Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2015] DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Hawaii, USA {US-HI}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2015] DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Hawaii, USA {US-HI}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 1998, 1:46 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Arrow [ARCHIVE to 2015] DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Hawaii, USA {US-HI}

Which is the best hotel to stay at as part of the Aloha Spirit reward?? Which is in the best location, best facilities, etc. The Waikoloa Village looks the best resort, but is on the big island. Does this matter ??
Old Dec 10, 1998, 7:39 pm
Original Member

I went to the Waikoloa Village once for dinner. I stayed at the Sheraton Orchiad at Mauna Lani instead. I wanted to do the aloha spirit package during that vacation but I guess it was one of those blackout periods.

Anyway, let me just say that that resort is huge. Its kinda like Disneyland. It has a tram that takes you from one end to the other (and makes 3 stops). Anyway as far as the big island goes... the island is not as lush as some of the other islands. The beaches are not as pretty as some of the islands either mostly because the island is fairly new (from the active volcanoes) compared to the other islands. So there is a lot of lava rocks and such all over the island. But its still a great place to visit and spend a week. It was one of the most relaxing vacations I've ever had. Theres plenty of things to do and see. If you have a chance you must go to Roys and Cafe Pesto (the greatest gourmet pizza anywhere) and if youre a beer lover, you must visit the Kona Brewing Company. Theres a tasting room where you can pretty much sit down and drink free beer an hour.

You'll love seeing the volcanoes, visting the beaches , seeing all the sea life, and much more. Its a great place to vacation. Hope this helps.
Old Mar 6, 1999, 5:37 pm

Arrow DISCUSSION for Hilton HHonors Hotels in Hawaii, USA {US-HI}

I want to book the VIP Only Aloha Spirit Award - 6 nights w/rt air for 2 (for 260,000 points + 20,000 point discount coupon).

I tried to book the Hilton Waikoloa Village in August 1999, but was told that the award rooms go one year in advance. The Hilton rep confirmed that the first available six nights was Feb 26, 2000. She didin't actually check all dates but just a sample of several different months.

My question is how am I supposed to take a reservation 1 year out when I'm not sure I'll get the air portion because the airlines don't usually book seats a full 365 days in advance?

Has anyone ever used this award? How far in advance did you have to make reservations?

Also, does anyone know if additional award rooms become available over time as the hotel determines booking levels? Should I just keep calling? Do you think I would do any better calling the Hhonors Service Center rather than 1-800-hhonors?

It would seem that I have been sucked in by their offer of this award -- I have transferred miles to Hilton so that I could take advantae of it. Now I find out it's almost impossible to use. Thanks Hilton.

Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated.
Old Mar 6, 1999, 6:50 pm
Original Member

Not to rub salt in an already open wound...but one rule of thumb is never to transfer points to any program until you get a confirmed reservation. Most hotel programs will allow you make reservations in advance without there being the actual points in your account.
I was unaware that the Hilton rooms disappeared so quickly, the last time I went to Hawaii I used Sheraton points and the rooms did not seem too hard to get 6 months in advance. Did you try any of the other Hilton properties in Hawaii?
Also, did you try to book just a GLOH vs the air inclusive package?
Finally, did you ask Hilton specifically about this issue? I'm curious what their response is....
Old Mar 6, 1999, 9:21 pm

gabbysz:

You are right, I should have checked first, but I was naive about it. The rep I spoke with implied that all three Hilton properties in Hawaii are booked up for award rooms a year in advance. Also, the exact award I use doesn't seem to matter, just the allocation of rooms available for any award. The way she explained it, I would reserve the room first through 1-800-hhonors, then call the service center to redeem the award and deal with the air portion.

They make such a big deal out of the VIP Only awards, half of which involve their three Hawaiian properties, they should feel some need to make sure that a sufficient suppy of rooms is allocated. Otherwise its just bait-and-switch.

I will take this issue up with the Hhonors service center, probably via email. I've usually been able to get more satisfaction with them online than on the phone.
Old Mar 7, 1999, 12:14 pm
Commander Catcop

Then I guess I am lucky.

I booked for the HIlton Hawaiian Village for the Party in Paradise in February. Did the reservation (as Gabby noted, always check if there's a room for you before doing any mile transfers! I learned that the hard way in my pre-F-T/Randy days.) I was lucky: getting a decent room (I'm only going to sleep there so I don't care about the view so much.)

But I remember the reservations agent telling me that the Hawaii properties are among the toughest to get award rooms for (as well as Paris, some of the Caribbean island and even to my surprise: NYC!)

------------------
CATMAN
Old Mar 8, 1999, 8:54 am
Original Member

DHacker, I would first try booking both the hotel and airline (get the booking codes from HHonors) before getting an award certificate. That way you'll know you'll get both before cashing in your points...I did this a couple years ago and had the same problem with the Conrad in London; needed to be booked a year in advance to get an award week; but the airline (booked with AA) was absolutely no problem. I had to cancel it since I could not get the hotel; doesn't say much for Hilton that their airline partners allocate a god number of seats for HHonors awards but Hilton doesn't allocate the rooms..Anyway, get the booking codes from Hilton, book both first and then worry about getting the certificate later..Good luck.
Old Mar 9, 1999, 7:45 am

Thanks for the input. I called Hilton back and it turns out the first rep I talked to was mistaken about the other two Hiltons in Hawaii. Only Waikoloa Village fills up a year ahead. I was able to make a reservation for August at the Turtle Bay Hilton on the north shore of Oahu. Has anyone been there? I'll be travelling with two small children and we are more interested in the beach, snorkeling, and scuba diving than we are golf or tennis.
Old Mar 9, 1999, 8:19 am
Original Member

dhacker:
I was at Turtle Bay last February and it was great. Rooms were large although a little worn. Great balcony. Only about an hours drive fron HNL. They offer a very good breakfast buffet. Lots of nice beach walking,
golf courses nearby, horse stables, etc. There's even a historical marker noting the
point where the Japanese planes flew over
on there way to Pearl. My wife and I had a great time and the Turtle Bay Hilton staff were
very accomodating.

------------------
Old Mar 9, 1999, 9:26 am
Original Member

dhacker--there is great snorkeling at Turtle Bay, at least there was a few years ago when we were there. Turtle bay is right on a nice cove that has great fish in it, which is protected from the surf, and should be great for kids. Enjoy it.
Old Mar 9, 1999, 3:27 pm
Original Member

dhacker,
First of all, do you hold any VIP status with Hilton? If so, I would suggest calling the hotel directly, and telling them that "you're a VIP member" and would like to check availability. I have had much success going directly through the hotel instead of the 800 number.
Another suggestion, this is what I do for a living. It is called Hilton HHonors RewardPlanner. I help HHonors members book vacations using their Hilton points or other frequent flyer miles. We definately know our way around all of the "junk" you'll get from calling around yourself. If you're interested or have any questions, please feel free to call us at 719-597-8886.
Good Luck!
Old Mar 10, 1999, 1:26 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
In early february, I made reservations for a 3 night award at the Hawaiian Villiage for the PIP in November. I wasn't expecting availability, but got the reservation right away...
Old Mar 11, 1999, 5:12 am
Original Member
Original Poster

I've been able to get reservations at both the Hawaiian village and Turtle bay about 6 months in advanced, but not Waikoloa. I tried to book Waikoloa a couple of weeks ago for a trip in late 2000, but was told that bookings can only be taken upto a year in advanced.

As a VIP member, you can get a full refund of points if you cancel a booking (excluding discount certs), 25USD if you are not VIP.

Tim
Old Mar 11, 1999, 12:11 pm
Original Member

This is really bad news. I am a bit surprised. Hey, I have been saving for HA.

I have read the description of Turtle Bay above, what and where are the other properties ??

Old Mar 11, 1999, 2:47 pm
Original Member

JGill,
There are two other properties in Hawaii.

The Hilton Hawaiian Village in on Oahu, right on Waikiki Beach, and very accessible to downtown Honolulu. It is a towers hotel, with a private lagoon and a one-acre supre pool.

The Hilton Waikoloa Village is on the big island of Hawaii, in Kailua-Kona. It is more of a family resort, with a private swimming lagoon that includes swimming with the dolphins. It is quite a large resort, that has much recreation to offer.

I would definately choose the Waikoloa out of all of these!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.