Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Why can't two Honors accounts share the same e-mail address?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2016, 4:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others

Sorry if this has been asked before - I searched 'email address' and 'e-mail address' without finding a similar query.

My wife and I are both HHonors Diamond, with separate HHonors accounts. However both for convenience and my superior knowledge of all things HHonors related () I handle all our hotel reservations. If I try and add the e-mail address registered to my account to my wife's account I get the message - 'Sorry, that email address is already registered. Enter a different one and try again'.

Is there something in US law that explains this issue? By way of comparison I have a British Airways Executive Club household account with seven family members - I am able to use the same e-mail address for all seven individual accounts: it makes life a lot easier when coordinating reservations.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 4:34 am

If Gmail, add a '.' in the address.

[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

All go to the same inbox.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 4:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Or:

[email protected]Or just open a new email, and auto forward all emails.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 4:38 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Simple IT. Are you able to log in to your account by entering an email instead of a number? Then there you go, it needs to uniquely identify an account. Also as a basic means of ensuring people don't register multiple accounts.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 6:38 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Simple IT. Are you able to log in to your account by entering an email instead of a number? Then there you go, it needs to uniquely identify an account. Also as a basic means of ensuring people don't register multiple accounts.
And also idf an indexed key field value in a database. Needs to be unique

nb
I used to have KLM for both me anf girlfriend on same email. Signon later enabled for email-id along side 9x numeric NNNNNNNNN member number, and of course could not use as not unique as shred to both accts
Old Oct 27, 2016, 1:44 am

Programs: Accor Plus Plat, Marriot Plat, AF Silver
Originally Posted by shadowline
If Gmail, add a '.' in the address.

[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

All go to the same inbox.
Wow.... I learn something useful everyday, thanks!

Anything after + will also be stripped: [email protected] and [email protected] would work just as fine.

Julien
Old Oct 27, 2016, 5:09 am

Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer
I have a British Airways Executive Club household account with seven family members - I am able to use the same e-mail address for all seven individual accounts: it makes life a lot easier when coordinating reservations.
Just out of interest, what happens when you try to log in to BAEC using this "master" email address? Which of the seven unique passwords do you use?

You can login with the following

Your Executive Club membership number and your PIN/password
Your username and password
Your registered email address and password
(https://www.britishairways.com/trave...p/public/en_gb)
Old Oct 27, 2016, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by shorthauldad

Just out of interest, what happens when you try to log in to BAEC using this "master" email address? Which of the seven unique passwords do you use?
For our BAEC household account there are seven unique 8-digit membership numbers - I use these (not the 'master' e-mail address) to log in to each individual account - all of which have the same password. However BA has no problem sending e-mails for each of the seven members to the same e-mail address - making for far easier management of accounts and flight arrangements.

Ditto HHonors, my wife and I use our 9-digit membership numbers (not an e-mail address) to log in to each account. Hence my initial enquiry.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 7:49 am

For our BAEC household account there are seven unique 8-digit membership numbers (...)
Right, but what actually happens if you try and sign in with your "master" email?

What would happen if you tried to reset the password on a BAEC account (http://www.britishairways.com/travel...s/public/en_gb) by entering the master email address?

Sharing identities on one email address is basically a can of worms.
Old Oct 29, 2016, 4:48 am
Original Poster

Sharing identities on one email address is basically a can of worms.
It seems as if BA (and, for that matter, UA) haven't got the message. Both of them allow multiple accounts to use the same e-mail address (I'm talking here about using e-mail addresses for communication, not for logging-in).

I repeat, for HHonors, BA (and UA) I never use the e-mail address as my sign-in ID; I use individual and unique hotel/airline membership numbers.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 2:56 am

I repeat, for [..] BA [..] I never use the e-mail address as my sign-in ID;
What would happen if you were to try and sign in with your email, though?

Ditto w/ account password reset...
Old Nov 12, 2016, 5:12 am
Original Poster

What would happen if you were to try and sign in with your email, though?

Ditto w/ account password reset...
In the interests of research I've just tried to reset a BA account password using an e-mail address to log in - and I received an e-mail for one of the seven members of the BA Household Accounts (HHA) of which I am the head. Not mine, but the most recently-added member.

But then again, I always sign into my BA, UA and HHonors accounts with individual membership numbers; unlike e-mail addresses (at least in the case of BA and UA), individual membership numbers are unique.

So maybe I should re-phrase my original question - why do BA and UA allow multiple members to use the same e-mail address, while HHonors does not?
Old Nov 12, 2016, 6:25 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
I have a similar problem with the IHG program. They let me put the same email address in for by my wife and I, but once I added the same email for my wife's account, I could no longer use my email address to login. So now I have to use each of our account numbers to login with and of course I haven't memorized both sets of account numbers. So its a bit of a pain to login.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 2:09 pm

So maybe I should re-phrase my original question - why do BA and UA allow multiple members to use the same e-mail address, while HHonors does not?
Slight tweak: "Why do BA and UA allow multiple members to use the same e-mail address, while almost every other website with a membership function on the planet does not?"

At this point the question needs to be directed to BA and/or UA, not Hilton
Old Nov 12, 2016, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In the interests of research I've just tried to reset a BA account password using an e-mail address to log in - and I received an e-mail for one of the seven members of the BA Household Accounts (HHA) of which I am the head. Not mine, but the most recently-added member.

But then again, I always sign into my BA, UA and HHonors accounts with individual membership numbers; unlike e-mail addresses (at least in the case of BA and UA), individual membership numbers are unique.

For the same reason that IHG still uses a PIN. Because each company is independent, and each makes IT decisions independently. Hilton just went from PINs to passwords only in the past year or so, and maybe they thought it through more. BA and UA went from PINs to passwords earlier, and perhaps they didn't have as much foresight at the time to see the password-reset loophole (or the "forgot my membership number" loophole) with multiple accounts using the same emails.

Keep in mind what a difference of a year or two makes with respect this. Several major breaches where email addresses were stolen happened between the times that BA and UA changed their login procedures and when Hilton changed its login procedures.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.