Search

Conrad Bangkok Residences {THA}

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2010, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Interesting.

This property didn't originally participate in HH, then joined around 5 years ago, then left and now seems to have rejoined again, it is rather difficult to keep up. The site definitely does state that HH points can be accrued but that no other benefits are available including my way benefits (which seems to exclude upgrades and free breakfast) and no free internet and the hotel Exec Lounge is specifically excluded (as it always has been).

Given the is it in or not nature of this properties participation in HH I would be looking for an email from the property that I could use as evidence in the event that they change their minds again. I always had an issue getting HH points at this property in the past and after each stay had to chase this up with HH Customoer service and provide copy invoices, so make sure you keep everything.

The stays once eventually credited always counted for stays and nights as well as well as points accrual. I am not entirely sure that a limited number of points would be a big enough incentive to choose the Conrad over the better serviced apartments available locally. The fact that I used to get free breakfast for 2 at cafe@2 was always the clincher for me, without this it is quite marginal.
Old Nov 7, 2010, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
Interesting.

This property didn't originally participate in HH, then joined around 5 years ago, then left and now seems to have rejoined again, it is rather difficult to keep up. The site definitely does state that HH points can be accrued but that no other benefits are available including my way benefits (which seems to exclude upgrades and free breakfast) and no free internet and the hotel Exec Lounge is specifically excluded (as it always has been).

Given the is it in or not nature of this properties participation in HH I would be looking for an email from the property that I could use as evidence in the event that they change their minds again. I always had an issue getting HH points at this property in the past and after each stay had to chase this up with HH Customoer service and provide copy invoices, so make sure you keep everything.

The stays once eventually credited always counted for stays and nights as well as well as points accrual. I am not entirely sure that a limited number of points would be a big enough incentive to choose the Conrad over the better serviced apartments available locally. The fact that I used to get free breakfast for 2 at cafe@2 was always the clincher for me, without this it is quite marginal.
my wife & i are taking my parents to thailand so if my mom & wife had their way a kitchen would mean much more than free breakfast at the lounge....they both love to cook....

as long as i get the points i'm not really concerned about the other benefits for this stay....i always keep my folio until my points post so that won't be a problem....since i'll be on vacation, i wont really be using the internet....i have my iphone in case i need to send emails....

i think at the end of the day my parents would prefer a nice suite with a living room over the conrad where we will have to take 2 seperate rooms....
Old Nov 7, 2010, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by saad
my wife & i are taking my parents to thailand so if my mom & wife had their way a kitchen would mean much more than free breakfast at the lounge....they both love to cook....

as long as i get the points i'm not really concerned about the other benefits for this stay....i always keep my folio until my points post so that won't be a problem....since i'll be on vacation, i wont really be using the internet....i have my iphone in case i need to send emails....

i think at the end of the day my parents would prefer a nice suite with a living room over the conrad where we will have to take 2 seperate rooms....
It is the space you value though surely as an SPG Plat, the SGS would be a much better choice? The suites there are larger than the Conrad Residence and your only trade off is the limited cooking facilities but the upside is breakfast, a much better pool and the evening cocktail hours.

The Kitchen amounts to a hotplate, fridge freezer, toaster, kettle and microwave. They are very small and not really suitable for much in the way of cooking beyond warming up takeaway.

Again if you need a proper kitchen I would recommend the Marriott Mayfair, which adds much more space, an oven, dishwasher and washer dryer to the mix. I lived at the Mayfair for quite a while and really liked the property.

I would consider the Conrad Residence to be more a hotel with kitchen facilities than a true apartment style residence. Nothing wrong with that per se, just horses for courses.
Old Nov 7, 2010, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
It is the space you value though surely as an SPG Plat, the SGS would be a much better choice? The suites there are larger than the Conrad Residence and your only trade off is the limited cooking facilities but the upside is breakfast, a much better pool and the evening cocktail hours.
i really like the sgs but there is no gaurantee of a suite there (although i have got one almost everytime i stayed there) & even if i did get a suite, it would only be for one room....

The Kitchen amounts to a hotplate, fridge freezer, toaster, kettle and microwave. They are very small and not really suitable for much in the way of cooking beyond warming up takeaway.
good enough for 2 days....

Again if you need a proper kitchen I would recommend the Marriott Mayfair, which adds much more space, an oven, dishwasher and washer dryer to the mix. I lived at the Mayfair for quite a while and really liked the property.
will look up the marriott....but its unlikely i'll stay there since i have no status with them & there would be no point is collecting points since i never stay with them....

I would consider the Conrad Residence to be more a hotel with kitchen facilities than a true apartment style residence. Nothing wrong with that per se, just horses for courses.
thanks for the heads up....will keep it in mind....but like i said, we are only there for 2 days....one day on our way into thailand & one day on our way out....
Old Nov 7, 2010, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by saad
i really like the sgs but there is no gaurantee of a suite there (although i have got one almost everytime i stayed there) & even if i did get a suite, it would only be for one room....

good enough for 2 days....

will look up the marriott....but its unlikely i'll stay there since i have no status with them & there would be no point is collecting points since i never stay with them....

thanks for the heads up....will keep it in mind....but like i said, we are only there for 2 days....one day on our way into thailand & one day on our way out....
I didn't think they did short stay bookings like that, the minimum stay was a week last time I went there, in fact I have paid for a week and spent less time there on 2 of my stays, because it was still the cheapest option.

You are practically guaranteed a suite at the SGS, I have not failed to get one in circa 14 stays. If you have 2 rooms and one upgraded to a suite they should add the 2nd room as a connection to make a 2 bed suite.
Old Nov 8, 2010, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I didn't think they did short stay bookings like that, the minimum stay was a week last time I went there, in fact I have paid for a week and spent less time there on 2 of my stays, because it was still the cheapest option.
no problems when trying to book short stays....

You are practically guaranteed a suite at the SGS, I have not failed to get one in circa 14 stays. If you have 2 rooms and one upgraded to a suite they should add the 2nd room as a connection to make a 2 bed suite.
i know i'm very likely to get a suite at the sgs & have on close to half a dozen occasions, but this is around the new year so there may be a rush....like i said before, when traveling with family i would not want to take a chance with an upgrade....
Old Nov 8, 2010, 12:25 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Yes, you definitely will earn HH points at the Conrad Residence BKK.

If a kitchen is important, the two-bedroom units are a good choice. Reasonably well-equipped kitchen (induction cooktop, micro, hotpot, plenty of dishes, apt-size fridge, washing machine, but barely adequate cookware, no clothes dryer, no conventional oven). Master bedroom is quite spacious with a chaise and loads of closet space. Second bedroom much smaller, almost cramped, but not unpleasant. Also, spacious, nice bathrooms. Staff is excellent on both sides (residence/hotel), although they've recently undergone a huge turnover on the residence side, plus still adapting to upgraded computer system.

We did not care for the Marriott on Lang Suan. Found the units felt dark/dreary, in need of a facelift, definitely not as well laid out. Staff is not warm/fuzzy, and in general the property felt less "welcoming" (for lack of a better word). Also, it's a very long walk to BTS if you care about that.

You also might check out the Grand Centre Point (just off Ratchadamri, across and down the soi from the FS), which used to cater primarily to long-stay residents, but now caters to tourists. The two-bedroom units are well laid out and kitchens have conventional ovens (if this matters). Staff is good, but not as warm and friendly as Conrad.

The residences at Emporium are among the most spacious in the city center. This property is much more apartment-like than hotel-like. The last time we had a look-see, the entire property was in dire need of facelifting, which I seem to recall hearing had been started (floor by floor). If you can overlook that, it's nice to have the exceptionally easy BTS access via the adjacent mall (much bigger mall than All Seasons Place, adjacent to Conrad). Prices are reasonable, staff is quite good. It's in the heart of Sukhumvit, so this can be a pro or a con depending on your preferences.

We've looked at a number of other serviced apartments that do short-term bookings, mostly within the past nine months. Feel free to PM us if we can help.
Old Nov 8, 2010, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

thanks for the update mr&mrs....i think i'll stick with the conrad residence....i'm a big points junkie....
Old Nov 8, 2010, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mr&mrs
We did not care for the Marriott on Lang Suan. Found the units felt dark/dreary, in need of a facelift, definitely not as well laid out. Staff is not warm/fuzzy, and in general the property felt less "welcoming" (for lack of a better word). Also, it's a very long walk to BTS if you care about that.
The unit type is really important. The xx01 type units are both significantly larger and lighter and better designed (e.g. huge ensuite bathroom to master bed). They also face towards the rear of the property thus minimising the noise from Langsuan itself which can be an issue with the units at the front. I wouldn't pick any unit other than the xx01 type (located at the end of the corridor).

The nearest BTS is actually Rajadamri and easily accessible via the soi which runs by the Villa market. Even the walk to Chidlom is about as long as the walk from the Conrad to Ploenchit. I have always preferred walking along Langsuan than wireless though.

For what it's worth I always thought that the staff at the Mayfair were exceptional, whereas those at the Conrad (Residence not Hotel) were quite "laid back", nowhere near as friendly and welcoming as the Marriott.

Last edited by Land-of-Miles; Nov 8, 2010 at 3:26 pm
Old Jun 13, 2011, 9:48 am

Programs: SPG Plat, CX DM, DL Gold, HHonors Gold, AA Plat
The Conrad looks like a nice property in BKK. I'm looking of traveling there with the wife and our dog since they allow pets.
I'm currently in Singapore and will probably be in BKK for a couple months for work. Anyone masters know of way to game a good rate?
Old Aug 19, 2012, 11:57 pm

Programs: AS-MVP, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold
Property Updates?

Are there any updates on the HH benefits of this property? Is the lounge and breakfast still off-limits?
Old Nov 8, 2012, 8:37 am

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Originally Posted by NW-A332
Are there any updates on the HH benefits of this property? Is the lounge and breakfast still off-limits?
+1

Hotel seems have very good size suites at extremely low prices
Old Nov 8, 2012, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I thought this property had opted out of HH again it certainly had last time I looked. Histroically you never received any benefits for HH status at all (unless you argued hard for a breakfast) and I always had to chase up the missing HH points.

If the Residence is now participating in HH it is a good option. The rooms have much better designs than the majority of the hotel suites and you get all the benefit of being in the hotel (albeit on a low floor).
Old Dec 19, 2012, 8:53 am

So no recent information? I'm about to book it for 4 nights next week but only if I can get points. Breakfast would be a plus too but not as important as points

I only have Gold status, same with SPG. Never stayed at SGS, always wanted to but as Gold wont get all the same perks right? Also price is an issue. Getting a much better price for Conrad Residences.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 9:37 am

Programs: Lufthansa FTL, HHonors Gold, Le Club Accorhotels Platinum
AFAIK you'll get points and a stay but no Gold member benefits

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.