Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Grand Vacations - potential new owners

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2015, 9:06 pm
Original Poster

Hi,
We did the sales pitch at Parc Soleil in Orlando and we think it's a potentially good fit for our family in the long run. After the initial debt is paid off, the yearly fees would certainly be less than our regular hotel bills (we typically take a week vacation, and would need the 1-bdr. We got the Platinum 4600 points at Seaworld, every second year, approx $17k) and we'd get quality hotel rooms at places we haven't been or ones near Disney, for example, with the affiliated locations.

We're just wondering how people like the system, ease of booking affiliated locations, carrying over points, transferring them to HHIlton points if unused, etc.

One question that hadn't been answered was the price - they seemed to pluck it from mid-air for the plat - 1bedroom. Makes sense I think but found it strange the first time I saw the price was when the finance guy was doing up the monthly charges.

our 10 days isn't up yet and we're still second guessing ourselves. The conversion of unused points at 25 per point to HHonors doesn't really seem worth it (4600x25 might get us 3 nights at a low traffic city -- 40,000 pts/night)

Anyone ever sell their property back to Hilton?

thanks all!!

I should say that we're from Canada. Major obstacle in our minds, too, is that we'd need to fly to any of the resorts. We just started travelling with our young kids, so haven't gotten in a routine of flying too many places. Hopefully in time we'd do that more and maybe this would help with that, knowing we'd have a good place to stay?

Last edited by Caperguy; Aug 31, 2015 at 9:19 pm Reason: From Canada, points conversion
Old Aug 31, 2015, 9:17 pm

You might as well toss your money in a fireplace. This is absolutely the worst "investment" you can make...hence the huge numbers of timeshare owners who can't even give their shares away. Run, don't walk, away from this poor idea.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
As we often advise people, you will receive better responses on some of the time share forums. TUG is one of the best.
http://tugbbs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=52

Also see:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...n-clubs-3.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...ners-here.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...-property.html
Old Aug 31, 2015, 9:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by smmrfld
You might as well toss your money in a fireplace. This is absolutely the worst "investment" you can make...hence the huge numbers of timeshare owners who can't even give their shares away. Run, don't walk, away from this poor idea.
how is it such a bad idea? Please elaborate

And the timeshare is a different concept than other ones I've heard, such as it being points-based, and can use it at various locations at whatever time of the year we want.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 9:27 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Goto TUGBBS website and read up on this. Tons of content on Hiltons program and others. Bottom line, if you are interested in the concept of a timeshare, don't buy it at retail!! Plenty of ways to purchase the same via resale and fraction of the cost. Don't make any decision until you have read and studied from this site.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 9:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
thank you!
Old Aug 31, 2015, 9:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PortlySpartacus
Goto TUGBBS website and read up on this. Tons of content on Hiltons program and others. Bottom line, if you are interested in the concept of a timeshare, don't buy it at retail!! Plenty of ways to purchase the same via resale and fraction of the cost. Don't make any decision until you have read and studied from this site.
Problem is you had to sign up prior to leaving that day, and had an incentive... We're usually not spur of the moment people and like doing our research. I think we can back out before our 10 days is up, but lose our down payment. I will look at the other site, though.

thanks
Old Aug 31, 2015, 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by Caperguy
how is it such a bad idea? Please elaborate

And the timeshare is a different concept than other ones I've heard, such as it being points-based, and can use it at various locations at whatever time of the year we want.
Many other timeshare schemes have the same points system...nothing new here. Timeshares are a notoriously bad way to spend money...if you need any more convincing to keep you from making one of the poorest financial decisions of your life, just look at the number of listings on Craigslist and other venues by owners who are desperate to just give away their shares so they are relieved of the burden of massive and ever-increasing maintenance and other fees. Not many takers...for good reason. If you choose to go ahead with this poor choice, at least you were warned in advance that you are making a bad decision.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by Caperguy
Problem is you had to sign up prior to leaving that day, and had an incentive... We're usually not spur of the moment people and like doing our research. I think we can back out before our 10 days is up, but lose our down payment. I will look at the other site, though.

thanks
Your first mistake was believing the crap thrown at you by the sales shark...like "you had to sign up prior to leaving that day". A little research goes a long way, and it is glaringly missing in this story.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by smmrfld
Your first mistake was believing the crap thrown at you by the sales shark...like "you had to sign up prior to leaving that day". A little research goes a long way, and it is glaringly missing in this story.
I think that's an unnecessarily harsh/unfriendly response. However I'd say the OP needs to look at the price of buying these HGVC rooms on a nightly basis and my experience is that you can often get bargains as they try to shift unsold inventory. Put this against investing the $17k at a sensible return plus the annual fees and you start to get a bette picture.

We bought a points-based timeshare with Disney. Paid a bit less than this and get one week every two years in a good 1br in the Bay Lake Tower (probably 6 nights at Easter, 8 in August), so the headline price quoted strikes me as expensive.

Given those Disney apartments are silly money - that's if they're even available for cash - then I could justify the outlay. They're also holding their value well as we're less than 10 years into a 50 year lease, but the resale costs are quite high plus as a UK resident I have the withholding tax to account for/navigate around.

It's not a free money/arbitrage situation - Hilton is a business, so they've most certainly done the calculations.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 7:46 am

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by PortlySpartacus
Best advice you'll get here. Here's the link to the TUG Hilton forum:

Rescind now, following the directions completely, and take your time. Rule #1 with timeshares: If you can't pay cash in full, you can't afford one. Rule #2: Buy resale and save a bundle. Rule #3: You can't think of timeshares as an investment like other real estate. Rule #4: Buying to trade for hotel points (Hilton, Marriott, Starwood) is a bad idea; the exchange ratio is horrendous.

I bought HGVC resale years ago; and if I gave it away today, I more than got my money's worth, including paying the annual maintenance fee.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 8:03 am

Programs: UA GOLD MM,WN CP A+list, HH Gold,MR LT Titanium
Originally Posted by linsj
Best advice you'll get here. Here's the link to the TUG Hilton forum:

Rescind now, following the directions completely, and take your time. Rule #1 with timeshares: If you can't pay cash in full, you can't afford one. Rule #2: Buy resale and save a bundle. Rule #3: You can't think of timeshares as an investment like other real estate. Rule #4: Buying to trade for hotel points (Hilton, Marriott, Starwood) is a bad idea; the exchange ratio is horrendous.

I bought HGVC resale years ago; and if I gave it away today, I more than got my money's worth, including paying the annual maintenance fee.
Great wisdom here. To the OP-you have acknowledged that you are second guessing yourself- your gut is confirming a probable costly mistake. If you choose to rescind-be careful to document everything
Old Sep 1, 2015, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
Hilton is a business, so they've most certainly done the calculations.
They certainly have, and the calculations are by no means in the consumer's favor.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 8:56 am

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, DL PM, Hertz President's Circle
Don't walk, but rather RUN from this costly mistake. If owning a time share is important to you and your family, purchase it in the resale market at a significant discount from the many people that can't wait to get rid of them as others have noted.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 9:06 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Choice Elite Platinum
My in-laws had a timeshare....and all 3 of their children said, "DON'T GIVE IT US."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.