Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton New Orleans/St. Charles Avenue {US-LA}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton New Orleans/St. Charles Avenue {US-LA}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2008, 7:12 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Silver
Interesting to note that this property STILL has water problems. Enough to make my stay there this past weekend my first and last...
Staff was pleasant and evening food in the lounge was good. Breakfast was pretty bland, but really in NOLA why eat any meal in the Exec Lounge with all the great options elsewhere?

But back to the water: I had "no" cold water in my room all weekend. I mentioned it to the lounge staff who were nice enough to phone down to the desk to report it, but nothing changed. I reported it again that evening in person at the desk, but still could barely take a shower in the scalding water the next morning. And since my promised "2 bottles of water daily" never showed up after the first day, this also meant drinking hot water from the sink when the need arose for a sip of something in the middle of the night - yum!

Upon checkout I mentioned it again. Bear in mind this is the THIRD time I've brought something to their attention, and still no resolution. Except the comment that "we're sold out because we've taken in guests from the Intercontinental across the street, they had a fire. Several people have mentioned they have no hot water".

I pointed out that I had plenty of HOT water, but no cold, and perhaps could arrange a swap of ice buckets full of water in the hallway with the guests who lacked hot water.
Old Feb 23, 2009, 9:40 am

Programs: PC Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold,HHonors Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite
I stayed at the Hilton St Charles over the weekend and had a wonderful stay. It was a busy weekend for the hotel because it was in the middle of the Mardis Gras parade route and a short walk to the French Quarter. I used points to book this room back in December.

I was arriving at the hotel after getting off a Carnival cruise and arrived at 9:30 am on Saturday. I had talked to the assistant GM before I came about some logistics before I came so I knew what to expect. The assistant GM had sent out an email a week before my arrival to explain whats going on at the hotel during Mardis Gras, how to get to the hotel with the parades, and an offer to but tickets to their parade balcony outside the hotel.

When I arrived my bags were locked up in the bellman's closet and my party was given our wristbands that we had to wear. All the guests were given wristbands to wear so the hotel could control who was allowed access to the hotel. The bellman and security staff were very good at keeping all non guest out of the hotel.

I returned after the first parade at about 1pm and was able to check in. I was given a double bed room on the 12th floor and was given access to the 17th floor exec lounge. The room was in very good shape and being up high allowed us to get away from the noise of the parades down below.

The exec lounge is open 24hrs to get snacks and sodas out of the fridge. On Saturday night they did have dinner snacks available from 5-7pm. They had finger foods from the restaurant downstairs, vegetables, cheese and crackers, trail mix, peanuts, and cookies. They also had wine, beer, and mixed drinks for a fee. Breakfast on Sunday morning consisted of fresh cinnamon rolls, bagels, cereals, croissants, fruit, coffee, and assorted jouces.

The stay at the Hilton St Charles was very nice, even with the busy weekend they were having.
Old Jul 21, 2009, 2:37 pm

Does anyone have any recent reports staying here at the Hilton New Orleans/St Charles Avenue?

I was a Diamond, but been demoted to Gold.

What kind of treatment should I expect while staying a Friday and a Saturday night.

Thanks for any information
Old Jul 21, 2009, 3:54 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, AA Lifetime Gold, BA Exec
N.O. Hilton St. Charles

Stayed there about one month ago as a Gold and was upgraded to a "suite". Weird room that had a kind of little alley attached to it. It was large w/ a kingsize bed and a little bathroom. Not too busy on summer weekends. The hotel was good and so was the staff. Lounge closed on weekends, but they will leave out coffee,breads, butter, creme cheese etc. for you to self serve. I'd skip the hotel restaurant and walk about 4 blocks down St. Charles to Herbsaint. Hotel is 3 blocks from Quarter.
Old Jul 21, 2009, 6:42 pm

Programs: UA, bmi, AA, CO, DL, B6, AMEX, Hertz, Most Hotels
This Gold stayed there last week on the hotels.com $5/night rate for the Exec King

Odd exchange at checking (initially was told that there were no King rooms and no rooms on the 17th (Lounge) Floor) but it ended well with me getting just that. ^

oh and fwiw, they also told another FTer (Diamond) that there were no suites on the 17th floor.

Otherwise, the staff was great.

FYI, double check your toiletries as two of us found we were given no shampoo.

have a great trip
Old Jul 23, 2009, 9:23 am

Thanks for the great tips, specs and bk3day.

I have been debating on whether to stay there or just stay in the French Quarter at the Omni Royal.

Again,thanks for your help!

Porkchop
Old Feb 21, 2012, 7:35 am

Location: Chapel Hill, NC - UA Nobody (sigh)/0.925MM, HHonors Diamond
Any updates on this property? Thinking of a long weekend in NO. I've not stayed at the Hilton Riverside, but CHGal has and was not impressed, so wondering if this is a better option. Exec lounge still have complimentary beer/wine 5-7? I'd find this surprising given most other domestic lounges charging $ now. TIA.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 9:49 am

Programs: SkyMiles PM, Hyatt Gold Passport Platinum
I stayed there in December and I think the reception issued some coupons for drinks. Otherwise there was a charge. I'm never wanting for a drink in NOLA so I didn't give it a thought, but I think they gave a couple of drink chits. Snacks, soft drinks and water are complimentary, and the refrigerator is open all night.

The rooms aren't especially chic, but they're spacious. Views are nothing to speak of either, but the location is pretty central. The newish restaurant Luke downstairs is quite good.
Old May 7, 2012, 12:02 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, UA Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Diamond/Ambassador, Hyatt Explor
Any overnight street parking near the property? $32 a night is a bit steep.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 10:06 pm

Programs: UA, US, AA, Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold, & PC
Any update for this hotel?
Old Mar 21, 2014, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Given the lack of full update on this hotel, I figured some pictures and comments were in order. I completed a 2 night stay this week.

I arrived in a hurried frenzy between two appointments. Check in took about 90 seconds and I was on my way up to my 11th floor room.

Room

The room is a pretty standard, updated Hilton room. I wasn't put on the Executive level or seem to have received any upgrade at all. It's a fine sized room. Fridge and safe in the TV stand/dresser, decent sized bathroom, etc. I slept incredibly well both nights - but maybe that was partly attributable to the New Orleans alcohol...

Lounge

When checked in, I was given a paper slip which entitles you to 2 free drinks (wine or beer) in the executive lounge from 5-7pm every night. I had beer and they have a decent selection from local micro brew to common swill. Something for everybody! They also had some fresh veggies and lite bites out. Soda is available from the fridge.

Breakfast was a bit of a disappointment and doesn't meet the standard I'd expect for a full line Hilton. Breakfast was the same both mornings: Hampton Inn style folded up omelettes and greasy, thin, not crispy bacon. + they had the standard bagels, cereal, pastries, etc. Diamond breakfast is just in the lounge. I asked about vouchers for the restaurant - Luke - and was told that since the hotel didn't own/operate it there were no vouchers or discounts.

Overall a very quiet hotel and pleasant to stay in. I'd probably stay here again if I stay at a Hilton property. No amazing views of anything from the hotel, but it's a great location and was a better value than the hotel (Marriott on Canal) my colleagues stayed in two blocks away. They didn't have hot water either morning and it was incredibly crowded.
Crazyhotelguy likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 2:38 pm

Programs: Holder of six "persona non-grata" awards
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Given the lack of full update on this hotel, I figured some pictures and comments were in order. I completed a 2 night stay this week.

I arrived in a hurried frenzy between two appointments. Check in took about 90 seconds and I was on my way up to my 11th floor room.

Room

The room is a pretty standard, updated Hilton room. I wasn't put on the Executive level or seem to have received any upgrade at all. It's a fine sized room. Fridge and safe in the TV stand/dresser, decent sized bathroom, etc. I slept incredibly well both nights - but maybe that was partly attributable to the New Orleans alcohol...

Lounge

When checked in, I was given a paper slip which entitles you to 2 free drinks (wine or beer) in the executive lounge from 5-7pm every night. I had beer and they have a decent selection from local micro brew to common swill. Something for everybody! They also had some fresh veggies and lite bites out. Soda is available from the fridge.

Breakfast was a bit of a disappointment and doesn't meet the standard I'd expect for a full line Hilton. Breakfast was the same both mornings: Hampton Inn style folded up omelettes and greasy, thin, not crispy bacon. + they had the standard bagels, cereal, pastries, etc. Diamond breakfast is just in the lounge. I asked about vouchers for the restaurant - Luke - and was told that since the hotel didn't own/operate it there were no vouchers or discounts.

Overall a very quiet hotel and pleasant to stay in. I'd probably stay here again if I stay at a Hilton property. No amazing views of anything from the hotel, but it's a great location and was a better value than the hotel (Marriott on Canal) my colleagues stayed in two blocks away. They didn't have hot water either morning and it was incredibly crowded.
The Executive Lounge looks depressing....no windows or view?
Old Mar 21, 2014, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by fozziedoggie
The Executive Lounge looks depressing....no windows or view?
No windows at all. The wall on the left side there faces west, and I think the building might be directly adjacent to another, so nothing to see anyway. There is a flat screen TV on the wall just off to the left of that picture, and the coffee station is behind where I'm standing.

I just took my beer and snacks back to my room, which did have big windows and a nice view of a brick wall. The New Orleans Riverside might appeal more for those who want a view, or you could request a room with a view of St. Charles. I didn't think to request a better view, or particularly care since I used to live in NOLA.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 5:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP / HH Diamond
Just had a wonderful two night stay there. Tenth floor, room seemed newly renovated, king suite. The EL was closed for renovations, but they had a temporary "lounge" set up on the sixth floor outside the gym. Golds and Diamonds can help themselves to snacks and sodas at the store next to the lobby. Breakfast at Luke, the on-site restaurant was also comped, and was fantastic. (Eggs to order or Fruit and Yogurt; choice of grits or potatoes, toast or biscuits. Coffee, juice "taxes and gratuity" included)
Old Mar 2, 2015, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Flyer78
Just had a wonderful two night stay there. Tenth floor, room seemed newly renovated, king suite. The EL was closed for renovations, but they had a temporary "lounge" set up on the sixth floor outside the gym. Golds and Diamonds can help themselves to snacks and sodas at the store next to the lobby. Breakfast at Luke, the on-site restaurant was also comped, and was fantastic. (Eggs to order or Fruit and Yogurt; choice of grits or potatoes, toast or biscuits. Coffee, juice "taxes and gratuity" included)
Glad to hear this. I'll be back there in a couple of weeks and called them because I had seen the renovations noted on TripAdvisor. I'm excited about trying breakfast at Luke since that wasn't an option in the past. I wonder if Golds get that by default or if I need to switch my myway preferences to breakfast from bonus points. Do you know?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.