Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2013] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2013] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2010, 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by Thunderroad
Thanks very much, L-o-M. This info re the differences between the various units was exactly the info I was looking for.

Now, another question for the CR experts: I've already found some good posts (including an answer to an earlier query from me) re snorkeling, indicating that there's not too much in the shallows near the standard Water Villas, but that it's great at the reef near the east side of the main island and that's it's also good near the Spa Water Villas. I'm just curious about how long it would take to walk (or swim???) from the standard water villas to those good snorkeling spots. And once your reach the beach near the reef, is it much of a swim to get to the good snorkeling?

I realize the islands aren't all that big, but we get into major slug mode when on a tropical vacation. And while the CR sounds fantastic, we were spoiled a bit by just being able to drop into the water from our villas and snorkel right there when vacationing at the Hilton properties at Moorea and Bora Bora.

Thanks for any advice!
Hi,

We are actually at Rangali right now and here are a few things which you might find helpful:

- Deluxe Water Villa accommodation is smaller than a Spa WV I believe, but most importantly there are golf carts (read: private island hosts) here on the island and those *only* come with Deluxe WV and up category bookings. My wife and I are fit and don't mind walking, but you will honestly log 3+ miles a day if you want to travel between the islands more than once (it's at least 1km from our Superior WV to the Mandhoo / Spa WV area & tack on a bit more to the reef). This adds up quick. There is a ferry you can take, but sometimes it is a little bit of a wait.

- All of the WVs (Rangali island - smaller one) are too shallow to "swim" around. You can snorkel at high tide, but even then it's a bit shallow. You're better off at the reef generally speaking.

- The island is truly great and if you pay to upgrade to a WV the happy hour is worth it. If you got 2 fru-fru drinks it would set you back ~$16US / drink. So it adds up. We really only get a drink or two each night at Vilu for the free drinks and if we'd want something else we might go to Rangali Bar (other island - 10 minute walk) for their happy hour.

Let me know if you have more questions we could help try and give insight on. We'll provide a full review near the end of December when we return to the US! (Spoiled and able to be on the island for 2 full weeks hehe).

Originally Posted by Thunderroad
I'm sure that the answers are somewhere in this thread, but I've searched here and there and can't find it, and the Conrad Rangali website isn't that helpful...

1. What's are the differences between the Water Villa, the Superior Water Villa, the Deluxe Water Villa and the Spa Water Villa? I gather from the website that the Deluxe is larger than the regular Water and Superior, and that the Spa is even larger than the Deluxe, and it seems that the regular Water is perched over a very shallow area. But beyond that I'm having trouble figuring out the differences.

2. Also, does anyone have a very recent list of what the property charges to upgrade from a Beach Villa to these other rooms during peak season?

3. Finally, I just wanted to check whether, as per SteveF's excellent post (along with his other excellent information!) it's still the policy that a Diamond in a Water Villa would get both free breakfasts and free happy hour.

Sorry about the questions about some info that has been posted relatively recently, but hotel policies can be a moving target, changing from time to time.

Thanks for any help!
#1)
- WV basic, but on the water On the small island
- SWV is upgraded, larger than WV, deck and built in Jacuzzi ; on the small island
- Spa WV is large (but less usable space), bathroom is tight (SWV is very spacious), deck is fabulous w/ jacuzzi. These are only on the main island.
- Deluxe WV is larger than the SWV, but essentially the same. Comes w/ a private island host & that includes transport on request (golf cart).

My wife and I frankly love the SWV and think it's the best blend of them all...

#2) Depends on the season and anticipated occupancy levels. Jan/Feb is high season so expect high costs

#3) Yes, free breakfast & free Vilu happy hour. Both very well worth it.

Last edited by Canarsie; Dec 13, 2010 at 12:13 am Reason: Consolidation.
Old Dec 12, 2010, 11:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by hyprspeed
Hi,

We are actually at Rangali right now and here are a few things which you might find helpful:

- Deluxe Water Villa accommodation is smaller than a Spa WV I believe, but most importantly there are golf carts (read: private island hosts) here on the island and those *only* come with Deluxe WV and up category bookings. My wife and I are fit and don't mind walking, but you will honestly log 3+ miles a day if you want to travel between the islands more than once (it's at least 1km from our Superior WV to the Mandhoo / Spa WV area & tack on a bit more to the reef). This adds up quick. There is a ferry you can take, but sometimes it is a little bit of a wait.

- All of the WVs (Rangali island - smaller one) are too shallow to "swim" around. You can snorkel at high tide, but even then it's a bit shallow. You're better off at the reef generally speaking.

- The island is truly great and if you pay to upgrade to a WV the happy hour is worth it. If you got 2 fru-fru drinks it would set you back ~$16US / drink. So it adds up. We really only get a drink or two each night at Vilu for the free drinks and if we'd want something else we might go to Rangali Bar (other island - 10 minute walk) for their happy hour.

Let me know if you have more questions we could help try and give insight on. We'll provide a full review near the end of December when we return to the US! (Spoiled and able to be on the island for 2 full weeks hehe).
#1)
- WV basic, but on the water On the small island
- SWV is upgraded, larger than WV, deck and built in Jacuzzi ; on the small island
- Spa WV is large (but less usable space), bathroom is tight (SWV is very spacious), deck is fabulous w/ jacuzzi. These are only on the main island.
- Deluxe WV is larger than the SWV, but essentially the same. Comes w/ a private island host & that includes transport on request (golf cart).

My wife and I frankly love the SWV and think it's the best blend of them all...

#2) Depends on the season and anticipated occupancy levels. Jan/Feb is high season so expect high costs

#3) Yes, free breakfast & free Vilu happy hour. Both very well worth it.
Thank you both very much for the useful info. Much appreciated!

And hyprspeed, enjoy your time there!
Old Dec 13, 2010, 8:36 am

My wife and I frankly love the SWV and think it's the best blend of them all..
^+1 from me. The jacuzzi really makes the difference.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 9:25 am

Programs: UA MM, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTP, HH Dia
Hi,
- Deluxe Water Villa accommodation is smaller than a Spa WV I believe, but most importantly there are golf carts (read: private island hosts) here on the island and those *only* come with Deluxe WV and up category bookings.
We had golf cart transportation whenever we wanted it from our Spa Water Villa in March. Not sure if it was official policy, a function of our island host, or if things have changed. We had the golf cart pick us up for dinner and take us home to our villa most nights, and none of the staff acted like our requests were unusual.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by ps9a
We had golf cart transportation whenever we wanted it from our Spa Water Villa in March. Not sure if it was official policy, a function of our island host, or if things have changed. We had the golf cart pick us up for dinner and take us home to our villa most nights, and none of the staff acted like our requests were unusual.
Might have to do with March being considered a part of the 'lower' season at least according to our host. Spa WVs are also considered a category higher for rooms than SVWs so perhaps it is that as well.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 10:29 am

Time to post?

Hi - anyone have any idea how long it takes for points to post? I booked a GLONP and completed my stay about 2 weeks ago but nothing is showing in my HHonors a/c yet...
Old Dec 22, 2010, 10:36 am

Programs: UA MM, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTP, HH Dia
Originally Posted by kawoh
Hi - anyone have any idea how long it takes for points to post? I booked a GLONP and completed my stay about 2 weeks ago but nothing is showing in my HHonors a/c yet...
They should be there... call HHonors when you get a chance.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by kawoh
It took 4 weeks to post for me, but it was worth the wait! Quadruple promotion applied for sunday night stay and we got unexpected amount of points... Of course it depends how much you spent and also if you paid with Surpass amex.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 10:49 am

I didnt post my review yet, but reading this thread reminded me of our heavenly 9 days at Rangali... I miss it already and hope to return back! It was a pleasure from the moment we landed in Male till the day we boarded our plane back. Everybody, from the Island host to the servers at the restaurants were truly outstanding. White, powdery sand, warm ocean, great (but expensive) food, Spa, serene surroundings - it was really really the best vacation of our lives.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by Green_eyes
I didnt post my review yet, but reading this thread reminded me of our heavenly 9 days at Rangali... I miss it already and hope to return back! It was a pleasure from the moment we landed in Male till the day we boarded our plane back. Everybody, from the Island host to the servers at the restaurants were truly outstanding. White, powdery sand, warm ocean, great (but expensive) food, Spa, serene surroundings - it was really really the best vacation of our lives.
Couldn't agree more!! We just left a few days ago from our 2 week stay there. We can't wait to return either. With the amazing Hilton promotion and amount of spend we used (also with Surpass!) we will be going back on points for sure!
Old Dec 23, 2010, 9:56 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2mm SPG Gold HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ps9a
You get golf transportation with a spa water villa.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 8:32 pm

Had a stay there in the beginning of Dec, our second trip in two years.

Have a couple random bullet points:
* Our island host said because we were returning guests (and Diamonds) we were given a free upgrade for both rooms we booked. My husband and I chose to stay in a water villa and my sister-in-law chose the deluxe beach villa. We were initially offered two upgrades to DBV, but asked if they had any Superior Water Villas. They could only offer us a regular water villa (no jacuzzi on deck) and after staying in a SWV during our last visit, we opted for the water villa. We had found it was usually too hot to use the hot tub, anyway, so we did not miss it. But we loved staying right over the water and waking up to that view every morning. The DBV was absolutely INSANE in its hugeness. Seriously, it is ridiculously large and the pool is awesome. We hung out at their room (323, great location for snorkeling on the house reef) during the days and they came to our room for the sunset every night.

You do get free drinks at Vilu each night if you stay on that island and we certainly took advantage. Unfortunately, they told my SIL that they were not allowed to take part and made them pay for their drinks each day. Considering the drinks are $9 for a beer, it added up. So it's not really a "diamond" amenity that replaces a lounge. You have to stay on that island.

We were able to call for golf carts when we needed them, but got an annoyed vibe from some hosts. They usually told us we would have to pick one up at the front desk on each island. You do definitely get a lot of walking in, but the ferry is usually no more than a five-minute wait and is pretty quick.

If you choose the breakfast amenity, skip the buffet and head straight to Vilu every morning. You can order as much as you want off the menu and it ranges from steak and eggs to sashimi to waffles. You get to eat on the deck right at the water's edge and the staff is so friendly.

Don't wait until the last minute to make reservations for dinner or activities. We were lazy and would usually decide we wanted to do something in the morning that day and were shut out. Plan ahead even though it cramps the vacation vibe.

Don't miss your direct flight to Male. We were flying ORD-LHR on a 10 p.m. flight on Monday, then switching airports and flying Gatwick-MLE. We were so excited to have only two flights (we did FOUR the last time, ugh). Until AA canceled our flight to LHR due to mechanical problems. Because it was the last flight of the night on any airline to LHR, we were unable to fly until the next day and missed our Gatwick flight. In exchange they rebooked us LHR-Dubai-MLE, stuck us in the middle of five seats and worst of all, we missed an entire day at the Conrad. We were thrilled with those developments, not. AA did give us 15,000 miles as a "sorry" but it didn't make up for the day in paradise we lost.

So glad we knew this time to really and truly leave the extra clothes at home. Swimsuits and cover-ups are all you need. You won't even wear shoes. I think I wore a pair of shorts and a tank top once or twice to dinner. Other than that, beachwear the entire time.

Make sure you bring plenty of ones and fives for tipping. The service is incredible and every time you turn around, someone is helping you with something. Considering how many people on the island support families in another country, not to mention spend months away from them at a time, your tips are appreciated.

Last time we were there, they said it was pretty rare to see Americans. This time, we met four other American couples staying there at the same time as us. Not sure if that is a function of the economy recovering or everyone on this board saying how great it is -- haha!
Old Jan 5, 2011, 4:40 am
Suspended

Programs: Migros Cumulus Platinum Hero
Originally Posted by Amy28
...Make sure you bring plenty of ones and fives for tipping. ...
I really wonder why some guys think they need to tip everywhere and for everything! The staff member get their salary, so what's the point in tipping for everything?
Old Jan 5, 2011, 5:50 am

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Gold, LH Senator, …
Originally Posted by Zurich Flyer
I really wonder why some guys think they need to tip everywhere and for everything! The staff member get their salary, so what's the point in tipping for everything?
It's an American tradition...

I remember a discussion here about leaving a $ or two each day at breakfast...
Old Jan 5, 2011, 7:43 am

Programs: Air: Many; Hotel: HH D, HY G, IHG P, MR S, RR
Question about tipping at breakfast

I do not want to restart or contribute to the debate about whether one should or should not tip at the Conrad, but I was hoping that someone who has been there recently could answer a logistical question.

I will be staying at the Conrad on an award stay and will choose the Diamond VIP package with the free breakfast. I was wondering how it works in terms of whether or not guests who are not paying for breakfast are presented with a bill for the meal, since it would be my preference to add a tip there, so I don't have to carry cash and can earn more HH points on incidentals.

Also, has anyone used US $1 coins (not bills) for tipping at the Conrad? I know that in some countries, US coins are not accepted or are considered insulting, but since the Maldives has USD as its currency, I thought it might be OK there.

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.