Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Honors Gold VIP Status: Spend US$20,000 on Hilton Honors American Express

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Honors Gold VIP Status: Spend US$20,000 on Hilton Honors American Express

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2005, 4:38 pm

Programs: UA 2P (will be 0P next yr), HH Diamond (thank you Surpass Card!)
Originally Posted by Rut Dog
No, your memory is correct: this was in the thread I referred to about Amex spending earning Gold. (Either that or we are sharing odd dreams that seem like actual memories.) In that thread (or dream a few Amex CSR's are reported to have mentioned it.

Unfortunately with the search down, I can't find the thread. It must have a vague title, as I scanned all thread titles last five - make that TEN - pages for "gold" and "Amex".
You are both right. I remember this thread as well, particularly since I looked back at my spending and found that I was something like $50 below the threshold for just one of the twelve months prior and had not received any upgrade to Diamond from Amex. Had me a trifle perturbed .

I also seem to remember that this was not an "official" policy in writing anywhere (or at least anywhere that the public or the CSRs could see) and that it appeared to be somewhat discretionary and arbitrary on Amex's part. The CSRs could see that it had been applied in various cases, but could not see any rules, etc., and no idea if it was applied to everyone or not. It was all very vague.

Last edited by Jassy-50; Mar 8, 2005 at 9:50 am
Old Mar 7, 2005, 5:07 pm

Programs: HH Gld, MR Plt, PC Plt, AA Plt, CO Gld, Amtrk S+
Originally Posted by dhacker
Is this the thread you are looking for?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=367190
Thanks dhacker, that's it! See post # 25 by Grog:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showp...2&postcount=25

"Verbally, I've learned that AmEx is again offering what they call a courtesy upgrade to Diamond to US Hilton HHonors Platinum AmEx card holders who have over $2,500 in monthly card spend over a consecutive six-month period. Ongoing through April 2006."

The promo Grog discusses is unpublished and uncomfirmed, but not inconceivable after Amex has gone and made public that they will upgrade anyone with $20,000+ in purchases.

It wouldn't surprise me if there were a couple triggers that give a member Diamond status for being a heavy card user.
Old Mar 7, 2005, 6:19 pm

I got the card in mail today offering us upgrade to Gold if we spend 20,000$ a year on Hilton Am Ex card. Didn't excite me, we are already Diamond!!!
Old Mar 9, 2005, 12:20 am

Smile

Wow - this is exciting news! My HH AmEx is still pretty shiny new, so I hope it's eligible for this change, too!

I understand Mrs. MileKing's confusion over which card to use for what (which Mr. MileKing wrote about in a related thread.) I had to create a spreadsheet so I can see which rewards card to use for what purchase.

I have the Citi Diamond Preferred, which gives 5 points for supermarkets, gas stations and drugstores (tho I'll probably switch to their cashback version, the Dividend Select) and Chase Profit which gives 3% cashback for restaurants. This HH change beats Profit, plus the cellphone and post office additions are very sweet!

Thanks for this great news!!

Barb
Old Mar 9, 2005, 7:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
My postcard came in the mail today - mentioned the $20k Gold offer, didn't mention anything related to Diamond. I will give Amex a call sometime this week to ask about that one...
Old Mar 9, 2005, 9:58 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Plat, HHonors Diamond
This is really cool. I never thought I'd make HHGold with the frequency of my travel ... just another reason why you should be getting something for using your credit card. Love it.
Old Mar 9, 2005, 12:30 pm

Programs: United Premier Exec, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Five Star
I just called them

Originally Posted by pinniped
My postcard came in the mail today - mentioned the $20k Gold offer, didn't mention anything related to Diamond. I will give Amex a call sometime this week to ask about that one...
The agent at Amex told me they did mail to select members an automatic upgrade to Diamond VIP. When asked who qualified and why she could not answer. Anyone have some insight on how to qualify? Anyone get bumped up?
Old Mar 9, 2005, 12:41 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold since '02, Hertz President's Circle since '07
Originally Posted by tan70ri
When asked who qualified and why she could not answer. Anyone have some insight on how to qualify?
Welcome to FlyerTalk... this was posted earlier in the thread:
Originally Posted by pointsofinterest quoting Grog
"Verbally, I've learned that AmEx is again offering what they call a courtesy upgrade to Diamond to US Hilton HHonors Platinum AmEx card holders who have over $2,500 in monthly card spend over a consecutive six-month period. Ongoing through April 2006."
See original discussion here:
Old Mar 9, 2005, 12:44 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold since '02, Hertz President's Circle since '07
Originally Posted by pinniped
My postcard came in the mail today
Would anyone be willing to scan the postcard and post it on the web or e-mail it to me?
Old Mar 9, 2005, 12:59 pm

Programs: United Premier Exec, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Five Star
Thanks Rut Dog. I had seen that posting and that's the angle I tried to take with Amex. the agent said she was not aware of that program and could find nothing about it. Not sure if she was being completely honest. Had to pull teeth to get any info from her.
Old Mar 9, 2005, 4:51 pm

Programs: United Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Rut Dog
Welcome to FlyerTalk... this was posted earlier in the thread:See original discussion here:
I spent $28,000+ last year on my Amex in new charges but didn't get any upgrade to Diamond. I hope to call and ask for a complimentary upgrade for this year since my Gold expires in April.
Old Mar 9, 2005, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by hellmutt
I spent $28,000+ last year on my Amex in new charges but didn't get any upgrade to Diamond. I hope to call and ask for a complimentary upgrade for this year since my Gold expires in April.
Did you have six consecutive months with over $2500?
Old Mar 10, 2005, 5:33 am

Interesting that these new terms do not show up on the HHonors website under ways to earn points. The AMEX Platinum blurb still has just the old terms. I was thinking of getting the card to take advantage of the new, improved incentives pointed out in the OP but now will probably call first to make sure the new terms and not the old ones will apply if I get the card. Perhaps I should wait until April 15? (A very small counterbalance for my income tax payments that day. )
Old Mar 11, 2005, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I didn't bother reading the changes on my HHonors Amex statement, so thanks for the update here.

I just switched my cell bill and all gas now goes on the card. ^
Old Mar 18, 2005, 2:38 pm

Hilton HHonors Gold VIP Status: Spend US$20,000 on Hilton HHonors American Express

I just received a new account agreement from AMEX and I read some of the fine print. I never noticed it before, but it says you recevie Gold status if you charge $20,000 in a calender year.

It's a little for a lot of charging, but its something I never noticed before.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.