Wiki Posts
Search

car keyed at hampton inn-WWYD?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2016, 1:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond
car keyed at hampton inn-WWYD?

I was parked in the diamond elite spot the other nite in AL and when I came out my car was keyed--I have UTK plates on my car so you never know.
My boss made me go in and tell the front desk, but I dont see how they can have any responsibility in this, you do park at your own risk.
They called me yesterday to tell me they did get a man on surveillance who keyed a bunch of cars but they cannot identify him.
Has this happened to anyone else? Again, I dont see what they can do for me.
sad how people have to do things like this though.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 1:45 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
Other than provide the video to police, not sure what else they can do.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 1:52 pm

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Have your talked to your insurance company -- this would be covered by your comprehensive coverage.

Also, what is UTK ?

Bob H
Old Aug 24, 2016, 1:58 pm

Programs: MR/SPG Plat, HH Gold, DL PM
What is UTK, since you appear to point it out as a possible contributing factor? Are you a Volunteer, and suggesting it was done by someone at a rival school? Might be good to go ahead and clear that up.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 2:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
UT-Knoxville?

If a bunch of cars got keyed, it probably didn't have anything to do with that.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 2:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If you are asking whether cars are vandalized elsewhere, the answer is yes.

Report it to the police and, if the damage is sufficient to make the claim worthwhile considering your deductible and any impact the claim may have on your premiums, report it to your insurance company.

Or, live with the damage.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BobH
Have your talked to your insurance company -- this would be covered by your comprehensive coverage.

Also, what is UTK ?

Bob H
university of tennessee knoxville
Old Aug 24, 2016, 3:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mcgahat
Other than provide the video to police, not sure what else they can do.

yep thats what I thought. i wouldnt even have told them except my boss was very insistent I do so.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 3:23 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles, MR, HH, ICH/PC, Avis Pref., Hertz Gold
You should report it to the front desk because the hotel needs to know this is happening to their guests. You should report it to the police because they need to track crime (even if it is just vandalism) and so you will have a police report to substantiate any insurance claim.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Yes, absolutely report it to the property. If they do have surveillance, they may be able to pull a copy for the police or your insurance. Otherwise, it may age off before a request is made. They may step up their monitoring and catch the perp next time, or chase them off before doing the entire lot.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 8:26 am

Programs: Delta Diamond (MM), Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
This is more of a rental car thread than a Hampton/Hilton thread. Hampton had/has nothing to do with this.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by bonoman
This is more of a rental car thread than a Hampton/Hilton thread. Hampton had/has nothing to do with this.
Really? Seems to me that I'd like to know which property this is -- if there's someone keying cars parked there, I might want to stay elsewhere. I'm not blaming the property necessarily -- if it's an ongoing problem and they aren't doing anything about it, I would -- but I don't think the information here is irrelevant to this forum.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 9:17 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bonoman
Given that the OP appeared to be driving his personal car, probably NOT a rental car thread

If it were to move anywhere, I would suggest TravelBuzz since it's not specific to Hilton/Hampton Inn, but could happen in any hotel lot (or shopping center or office complex or airport parking or...)
Old Aug 25, 2016, 11:37 am

Programs: Delta Diamond (MM), Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by gobluetwo
Given that the OP appeared to be driving his personal car, probably NOT a rental car thread

If it were to move anywhere, I would suggest TravelBuzz since it's not specific to Hilton/Hampton Inn, but could happen in any hotel lot (or shopping center or office complex or airport parking or...)
Hahaha, good point. Suppose it doesn't even belong on FT then.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by zachary
Really? Seems to me that I'd like to know which property this is -- if there's someone keying cars parked there, I might want to stay elsewhere. I'm not blaming the property necessarily -- if it's an ongoing problem and they aren't doing anything about it, I would -- but I don't think the information here is irrelevant to this forum.
The OP smartly never identified the property. It seems to be a random bit of vandalism that truly could have happened anywhere. It's not uncommon for cars to be broken into in hotel parking lots, as people tend to leave a lot of stuff in their vehicles and only bring in what they need.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.