do so.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 5:37 am

Programs: HH Gold
Has anyone had any experiences with this lately. We are staying in London next week, and will be paying for two rooms. If I get it all on one folio I should get all the points correct?
Old Jul 25, 2011, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by goodtricks
Has anyone had any experiences with this lately. We are staying in London next week, and will be paying for two rooms. If I get it all on one folio I should get all the points correct?
it you booked via the correct channel then the answer is 'yes'....
Old Sep 8, 2011, 3:34 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM/S100K; HHonors Diamond; a bunch of others at various levels!
Thumbs down Points, yes. Nights and stays? Apparently not!

Reading through this thread, I was under the impression that when reserving and paying for two rooms and having a single folio for both rooms, I would get full credit for both rooms. However, this has not been my experience.

For instance, a recent six night stay, two rooms, I thought I would receive the points equivalent to the combined folio USD value (I did) plus credit for two stays and twelve nights towards my status. However, it only counted as one stay completed and six nights completed.

Has anyone had a different experience? When I contacted the Diamond Desk, they insisted that I had received full credit for everything, and didn't seem to understand the nuance of my question.

Perhaps there are T's and C's somewhere that explain this more clearly, but I haven't been able to find them.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by GJS - yow
Reading through this thread, I was under the impression that when reserving and paying for two rooms and having a single folio for both rooms, I would get full credit for both rooms. However, this has not been my experience.
Your impression isn't correct. You can receive points for two rooms, but only one stay credit. The only way you'll get more than one stay credit per night is if you have a grandfathered Mutual Fund account, which haven't been issued in many years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.