Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Berlin {DEU}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2003, 1:52 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ironmanjt:
I guess any property can have a bad day - espeically over a holiday.</font>
Because of the New Years Party at Brandenburger Tor (gate), which join hundrets of thousends coming from all over Germany, this time might be a bit out of control for a doorman. If he is not so good trained (and maybe not the main staff), it must be a disaster than.
I experienced often in Germany, as well at *wood, not so good trained staff at the weekends. A low weekend-rate is a must for this inconvenience!

I wonder what happens at Berlins best hotel Adlon at this time. Years ago I red in the newspaper, the hall was used for giving medical help.

[This message has been edited by JR-Flyer (edited 08-26-2003).]
Old Aug 26, 2003, 7:43 pm

luv, luv, luv this hotel!!!
Old Aug 27, 2003, 7:39 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JR-Flyer:
Because of the New Years Party at Brandenburger Tor (gate), which join hundrets of thousends coming from all over Germany, this time might be a bit out of control for a doorman. If he is not so good trained (and maybe not the main staff), it must be a disaster than. </font>
Right, I know the city was more than a bit crazy that weekend. However, they were having some sort of a private party in the hotel lobby all night, which led to amusingly drunk adults in tuxes screaming in the hallways, etc.

Personally, I think if they're going to host a large even like that, they should be letting other guests know.

Old Jun 7, 2004, 5:52 pm

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
Am in the Hilton Berlin right now. As a Diamond, was given a "room with a view to the Dome" on the 4th floor. I went to check it out. Nice 0.375 l bottle of Chateau Lafitte as an amenity, but the executive floor is on the 6th. After going to a late dinner, I came back and politely asked what their policy with regards to upgrades to the executive floor was (after calling before and asking if there were rooms on the exec. floor available ). The lady told me that a room with a view to the Dome is an upgrade, so I mentioned that Diamonds always get upgraded to the exec. floor if there is availability. She said that this room is just like the exec. floor rooms, but she thought it was better than the rooms available there tonight due to the Dome view. I have not seen the exec. floor rooms, so I don't know if that is true, perhaps someone who has seen both could confirm that. Anyway, I did not argue, I said that I was just interested to understand the hotel's policy since I will have the choice between Hilton and Westin for the stays I will alternate with Hyatt the next few months.

Coming back the day after tomorrow, then I will check out the lounge and the exec. floor.

The Gendarmenplatz looks quite nice at night, indeed.
Old Jun 8, 2004, 3:53 pm

Programs: UA 2P (will be 0P next yr), HH Diamond (thank you Surpass Card!)
I was upgraded to the executive floor (as a Gold) on my stay. However, the room faced the inner area rather than out toward the Gendarmenmarkt. The room was very nice but quite small (in the normal European fashion), so I would say it wasn't anything spectacular, other than being close to the executive lounge - although I have to preface that by saying that I have not seen the rooms on the other floors. If they are the same, then I would definitely have been happier having a great view out my window and making the trek up a couple of floors to the lounge.
Old Jun 8, 2004, 4:23 pm

Programs: LH SEN, Hilton Diamond, AF/KL & BA basic memberships, Tufty Club Exec Plutonium
Having stayed as a Gold and a Silver at the Berlin Hilton, I can confirm that the rooms are the same.

I hope I get my upgrade for my stay on New Years Eve 2004!
Old Jun 8, 2004, 4:32 pm

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
Checked out the lounge today for breakfast, quite nice, and with more than just a continental breakfast offering. Nice view from the lounge, it is kind of small and cozy overall. Would like to test one of their suites, but I have a feeling that most German hotels seem to be extremely stingy with suite upgrades, even to guests who are in their loyalty program's top tier.

Overall, I'd rate the Hilton a notch below the Hyatt, but still a very nice hotel.

P.S.: Thanks iain and jassy .
Old Jun 14, 2004, 9:50 am

Just an update, I asked them, and they said they make absolutely no difference between Golds and Diamonds. Also, they insist that a room with a view to the Dome is an upgrade. When I asked them if they ever upgrade Diamonds to a Suite, they said it might happen in exceptional circumstances (i.e., when all other rooms are full).

I think I'll give the Westin Grand a try next week.

Last edited by Football Fan; Jun 15, 2004 at 2:58 am
Old Jun 14, 2004, 5:46 pm

Programs: UA 2P (will be 0P next yr), HH Diamond (thank you Surpass Card!)
Originally Posted by attorney28
Just an update, I asked them, and they said they make absolutely no difference between Golds and Diamonds.
Well, it sounds to me as though they DO in fact make at least some distinction between Golds and Diamonds -- the Diamonds get view rooms and the Golds do not.
Old Jun 15, 2004, 5:52 pm

Alright, another update, I am back here again.

The only thing that is consistent here is that I have never been upgraded to the executive floor as a Diamond in four stays by now. For my previous stays, at least I got a (small) bottle of wine and some cookies in the room as an amenity - not this time. Other differences to the Hyatt in Berlin:
- The staff at Hyatt seems a notch friendlier and better trained than the staff here at the Hilton. I cannot pin it down to one incident, it is just my overall impression.
- The rooms at Hyatt (at least on the exec. floor, to which I have been upgraded every single time without an exception there) are better/more modern than the Hilton rooms.
- Benefits at Hyatt (fruit, cookies, water in the room, newspaper in the morning) are provided on a consistent basis. At the Hilton, it seems to be hit-and-miss - I never received a newspaper, never received water in the room either. Also, no word of being able to use the lounge when checking in tonight, even though no room on the executive floor was given. And that was after I had already called them and explicitly asked to be put on the executive floor.
- At the Hyatt, I ONCE told them how I want my bill to look (full company name on it), and it's automatically right every time.
- At Hilton, I have to CORRECT the bill EVERY SINGLE TIME, even though I state the request in my profile, as a remark in the reservation and when checking in.

My company would most probably be one of the top clients at the Hilton if everyone stayed here on a consistent basis, which some of us did a few years ago (I believe we must be one of the top Hyatt customers). People switched over to the Hyatt because of the aforementioned reasons and because they are being treated like royalty over there. Here, it is the same little bothersome things every single time (bill, no consistent upgrading, no consistent amenities, even for Diamonds). No wonder almost everyone from my company decided not to stay here anymore.

Don't get me wrong, it is still a GOOD hotel. But the difference between Hyatt Berlin and Hilton Berlin (at comparable rates) goes to show how good management and pampering your top customers can go a long way towards building loyalty and towards making the difference from a GOOD hotel to a GREAT hotel, whereas sloppy management will make you lose business.
Old Jun 16, 2004, 1:54 am

Last update: They missed the time for the wake-up call by half an hour, so that I had no time for breakfast and came in late for a meeting today. A water I took from the minibar was charged despite the fact that no water or anything was provided as a Diamond amenity.
Old Jun 30, 2004, 2:52 am

We just returned from a pleasant stay at the Berlin Hilton.

Room was upgraded to a 'Dome View Room" on 3rd floor (as HH Gold), and the view was really fantastic. We were confirmed (after asking) to use the Executive Lounge at any time, and the lounge is small but very good. The (free) breakfast we had downstairs in the main restaurant with a much wider selection of hot and cold dishes.

Staff is friendly and helpful. A nice hotel.
Old Jun 30, 2004, 5:12 am

I stayed there again a couple of times. I got upgraded to the exec. floor now, after I told them I don't care all that much about the view (it is very nice, but I am staying there for business and don't have so much time or the mood to enjoy the view). Instead, I wanted a room close to the lounge, because that is more convenient for a quick breakfast and checkout. I still wonder if I will ever get to check out one of their suites .
Old Aug 9, 2004, 8:34 am

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Plat, SPG Gold
Angry Poor experience at Berlin Hilton: nice people, poor processes

This past weekend, I had booked a quick weekend holiday to Berlin, and was staying in the Berlin Hilton. I booked a "Weekend in Style" rate with a "King Hilton Guest Room" reserved.

I made the reservation on hilton.com, it showed up in my "Hilton Travel Planner," and had my Diamond VIP # on it. The night before I left for Berlin, I even called the Diamond desk (on advice of a fellow FT'er!) to ensure that all of my upcoming reservations were "updated" to reflect my Diamond status (she gave an all too quick 'yes' which made me think she hadn't really done/looked at anything).

When I arrived at the hotel, the gentleman at the reception pulled my form and handed it to me to fill out (the only thing pre-printed was my name), which was odd, since typically everything is filled out for me, and I just have to sign. I asked if my Hilton HHonors number was on the reservation, he said it was not, and asked if I had my card. I explained that I did, but I only had my Silver card, as I hadn't recieved my Gold or Diamond one yet (seem to be earning status faster than Hilton can print cards, grr). We completed the check-in process, he didn't indicate that any upgrades were given or speak of the executive lounge. I headed up to my room (which was a hike, since it was the absolute farthest room from the elevator possible), walked in, and it was microscopic, with a twin bed.

I found my reservation confirmation print-out (with my king room on it), and marched back down to the guest services manager and explained the situation. He said the hotel was completely full, and that there was nothing he could do for me that night, as there were no other single-occupancy guests checking in, and they could not put two people in the room I was given (hell, you could barely get ONE person in there!). He offered to have me upgraded to a suite for the second night of my stay. I asked about my Hilton HHonors on the reservation, and he said he saw a silver # on there, which I said was probably due to me showing the front desk attendant a silver card.

The second night, I did get moved to a decent Junior Suite (though I was hoping for their screwups, I would get an actual suite).

While the upgrade on the second night was nice, and I understand there was nothing he could do for the first, I still don't feel like I received what I was paying for, and after living in hotels for the last few months, being stuck in a twin bed was about the last thing I need. I keep having this problem with Hilton, the people are friendly and helpful, but they seem to have system and process problems. Perhaps it's becauce I've been achieving status "too fast," but I have extremely poor results when I check in with them having the correct status represented.

I plan to write Hilton about this, but was interested in the opinion of other FT'ers.

Chris
Old Aug 9, 2004, 8:54 am

Programs: Delta Diamond; Hilton Diamond; Accor Gold
Sorry about your troubles. I used to get short changed like that in the transition period between Gold to Diamond. Life does get better after that!

The front desk agent obviously did not listen to you. Did you bring a copy of their website with your status on it? That has been known to help in the past.

Any comments about the Hotel? I'll be there in a few months.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.