Wiki Posts
Search

More Diamond complaint issues

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2015, 9:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest, Hilton
More Diamond complaint issues

We have been Diamond members a long time. Last night I made a reservation for the San Diego Hilton. My husband needed to get back one night earlier. The reservation rep said that the rate would go up for all the nights if he left one day earlier. No one is helping me. This is the third issue that I have had in the past three Hilton stays. What is wrong? Diamond means nothing anymore to Hilton? Did someone buy them out. Should I switch to SPG instead. Thanks.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 12:49 pm

I'm confused. It was never a Diamond benefit to be able to change your reservations and not incur a rate change if the room rates have gone up.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

It's like this. I buy 5 oranges for five dollars and return one and they give me a dollar back. Instead, I return the orange and they want two dollars to take it back. That does not make any sense to me. This has never happened to me.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 12:58 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by mphall
The reservation rep said that the rate would go up for all the nights if he left one day earlier. No one is helping me.
Take a look at the fine print the next time you make a reservation:
Any change to the arrival date, departure date or room type of this reservation is subject to the hotel's availability at the time the change is requested and may result in a possible rate change or an additional fee.
This practice is standard for the industry and your Diamond status is irrelevant. Some properties might allow you to keep the same rate as a favor, but they are in no way obligated to.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 1:03 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
When I've had this scenario, I've had the most luck simply changing when I got there, on say, the second day of a four day stay. I tell the desk clerk that my plans have changed and I need to check out on x instead of y and I've never been up-charged.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

You know, if I was just a one time Hilton user, I would understand. But I favor Hilton brands whenever I travel. There was an 8 hour difference in the reservation time. I needed to cut one night out. I don't see how the rate goes up. Maybe if I added more nights. There are few brands that I patronize relentlessly over the years. Lexus, Apple and Hilton and surpised, even ATT. I expected a little more. Not a lot, just a little more. Delta used to be wonderful as well. The world has gone down the tubes and its because customers don't expect anything anymore. We work hard for our money and patronize these companies because we think at times it will pay off. However, my last three Hilton experiences have lead me to believe that perhaps my loyalty is misguided. Your comments are coming from someone who doesn't work as hard as I do to expect more. Hilton wants me to patronize them more with relentless surveys and customer service people but when the chips are down, I want it fixed. The economy has damaged all of us but now that things are getting a little better, do we still live with the poor service and poor product quality from the last 7-8 years. I don't think so and it's not right.
There are other hotels in San Diego and I am happy to spend my dollars elsewhere. Thank you for your comments.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 1:11 pm

Programs: HHonors (Diamond), Marriott (Gold), United (Gold - MM), American (Platinum), National (Executive)
Originally Posted by MS02113
Take a look at the fine print the next time you make a reservation:

This practice is standard for the industry and your Diamond status is irrelevant. Some properties might allow you to keep the same rate as a favor, but they are in no way obligated to.
It may be standard for the industry but over the past 7+ years that I have been Diamond whenever I had to do this (and it has happened numerous times) The Diamond desk worked its magic and the existing rate was kept . That said during the same time period I can remember having other issues only 3 or 4 times that weren't corrected and in 2 of those cases it was the Hilton San Diego Gas Lamp (Not sure if that's where the other issue happened but it sounds familiar)
Old Apr 16, 2015, 1:17 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
You need to look at the rate for each individual night. Say the rate is $150 per night for the first 4 nights ($600) and only $100 for the last night. Total is $700 or an AVERAGE rate of $140 per night. If you cancel the last night, then the AVERAGE rate should be $150 per night. Remember that many times you are quoted an AVERAGE rate for the entire stay.

I am not saying this is absolutely the case, but it is something you should look at.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

The rate is the same for all the nights originally requested. Thank you.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by cblaisd
When I've had this scenario, I've had the most luck simply changing when I got there, on say, the second day of a four day stay. I tell the desk clerk that my plans have changed and I need to check out on x instead of y and I've never been up-charged.
@:-)
Old Apr 16, 2015, 1:47 pm

Programs: AA LifeTime PLT (2.982 MM, But 3MM+ Total), HHonors GOLD, IHG AMB
It's like this. I buy 5 oranges for five dollars and return one and they give me a dollar back. Instead, I return the orange and they want two dollars to take it back. That does not make any sense to me. This has never happened to me.
No, it's more like this. You buy 5 oranges in the UK, you try and take them to the US, you realize that the US doesn't allow fruits and vegetables to pass customs and border control, but you had a chance to dispose them in the hazard bucket before arriving at Passport inspection and didn't, now you are fined.

You're contacting a reservations rep with just a computer and talking points of Terms & Agreements. Contact the hotel directly and see what they say----they have more swing. ^

Plus you could cancel your reservation and book a night somewhere else (if the rate can be cancelled without penalty).
Old Apr 16, 2015, 1:56 pm

We have been Diamond members a long time. Last night I made a reservation for the San Diego Hilton. My husband needed to get back one night earlier. The reservation rep said that the rate would go up for all the nights if he left one day earlier.
Thought experiment: your husband leaves one day early, but doesn't tell the hotel. Leaves the room key in the room and the Do Not Disturb on the door. On the day he was originally due to check out, he calls the hotel (from home) and asks them to check him out of room XYZ as he had to leave very early that morning due to a change in plans.

I'd never do this myself <cough> but I've heard it works just fine...

You could forgive customers for being less than honest with Hilton when Hilton are less than honest with customers.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Yes, one might expect special consideration given the volume of business. However, many hotels are franchises and therefore a bunch of small businesses. IF you are considered a HVC with the franchise they will most likely work something out. But given you agreed to the rate when booking and the need to change is not due to a property issue, they aren't likely to give in.

Doing the math, you may want to consider to NOT check out and just burn the night. Leave when you want and get the credit for the extra night (especially if not staying at another property that night).
Old Apr 16, 2015, 2:06 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
We have been Diamond members a long time. Last night I made a reservation for the San Diego Hilton. My husband needed to get back one night earlier. The reservation rep said that the rate would go up for all the nights if he left one day earlier. No one is helping me. This is the third issue that I have had in the past three Hilton stays. What is wrong? Diamond means nothing anymore to Hilton? Did someone buy them out. Should I switch to SPG instead. Thanks.
Some hotels charge a slightly lower rate for either multinight stays of at least nn nights or where stay includes weekend nights

It may well be that if at the time you booked you priced both original stay period and stay of 1night less you would see this hotel is simply doing same check and refunding the difference which is not going to be the the nightly rate of your longer booking

Sometimes I do this check and book an extra night or if applicable unwanted weekend night on my stay and end up paying less for my longer booking.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

So technically, the Hilton could resell that room a month from now but I should pay the rate when I go, leave the room and pay the rate. Mmmm. Doesn't compute with me unless your employer is eating the cost.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.