Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Bizarre Hilton website — HH points redemptions available but disappear after login

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bizarre Hilton website — HH points redemptions available but disappear after login

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2015, 6:57 pm
Original Poster

Not sure if this is due to a bug on the Hilton website. I searched for 2 nights at Hilton Tokyo for specific dates and 2 persons, and it shows there is a Hilton Twin room available for 50,000 points.

When I click on "Book" it prompts me to log in.

But after logging in, the redemption rate is "no longer available".

When I log out and do a search again, the same room goes back to being available for redemption at 50,000 points.

Seems I have no way to book the redemption after logging in. Is Hilton blocking redemption availability for specific members? FWIW, I am Diamond.

Anyone had the same experience?
Old Oct 10, 2015, 7:00 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
It's the weekend. It's likely HHonors crackerjack, uber-compentent IT team at work again. All kinds of frustrating stuff happens virtually every weekend with the website.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Do you have enough points to book the room? Hilton regularly shows rooms as available before people log in but if they do not have enough points available it won't show the room after they log in. The other common problem is that the rooms available for points may be accessible rooms -- you will need to check/uncheck the box to show the accessible rooms.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 9:29 pm

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, Hyatt - Platinum
There's definitely maintenance happening this weekend - I saw this alert when I tried to log in a few minutes ago...

Parts of our website, reservation and customer systems will be offline between 12:00 AM CST and 6:00 AM CST Sunday, October 11 for planned maintenance.

During this time customers (including mobile customers) may be unable to perform the following activities:

Login to their HHonors account/View Account information
Enroll in the HHonors program
Redeem Points
Use digital check-in
Check rates or search for room availability
Book Reservations

We apologize for the inconvenience.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 9:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Oddly enough I noticed the exact same problem with the same hotel last night. Showed up a room for 50k before logging in, and when I then logged in suddenly the rate was over 100K.

Logged out and it was still over 100K, so I put it down to stale inventory - and then I realized that I was searching the wrong date anyway (for all of the searches) so I didn't take it any further.

This was yesterday, so in my case it was definitely unrelated to their usual weekend maintenance.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 11:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
Do you have enough points to book the room? Hilton regularly shows rooms as available before people log in but if they do not have enough points available it won't show the room after they log in.
This is so stupid but may explain the scenario I just faced. Surely people can buy additional points to top up, even if they may not have enough at the time of logging in?
Old Oct 10, 2015, 11:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cblaisd
It's the weekend. It's likely HHonors crackerjack, uber-compentent IT team at work again. All kinds of frustrating stuff happens virtually every weekend with the website.
Today when I tried to log in to book, there is a message that says "Due to technical difficulties, we cannot access customer profiles at this time. If you are attempting to book a reservation you may continue without signing in. Please add your HHonors account number on the guest informaton page."

But there seems to be NO WAY of booking a reservation without first logging in... the website is almost looping me in a constant twilight zone setting!
Old Oct 11, 2015, 7:13 am

I'm having problems not with no availability, but it is giving me weird points amounts. I'm looking to stay in Shanghai for 2 nights and the Hilton is coming up at a (very strange) 83,370 points per night. That is pretty high for a Cat 6 hotel and I know I didn't pay that last year!

I'm also still a Diamond. I've seen no availability in the past and had to contact Diamond Desk, but never this.

I'm just exploring and flying early out of SHA, so being right on Line 2 is a good advantage of this hotel if I understand correctly. Maybe I'll try a different hotel. I really wanted to stay at the Peace and have a free night, but think that the 2nd night might be out of my budget .

Dr. PITUK
Old Oct 11, 2015, 1:52 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by painintheuk
I'm having problems not with no availability, but it is giving me weird points amounts. I'm looking to stay in Shanghai for 2 nights and the Hilton is coming up at a (very strange) 83,370 points per night. That is pretty high for a Cat 6 hotel and I know I didn't pay that last year!
If there is no standard award availability, then you can often redeem points for cash at a crappy rate to pay for the room, which is why you are seeing odd amounts.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm also still a Diamond. I've seen no availability in the past and had to contact Diamond Desk, but never this.

I'm just exploring and flying early out of SHA, so being right on Line 2 is a good advantage of this hotel if I understand correctly. Maybe I'll try a different hotel. I really wanted to stay at the Peace and have a free night, but think that the 2nd night might be out of my budget .

Dr. PITUK
If base rooms aren't available hilton.com will show you other rooms for a variable point amount.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/16555318-post6.html
You can search using flexible dates and points and see the lowest rate available over a range of dates.

Last edited by jerry a. laska; Oct 11, 2015 at 2:01 pm
Old Oct 11, 2015, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by carrotjuice
This is so stupid but may explain the scenario I just faced. Surely people can buy additional points to top up, even if they may not have enough at the time of logging in?
It's a common issue, sometimes hilton.com will show you points rooms including the points you need to purchase to book and other times it won't.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
If base rooms aren't available hilton.com will show you other rooms for a variable point amount.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/16555318-post6.html
You can search using flexible dates and points and see the lowest rate available over a range of dates.
OK, thanks. For some reason I thought Diamonds were able to avoid those crazy cash rates and always had access to standard rates. I guess I'll look for an SPG hotel or treat myself to the Fairmont .

Dr. PITUK
Old Oct 12, 2015, 4:01 am

The 50k per night is back today. It specifically shows up as a Diamond points rate, so perhaps there was a gremlin yesterday . I've booked it for now and may be there in less than 2 weeks - on my way home .

Dr. PITUK
Old Oct 12, 2015, 8:00 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
The 50k per night is back today. It specifically shows up as a Diamond points rate, so perhaps there was a gremlin yesterday .
Presuming you're logged in, they always seem to show as diamond points rates. Logout and you'll still probably see it, just with a non-diamond description.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 11:30 pm

Well, I just had exactly the opposite happen for this same hotel (Hilton Tokyo).

Search results showed that I would need "148,635 HHonors Points" for a room, but selecting the hotel showed a Twin Room available for 50,000 points.

Booked it without issue, so it wasn't a matter of phantom inventory.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.