Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2014 to 2017] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2014 to 2017] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2014, 6:12 am

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
Unfortunately, I was quoted a much higher price this time for a Deluxe Beach Villa ($ 600 ++). They reduced it to $ 540 ++ per night, but that's still a lot more than was referenced earlier here in the thread. Oh well, looking forward to the stay anyway.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 8:22 am

Programs: AA, United, BA, Delta, MR, SPG, PC
Originally Posted by nic3456
Just noticed that it says "Valid in the US only" - you think that means only US customers or only US Located properties? I really hope it works for the Maldives.
nic3456, I am not sure if your trip is already done. If it is, can you please let us know if the Amex $75 off $400 offer for Conrad worked at this property?

We have a trip coming up in Jan, and would like to make use of this offer if possible!
Old Dec 31, 2014, 6:06 pm

Conrad Maldives Rangali Island

My trip hasn't started yet (not til late jan) - but i haven't heard anyone get it (or try to get it). My plan is to just take my cards and try it unless i hear something beforehand
Old Jan 2, 2015, 10:23 pm
Company Representative - Conrad Maldives

Originally Posted by whimike
Is this new? I thought there were of bunch of things excluded from receiving points for, such as the seaplane transfer, dive center activities, etc...?
Hi Whimike,

Sorry was a little unclear on the previous post! To clarify, HH points are given based on the total spend on rooms, F&B, spa and excursions only (ie. all direct hotel purchases) excluding service charge and TGST. All 3rd party spends are not included, so this means dive centre, boutiques, seaplane and water sports. You are also only eligible for points when you book directly through us and not through an agent or third party.

Hope this helps!
Old Jan 3, 2015, 12:55 am

Manager's reception

Just returned here for our 5 night stay. A question. At least in jan 2014, the manager's reception night used to be on Tuesdays. We have a newish island host who told us it is on Thursday nights. Is that right? Thanks,

Hwa
Old Jan 3, 2015, 5:17 am

Programs: OZ *G, HHonors Gold, Aclub Plat
Originally Posted by travellingdoc1121
Just returned here for our 5 night stay. A question. At least in jan 2014, the manager's reception night used to be on Tuesdays. We have a newish island host who told us it is on Thursday nights. Is that right? Thanks,

Hwa
We were just there and weren't informed of any manager's reception...
Old Jan 3, 2015, 11:13 pm

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
Everyone still very nice here, and everything great as ever. The new GM is a very friendly and relaxed person. And Mr. Nashid, who has been here since the start, is always there for the guests with his team.

The only "negative" can be some of the guests who sometimes don't have the best manners. Like that Russian couple that thinks it is a good idea to block 6 sunbeds with towels all day like the worst of package tourists...or the German guy who screamed at a child (not his own) in a threatening manner during the New Year's Eve party.

But these things are nothing but minor episodes. This resort is still a wonderful place to relax, and almost all of the staff are very friendly.

I still regard this hotel as the crown jewel of the Hilton chain (of the hotels I have seen so far).
Old Jan 4, 2015, 10:53 am
Suspended

Programs: AA-EXP (3.3MM), AAirpass, SQ-PPS Solitaire, DL-PM (.777MM), SPG-Plat, HH-D
After spending a week at this resort I would like to point out that this resort is far from a 6 star resort, or luxury experience in the least I am afraid. It is a nice property but more akin to a large all inclusive, all gathering and prepackaged holiday destination.

I think the reviews of the enamored posters here are either out of touch with the real higher end resorts where service and quality are at the top of their game or these posters have yet to experience a proper luxurious resort. We had a lovely time and do encourage point resumptions here rather than using paid stays. The resort is certainly more inline to a mainstream or large scale 4 to 5 star resort catering to the vacationing masses. For the discerning traveler, if you are expecting a unique and luxurious time, this will not be the case despite the glorious reviews on this thread and the price tags associated. The Maldives has so many amazing and high end venues so please shop around, however most of them have limitations in terms of staying with rebates or points. We have another reservation here using old HH devaluation rates before expiring and will be canceling.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 9:37 pm

Programs: AA EP/4MM, DL GM/1MM, HH ♦, Bonvoy LT PLT, Hyatt Globalist, AMEX Bus Plt
Originally Posted by psyflyer
...It is a nice property but more akin to a large all inclusive, all gathering and prepackaged holiday destination.

...We have another reservation here using old HH devaluation rates before expiring and will be canceling.
Have to say that I have been critical at times of the resort. Especially the post-devaluation + exorbinate upgrade rates. I don't get the reference to the all inclusive though.

Have an upcoming old devaluation HH rate next month as well and looking forward to it. Most likely my last stay here but think that is still great value even with an unlikely upgrade as a (multiple) returning Diamond.

Probably can't take advantage of it myself but there may be others that can trade you for that booking in some way.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 10:05 pm

After spending a week at this resort I would like to point out that this resort is far from a 6 star resort, or luxury experience in the least I am afraid. It is a nice property but more akin to a large all inclusive, all gathering and prepackaged holiday destination.

I think the reviews of the enamored posters here are either out of touch with the real higher end resorts where service and quality are at the top of their game or these posters have yet to experience a proper luxurious resort. We had a lovely time and do encourage point resumptions here rather than using paid stays. The resort is certainly more inline to a mainstream or large scale 4 to 5 star resort catering to the vacationing masses. For the discerning traveler, if you are expecting a unique and luxurious time, this will not be the case despite the glorious reviews on this thread and the price tags associated. The Maldives has so many amazing and high end venues so please shop around, however most of them have limitations in terms of staying with rebates or points. We have another reservation here using old HH devaluation rates before expiring and will be canceling.
Which other properties in the Maldives would you recommend and could you be a bit more specific about what you think is better in those than in the Conrad?

P.S.: Update regarding the Russian couple: They now leave their towels (and some magazines) on the beach loungers overnight...to make sure they will have them always. We happily used those two loungers (they are right in front of our villa) maybe an hour or two every day before these people arrived. Never would the thought have crossed our mind to block them for the rest of the day (or night) .
Old Jan 5, 2015, 7:25 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Football Fan

P.S.: Update regarding the Russian couple: They now leave their towels (and some magazines) on the beach loungers overnight...to make sure they will have them always.:.

Just move their stuff, that is what I have always done. Fold it up nicely, place it on one bed ( move the others you need) call reception to have them come and remove saying someone has left something, and if they return and ask you, (to avoid conflict) just say you found it like this, and that reception have been round asking if we'd lost anything ! I hate people that block beds, it's ok if they are going to use them all day, but people that do it so that they have something for 5 minutes are too selfish.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 8:34 am

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, MR Gold

Definitely agree with your statement. The previous Hilton Iru Fushi was better overall than CM from my perspective.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 9:22 am

Despite my last trip to the Conrad being back in September 2013 and since that we returned to the Maldives and stayed at another property I still watch this thread with great interest (and chip in now and again). Whilst there are certain parts of your post that I agree with there are parts I think are unwarranted.

First and foremost I agree that there are better resorts in the world and certainly the Maldives - we personally prefer O&O Reethi Rah. However, I strongly disagree with the sentiment that it's like a large "all inclusive" resort. It is not. I think that a person's impression of the Conrad can differ depending on what their accommodation is. We stayed in the Premier Water Villa on the smaller island but I think it would have been very different had we stayed in one of the standard beach villas. Having stayed in many luxury properties around the world I also partially disagree that the Conrad is not luxurious - it is luxurious - it's just less luxurious than some properties out there.

I think that one of the weaknesses of the Conrad is HHonors. I know that saying this is going to be controversial but I really think it is. Being the 'jewel in the crown' of the Hilton portfolio means that there are many stays which are paid for with point redemptions and I'm not sure mixing point redemptions and revenue stays works in a resort of this type. The resort is unlikely to offer so many of the things that elevate it to luxury status. Luxury resorts, because of the price point they command, typically offer more complimentary things to guests. Conrad can't do that because they can't single out the guests who they're making lots of money from and those they're making less money from. Unfortunately, this means that those who are on a revenue stay are the ones who miss out. Now I know what you're probably thinking... redemption stays are a benefit of being loyal to the Hilton brand and an incentive for you to continue with that loyalty. But unfortunately if a resort is heavily occupied by customers on point redemptions then the bottom line will suffer and the resort will have less money to spend on things to offer back to guests. It's pure economics.

We loved the Conrad but we wouldn't return. We were revenue customers. Having stayed at another property in the Maldives (that would never offer 'free' stays) I now know that there is an even higher benchmark; one that offers champagne drinks receptions on the beach, an enormous afternoon tea served everyday or offers you a private overwater pavilion at no extra cost because they know it will make your romantic dinner even more special. These are the qualities that make a resort luxurious and you can't offer them if your bottom line is constantly squeezed by guests who don't pay for accommodation.

Last edited by jp-mco; Jan 5, 2015 at 10:54 am
Old Jan 5, 2015, 9:41 am

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Angry Monday = Noise

Avoid Monday nights if you like peace and quiet.

10:30pm Monday night... we can hear a constant DUM DUM DUM DUM from the Rangali Bar. After complaining to the management (at 930pm and a few times thereafter) we are told that "it's for the benefit of all the guests". The fact that we want to sleep is irrelevant. At least they delivered earplugs to our room on the other side of the other island (Superior Water Villa).

I had an early AM Scuba res that I called to cancel because of this. Hopefully they don't charge the cancellation fee (I explicitly mentioned why I cancelled and that I expected not to pay said fee).

Edit: The noise seems to have stopped at 1045pm or so.

Up to now this is the first nice hotel about which I had no substantive complaints... after this event I will probably notice every flaw and blow it out of proportion.

Edit 2: Despite front-desk statements that the music would stop at 11pm, we can still hear it at 11:25pm.

Last edited by ralfp; Jan 5, 2015 at 10:27 am Reason: update
Old Jan 5, 2015, 11:06 am

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold

I don't think any of us think this is an Aman. I spend most of my time there diving so I don't interact much with other guests unless they're diving.

I like the resort. I frankly would never get to the Maldives unless I'm staying on points. The service is generally very, very good. The food is quite good. I'm very happy with the Rangali and am looking forward to my third visit next month.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.