Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Puckrup Hall, Tewkesbury {GBR}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Puckrup Hall, Tewkesbury {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2005, 10:41 am
Original Poster

Arrow Hilton Puckrup Hall, Tewkesbury {GBR}

My wife & I just returned from this property after taking advantage of Continental's new service from EWR to Bristol. Comments:

1) We really enjoyed our stay on this beautiful property.
2) We received a diamond upgrade to a Junior Suite with a sitting area, balcony and great view of the golfcourse.
3) We used points for the stay - I think it is a great value at 20K per night
4) Breakfast was included with all rates & it was a great spread.
5) The bar was spacious, had a nice selection, and stayed open later than we needed. After 11 you are only able to bill to your room.
6) Tewkesbury is a fun little town about 5-10 minutes away. We enjoyed several of the pubs and ate at several of the hotels. Plenty of parking is available just off of the main streets in public pay & display lots (free after 17:30)
7) Do not take the Tewkesbury exit off of the M5. Instead, take M50 West and get off at the first exit. Follow the Tewkesbury signs - the Hilton is less than a mile down on your right.
8) We did not golf but the course looked nice.
9) Plenty of free parking in one of the three lots.
10) The staff was friendly and eager to please.
11) Even when packed with two weddings I did not notice a lot of noise or a reduction in service.
12) HSI was, IIRC, 15GBP per day in the room. A PC was available for 5GBP for 15 minutes. I saw signs for WiFi but did not see any details regarding cost.
13) No airconditioning on the property as with a lot of hotels. We never were uncomfortable but sometimes the humidity made things stuffy. Our room cooled off nicely in the evenings.
14) We thought it was a great location for touring and motoring throughout the region.
15) It is about 1 to 1.5 hours from the Bristol airport depending on your route and traffic.
Old Jun 1, 2005, 11:26 am

Programs: UA 1MM, MR Platinum
Originally Posted by MBM3
12) HSI was, IIRC, 15GBP per day in the room. A PC was available for 5GBP for 15 minutes. I saw signs for WiFi but did not see any details regarding cost.
If you go north on the M5, the next rest stop has Internet access at fairly reasonable rates. (Of course, I didn't factor in the cost of petrol, but I think you still come out ahead, if, like me, you're appalled at paying L15/day for Internet access.)
Old Jun 1, 2005, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the report; good to know. I've been avoiding UK hiltons, mostly because of the number of crappy ones in London. The ones "in country" are hard to find reviews about.

This looks like a nice base for our next jaunt to Hay-on-the-Wey when we run out of reading material.
Old Jun 1, 2005, 12:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pseudoprime
If you go north on the M5, the next rest stop has Internet access at fairly reasonable rates. (Of course, I didn't factor in the cost of petrol, but I think you still come out ahead, if, like me, you're appalled at paying L15/day for Internet access.)
Given the US$ exchange rate I was glad that this was a fun trip rather than work trip!
Old Jun 1, 2005, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BigLar
Thanks for the report; good to know. I've been avoiding UK hiltons, mostly because of the number of crappy ones in London. The ones "in country" are hard to find reviews about.

This looks like a nice base for our next jaunt to Hay-on-the-Wey when we run out of reading material.
It was hard for us to find reviews prior to leaving but we are glad we chose this property. Some others in the region were tempting, such as Bath or Cardiff, but being out of the city was great. Espescially due to the football matches at Millenium Stadium - Cardiff was nuts and a mess when we visited the castle on Monday!

Bottom line - we would go back in a second. It is not the fanciest of places but well worth a points stay.
Old Jun 1, 2005, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by BigLar
The ones "in country" are hard to find reviews about.
Just ask on FT! I've stayed at most Hiltons in the south of England, apart from those in London (which, despite being crappy, are out of my price bracket).

Not been to Tewkesbury, so thanks for the report MBM. Nice to see people from "over there" using EWR-BRS, as well!
Old Jun 1, 2005, 8:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by small em
Just ask on FT! I've stayed at most Hiltons in the south of England, apart from those in London (which, despite being crappy, are out of my price bracket).

Not been to Tewkesbury, so thanks for the report MBM. Nice to see people from "over there" using EWR-BRS, as well!

Check out my report in the CO forum regarding my flights to/from BRS. I was extremely satisfied with my trip. Coach seats are rough no matter who or what you fly, but the convenience of BRS is hard to beat.

As for price, I think my room was rated at about 175GBP/night, which is way overpriced in my mind in comparison to the US. Then again, I havent a lot of experience in other UK hotels.
Old Jun 2, 2005, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by MBM3
As for price, I think my room was rated at about 175GBP/night, which is way overpriced in my mind in comparison to the US.
Welcome to Rip-Off Britain!
Old Sep 13, 2005, 2:10 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, HGVC Elite, Flying Blue Gold
Have just returned from a weekend stay at Puckrup Hall, and would like to completely agree with comments made by MBM3.

The staff were very courteous. We were upgraded to a lovely superior room in Puckrup Hall, the old white building that stands adjacent to the main hotel.

If you are a golfer, then the course looks absolutely wonderful! There is a decent fitness room and stretch room, beauty salon, pool and spa.

The rates are also quite reasonable at this time of year.

Tewkesbury is approx 5-10 mins drive away. There are plenty of bistros where you can have the traditional roast dinner.
Old Sep 13, 2005, 3:48 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold
Puckrup Hall, Tewkesbury

I just love the name of the place. I read this trip report just because the title grabbed my attention. Glad to hear it is a decent place.
Old Jun 20, 2006, 6:04 pm

Programs: BA:Gold Amex:Green :IC Platinum Elite Amb
Trip Report, Puckrup Hall - Gloucester, UK

Not sure if this is the first, a search for this elusive part of England failed to find anything about this ex Stakis Hotel (or more accurately Golf Resort).

Thanks to a 'Take That' concert in Cardiff and the current triple points promotion I found myself booking into the Puckrup Hall even though it is about an hours drive from where I'm working (usually frequenting the Newport or Cardiff hiltons).

Just off the M50 and a few miles from the M5 the hotel complex is close to Birmingham and offers an expansive complex of conference rooms, hotel and golf course. Initial impression was that parking was constrained and too far from the hotel (see later) but arriving monday evening I found a (free of charge) parking spot close enough for lugging my away for the week kit. Check in at reception was faultless - no delay, preprinted room card/key and very pleasant surroundings.

I'd booked a 'family' room on the web as this was the cheapest available and requested an upgrade. Turned out my room was about as far from reception as they could manage and entering the room was a twin, but large and with a good view of the golf course and country side. Diamond amentity was 2 x bottles (small) of good quality wine, water, chocolates and fruit (seems to be the standard Diamond offering in the UK). No bath robe or welcome letter but the room was clean, airy and well equiped with a sofa plus chair to relax in.

Walking around the hotel corridors and outside grounds it was clear that room 137 could be considered an 'upgrade' as many of the rooms lacked a view and would appear to be some what smaller. My reservation was for a king + sofabed room so whilst initially annoyed I've mellowed given the comfort of the room and bed which had a duvet rather than the more usual sheets/blanket. No wine/water on the second night but I'm used to the limited recognition Hilton Honors VIP's get even if staying over a 100 nights a year in Hilton hotels (dig!).

First night I decided to eat in the bar and ended up having a Pizza (11GBP) on the patio overlooking the golf course. When it arrived I was expecting the usual Hilton offering but was pleasantly surprised with the quality and speed of service. A litre of sparkling water was 3.10GBP, same as a pint of so called beer (from a pressure cask).

Internet connection in the room was irratic using iPass but eventually got a connection, speed was slower than usual but still broadband (~512kbps). Without iPass and no evidence of BTOpenzone in the reception/business area the offer of 15GBP a day or 75GBP a week for the Hilton Connections package is looking very expensive (mind you I don't pay for iPass roaming as it's a corporate service replacing 0800 dialup!).

Arriving back from work on the second day I decided to eat in the bar again, big mistake as England was playing Sweden, but the bar staff again were very responsive and a Hilton 'Club' sandwich arrived very promptly and clearly showed the chef/kitchen cared about food as in addition to the sandwich and fries it came with a very tasty pasta salad. Taking a walk after eating showed how large the golf course is plus the lane outside the hotel looks to lead down to the river Severn and also onto a footpath to the nearby market town of Tweksbury. No local pubs are evident but I get the feeling that a little bit more exploration would reveal some interesting place to eat and drink.

Walking a circle route back to the hotel also revealed there is a seperate car park (much larger) to the golf reception, which happens to be beneath the rooms furthest from the hotel reception. Also this reveals the '19th' hole which looks to be a very snug bar for relaxing in.

Overall Puckrup Hall can start to grow on you, a quite country location close to several major towns yet in the middle of some of the most delightful countryside. I'm not a golf fan but the course is clearly very good and the spa offerings from the menu in the room show the hotel understands the need to offer more. I'd be concerned about room allocation if staying on a family leisure visit, but the size of the hotel, range of common parts and access to countryside appeals.

I'd guess that a weekend stay could find the place very busy, during the week there are a few 'business' people, and seemingly few leisure quests (in June at least).

One more night to go. I might try the main restaurant if only to sample the ambiance of what looked to be a very fine dining room.

Last edited by UKTony; Jun 20, 2006 at 6:11 pm
Old Jun 21, 2006, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
I had a very weird experience at this hotel in the past having booked in for a special occasion to a suite, only to find ourselves in a room (not a particularly large one at that) with seating area (1 chair and table) and a terrace with table and chairs (not the most useful thing to have during a cold December).

The main restaurant was however very nice and for those on dinner inclusive rates (Hilton UK offers for instance) they allow (or used to allow) a full choice from an a la carte menu.
Old Jun 22, 2006, 1:38 am

Programs: Hhonors (Diamond); HGVC (Elite); Ex/Comp'd - Priority Club (Platinum); UA (Gold); KLM (Gold);
I was upgraded to a room in Puckrup Hall itself - large with high ceilings and a big comfortable bed.
Very large bathroom, but could have done with a refit of spa-bath and separate shower !

Nice enough place for a visit, especially given the local alternative Hiltons which are more like HGIs - Swindon, Newport, Bromsgrove, etc.

I'd like to return to this hotel - and next time take my golf clubs !

Last edited by Travel The World; Jun 22, 2006 at 1:47 am
Old Jun 22, 2006, 9:17 am

Programs: Hilton Hhonors Diomand, Starward Platinum, Sofitel Gold, BMI Silver
The trick is to get a room in the old bit. These are lovely. Large, high celings, beams, its like staying at the farm house in the Darling Buds of May - but probably a lot cleaner and on a golf course not a farm. The rooms are called March, September, Winter, Summer etc - I'm convinced that the breakfast staff treat you better when they ask your room number and you say "Summer" .....
Old Jun 22, 2006, 1:59 pm

Programs: Hhonors (Diamond); HGVC (Elite); Ex/Comp'd - Priority Club (Platinum); UA (Gold); KLM (Gold);
Originally Posted by Matt1
The trick is to get a room in the old bit. These are lovely. Large, high celings, beams, its like staying at the farm house in the Darling Buds of May - but probably a lot cleaner and on a golf course not a farm. The rooms are called March, September, Winter, Summer etc - I'm convinced that the breakfast staff treat you better when they ask your room number and you say "Summer" .....
That's right, I'd forgotten about that. I think we were in "Winter"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.