Community
Wiki Posts
Search

100,000 Points Limit Per Stay

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2003, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A friend of mine had a very expensive 2 month stay coming up. I advised him of the 100k rule and he made an arrangement with the manager to break up the stays accordingly. He got about 500k overall.
Old Nov 11, 2003, 6:19 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
I'd sure be curious to know whether there was or is any rationale at all for the 100k limit. If it was intended to prevent fraud, then showing that you actually spent the $ should take care of that concern.
Old Nov 11, 2003, 11:04 pm

Programs: Marriott LTT, Hilton Dia, Hyatt Expl, Avis Pres, Hertz Pres, National EE, AA Gold, UA Silver
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">I have stayed at Marriott and Starwood and have never had the problems with posting more than 100,000 per stay. [/B]</font>
Starwood will let any number of points post, though not for stays of 30 days or longer.
Old Nov 12, 2003, 8:13 am
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Why the 30-day limit? Is it just that people who stay that long are assumed not to be motivated by the frequent guest program? If so, that's a poor assumption, IMHO.
Old Nov 12, 2003, 8:53 am

Programs: Marriott LTT, Hilton Dia, Hyatt Expl, Avis Pres, Hertz Pres, National EE, AA Gold, UA Silver
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by nsx:
Why the 30-day limit? Is it just that people who stay that long are assumed not to be motivated by the frequent guest program? If so, that's a poor assumption, IMHO.</font>
The popular theory on the Starwood board is that it is because of the legal status of the guest if they stay for 30 or more days. Apparently if you stay for more than a month, you are considered a tenant, and not a guest. This means that you do not have to pay the regular tax rate on your room, and that if the hotel wants you to leave, they have to go through a formal eviction process, just as though you were living in an apartment. Of course, I am not sure why this should effect the earning of points. However, as with most things, the points issue is negotiable. It seems to be popular to negotitate a long term rate that does include points directly with the hotel in advance.
Old Nov 12, 2003, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Location: Dallas,TX -AA EXP 2MM,PLT Premier MARRIOITT, DIAM HILTX -
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by andrzej:
There are more questions:

Correct me if I'm wrong, since I've never stayed in a hotel this long, but wouldn't the hotel want to settle the charges on some regular basis?

The hotel settles the charges once a week. every Saturday night the hotel bills my AMEX like clock work

If that's the case, why didn't the OP question the points about 3-4 months ago? After all they either showed up in segments till they hit 100K or they never showed up(in which case, it should have been questioned immediately).

FYI, Points do not post until you check out. This is standard and customary across the board with most hotel chains ie Marriott, SPG etc...

Just curious, but this story has some holes IMHO.

There are NO holes. The story is just as stated!

</font>

[This message has been edited by BellaLouise (edited November 12, 2003).]
Old Nov 12, 2003, 11:37 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
I don't even think I've ever been home for 240 nights in a row.

I would have to say to check out, go someplace for the weekend, then come back again.

Old Nov 13, 2003, 8:33 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by BellaLouise:
I have 1 stay withh 250 nights with Hilton in 2003. I checked in in February and will not check out until end of Nov. I contacted Hilton CC only to find out that the maximum amount of points that I can receive is 100,000 for my entire stay because the limit is 100,000 per stay. I have spent way over 40,000 this year with the hotel. The CSA was less than helpful and the supervisor of the CSA was even worse. Has anyone else encountered this issue? Please advise. I am definitely planning to escalate. I have stayed at Marriott and Starwood and have never had the problems with posting more than 100,000 per stay. </font>
A couple points of clarification. I do travel home every weekend, but it is less expensive to remain checked in than checking in and out. After staying 90 days, you no longer pay hotel taxes on the room. If you check in and check out, you start over paying hotel taxes.
Old Nov 13, 2003, 2:16 pm
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

In your letter you should explain this, and note in passing that Hilton does not receive any less revenue due to this. If you have negotiated some super-low extended stay rate, explain that as well and compare it to other low rates which qualify for HHonors points.
Old Nov 13, 2003, 2:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by BellaLouise:
A couple points of clarification. I do travel home every weekend, but it is less expensive to remain checked in than checking in and out. After staying 90 days, you no longer pay hotel taxes on the room. If you check in and check out, you start over paying hotel taxes. </font>
Actually, from your first post this is what I assumed you were doing. I don't know why this is considered unusual.

I have done several 6+ month stays with Marriott via their Execustay office. In big cities they can hook you up with a corporate apartment, but a couple of times they've simply worked with local Marriotts to secure long-term rates.

In all cases (whether apartment or Residence Inn), the monthly rate, length of stay, reward points earned, elite status earned, cancellation terms, and other benefits are agreed upon up front.

Typically I got 3 MR pts./dollar and was given MR Gold status if I didn't already have it. Billing was monthly, points posted quarterly.

Although this sounds like a raw deal compared to super-Diamond/Platinum status and 15.5-17.5 pts./dollar you'd get at a hotel, I was always much happier to be in an apartment than a hotel. Even when I was getting Residence Inns, I was getting them at about $1900/month ($60-65/nt.) so I wasn't about to complain.
Old Nov 14, 2003, 3:43 pm

If they swiped your credit card every few weeks or so then have them actrually check you out. Their only recourse is, if you never checked out then tell them the points or I may not be able to pay you.
Old Nov 17, 2003, 5:23 pm

Bella Luise: it sounds like after 91 days you could check out for the weekend when you go home and preserve your no tax status and then after the weekend check back new.
Is that a partial but pretty good solution getting you around 400,000 points?
Old Nov 18, 2003, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
The way I read it, the taxes stop at day 91 so checking out on the 91st day wouldn't work.
Old Nov 18, 2003, 10:49 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by best:
Bella Luise: it sounds like after 91 days you could check out for the weekend when you go home and preserve your no tax status and then after the weekend check back new.
Is that a partial but pretty good solution getting you around 400,000 points?
</font>
Once you check out. You start over again. Taxes would then be paid on the new check in stay. This is considered a new stay.
Old Dec 20, 2003, 11:35 pm

Programs: AC MM
Hmmm - seems like kind of a dumb oversight on the part of the hotel staff.

I often stay for months at a time at Hiltons - have over 200 nights this year. The staff at the hotel I frequent will check me out (without even telling me) then check me back in again to avoid this 100,000 point problem. I discovered this when looking at one of my bills, I had a 'breakfast charge' that was the same price as the room rate. I asked, and the front desk manager told me that they checked me out for a day to avoid 'complications' with the HHonors program. At the time, I didn't know what they were talking about, but after reading this thread, now I know.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.