HH gold - 2nd adult free.

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2015, 9:46 am
jxd
Original Poster

HH gold - 2nd adult free.

Hi guys,
Just a quick question.

Gold benefit gives 2nd adult free, so if I book a room with 3 adults, do I just pay for 2? As in do I book for 2 adults and email the hotel regarding the 3rd adult?

Or does it not work that way and I have to pay for all 3 adults?

I've searched for quite awhile and can't find any answers.

Thanks in advance!

Side note: the property I'm intending to stay in is the hilton phuket.
Old May 19, 2015, 10:52 am

Terms and conditions on web site are not clear in your case. You might be hard pressed to show up for a room you booked for 2 people and have 3 in your party. Have never attempted what you are considering. HH T&C section below mentions double, not triple occupancy:

"A second guest stays free in the Member's room on qualifying stays at hotels when there are additional charges for double occupancy. This benefit excludes stays at any hotel when the rate includes additional components (e.g., meals, activities, parking), or specialized rates (e.g. package rates, bed & breakfast rates) that are quoted as a per person or per room charge."
Old May 19, 2015, 11:06 am

Programs: QFF LTG , HHD
I'd expect to be denied though I have no experience. A third person is not a second person and I think it means the second of two not the second of three or more.
Old May 19, 2015, 11:18 am
jxd
Original Poster

Originally Posted by xooz
Terms and conditions on web site are not clear in your case. You might be hard pressed to show up for a room you booked for 2 people and have 3 in your party. Have never attempted what you are considering. HH T&C section below mentions double, not triple occupancy:

"A second guest stays free in the Member's room on qualifying stays at hotels when there are additional charges for double occupancy. This benefit excludes stays at any hotel when the rate includes additional components (e.g., meals, activities, parking), or specialized rates (e.g. package rates, bed & breakfast rates) that are quoted as a per person or per room charge."
Originally Posted by turtlemichael
I'd expect to be denied though I have no experience. A third person is not a second person and I think it means the second of two not the second of three or more.
That's the issue, the tnC is not clear.

What i am thinking is..

Guest 1 - Member
Guest 2 - (2nd guest free)
--------------------------
Guest 3 - Paying guest

So in this case i pay for 2 adults.

Can anyone clarify?
Old May 19, 2015, 11:57 am

Programs: UA Gold-1MM, Hhonors Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold
I would email/ask the hotel directly. Many rooms do not allow 3 in a room. I have often traveled with 3 adults in a room (always advised ahead of time) and have never been charged for the 3rd person (as a gold), but I have been denied 3 adults in a room (due to size/fire code, ect...) when trying to make the reservation. Each hotel may handle this differently.

Not sure if you are only concerned with the charge or whether you can have 3 in a room.
Old May 19, 2015, 5:37 pm

Do you need an extra bed for the 3rd person? If the room offers 2 x double beds, there is really no need to make a fuss out of it. Many times, my booking states 1 guest but I travel with my spouse. The only thing 3 guest might cost more than 2 is (besides extra water usage but that is relative) when the package involved breakfast or certain amenities. When that is the case, you will then need to pay for the 3rd guest.
Old May 19, 2015, 6:41 pm

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
Just call Hilton to make the reservation. The prices should not be any different than the website. This way you will know it has been booked correctly (or if it is not it will be Hilton's error).
Old May 19, 2015, 6:55 pm

Programs: Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Accor Gold, OW Emerald, SIXT Diamond
Just guessing, but you'd probably have to pay for :

1. Extra bed
2. 1 x Extra breakfast

If you don't need either of the above, I don't think the hotel would mind if you just listed 1 person in the room (just don't crowd the reception counter :P )
Old May 19, 2015, 9:28 pm

Does the second adult free for HH gold apply to award rooms as well? I can upgrade my award stay to Sea View at Hilton Dubrovnik for 486 points a night (70000 to 70486), if I select just one adult. That was be a nice upgrade for me.
Old May 20, 2015, 7:28 am

Programs: HH diamond
Originally Posted by wb411
Does the second adult free for HH gold apply to award rooms as well? I can upgrade my award stay to Sea View at Hilton Dubrovnik for 486 points a night (70000 to 70486), if I select just one adult. That was be a nice upgrade for me.
It does as long as the room can accommodate 2 ppl. If you are paying for a SINGLE room, i.e., maximum occupancy 1 person, then the answer is no. You can neither expect nor demand an upgrade just because you booked a single room. The room you book (and pay for) must be big enough for 2 people.
Old May 20, 2015, 9:04 am
jxd
Original Poster

The hilton phuket allows 3 in a room; but there is an extra charge of $50/night..
Old May 20, 2015, 11:58 am

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Maybe I'm missing something. Why wouldn't you just see what the room rate is online when you put "2" for adults and do the same thing for "3" adults? If the rate is the same then you are all set. If it's not then you know you need to pay for the 3rd person.
Old May 20, 2015, 3:06 pm
jxd
Original Poster

Originally Posted by justhere
Maybe I'm missing something. Why wouldn't you just see what the room rate is online when you put "2" for adults and do the same thing for "3" adults? If the rate is the same then you are all set. If it's not then you know you need to pay for the 3rd person.
Based on my past experiences, for the hhonors gold benefit 2nd guest free, you book as 1 adult and email the hotel informing them about the second guest.
Old May 20, 2015, 4:25 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by jxd
Based on my past experiences, for the hhonors gold benefit 2nd guest free, you book as 1 adult and email the hotel informing them about the second guest.
Maybe that's what I'm missing. I think though it might depend on the hotel as some show the same rate when booking for 2 people as they do for 1 even when not signed into my HH account.
Old May 20, 2015, 6:57 pm

Programs: A3, AA, AC, AS, DL, NH, SQ, SK, UA; BW, CP, HH, IHG, MB
My personal understanding is that if there's a rate difference between single vs double occupancy, you only pay the single rate (I think all HH tiers get this benefit though). IME, the single/double rates are almost always the same in North America, whereas they often differ in Europe and Asia, even when there's no meal component involved.

I don't think the 2nd guest free applies to double vs triple occupancy, but then again, I've no experience in the matter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.