Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Looking for a Beach in late July/August

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2015, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by gamer1724
Hello everyone! We are looking for one last summer getaway with the kids before school starts again in the fall so ideally last week of July or 1st week of August. We'd like to stay in the US, and since kids, the likes of a Hawaii get a way are off the table. Anyone have thoughts or recommendations on the like of Florida or other areas? Thinking maybe some snorkling in some nice water and or nice beaches and of course a great hilton property

thanks!
Have a look at the other thread you started concerning Florida:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...florida+family
Old Feb 20, 2015, 10:36 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
We'd like to stay in the US, and since kids, the likes of a Hawaii get a way are off the table.
why do the kids make "Hawaii off the table", Our son now 7 loves trips to Hawaii, the resorts there are centered around kids activities.
If you want to stay on the mainland try the Hilton waterfront Huntington beach.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 11:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Long way to go for a 1 week trip... I love Hawaii, but even from MCI if I'm going there I want two weeks. Doubly so if I'm bringing along a couple of kiddos and even more likely to be in Y than if I was flying with just my wife.

From LBB, I totally hear you...I assume you often have good nonstop fare deals out of a nearby airport. From Cleveland or Akron, it's a long day going and a long day coming, likely via ORD or CVG depends on OP's main alliance.

Definitely wouldn't rule out west coast myself...Huntington Beach, or anywhere up and down the coast there, could be pretty nice for a weeklong stay. Lots to do if you occasionally want to mix in a non-beach day.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 4:20 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
It also depends on what someone wants from a "beach" location. The west coast can look nice, but I've always preferred the Florida beaches (especially the Gulf side) due to the water temp and the "softness" of the sand. But everyone is different and has their own likes/dislikes.

But I do agree on Hawaii vacations. The first time I ever went, we were there for a single week and said we'd never do that again. And ever since, we have always been for 2 weeks at a time. Maybe flying from the west coast to Hawaii isn't as bad, but when coming from the Central or Eastern time zones, it not only takes a long time to get there, it can take a few days just to get used to the time difference. If your there for a week, half your vacation is over before your fully awake enough to enjoy it.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 4:32 pm

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
Originally Posted by arlflyer
This is an extremely unlikely scenario.
Lived in Clearwater for 13 years. While you may consider it unlikely it is a possibility. Seen it thunderstorm all day and then rain for the next two.

But hey, I just lived there all the time and not vacationed.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 4:49 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by pinniped
Long way to go for a 1 week trip... I love Hawaii, but even from MCI if I'm going there I want two weeks. Doubly so if I'm bringing along a couple of kiddos and even more likely to be in Y than if I was flying with just my wife.

From LBB, I totally hear you...I assume you often have good nonstop fare deals out of a nearby airport. From Cleveland or Akron, it's a long day going and a long day coming, likely via ORD or CVG depends on OP's main alliance.

Definitely wouldn't rule out west coast myself...Huntington Beach, or anywhere up and down the coast there, could be pretty nice for a weeklong stay. Lots to do if you occasionally want to mix in a non-beach day.
we just might be a little crazy(or a lot crazy) and never let a long flight get in the way of a fun trip even if its for a short time. we are heading to paris from the west coast next new years for just 5 nights with 2nd grader. the time is restrained with his school schedule. and yes flights from LAX to Hawaii are easy and cheap, just 25000 BA Avios RT on American.

Last edited by particlemn; Feb 20, 2015 at 5:00 pm
Old Feb 20, 2015, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by MoreMilesPlease
Lived in Clearwater for 13 years. While you may consider it unlikely it is a possibility. Seen it thunderstorm all day and then rain for the next two.

But hey, I just lived there all the time and not vacationed.
I spent 20 years living in Florida (as a born and raised native, not a snowbird) and never had three days equal a week. Tell me more about that.

Last edited by arlflyer; Feb 20, 2015 at 6:41 pm
Old Feb 21, 2015, 5:14 am

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
I spent 20 years living in Florida (as a born and raised native, not a snowbird) and never had three days equal a week. Tell me more about that.
Sorry, I meant I lived full-time, year round in Clearwater. I have experience, in Clearwater/Dunedin/Palm Harbor area, rain for an entire week at a time. Thunderstorms and rain every day. Does it happen every week, no. Is it a real possibility that you can get there when a tropical depression/storm is in the area, yes. We can have a he said/she said debate all you like. The fact is that is it a possibility and hurricane season is in effect.

If you are on vacation it can be a very real issue.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by MoreMilesPlease
Sorry, I meant I lived full-time, year round in Clearwater. I have experience, in Clearwater/Dunedin/Palm Harbor area, rain for an entire week at a time. Thunderstorms and rain every day. Does it happen every week, no. Is it a real possibility that you can get there when a tropical depression/storm is in the area, yes. We can have a he said/she said debate all you like. The fact is that is it a possibility and hurricane season is in effect.

If you are on vacation it can be a very real issue.
We will have to agree to disagree. Even slow-moving Gulf storms do not linger for more than 3 days in my experience. And that is every couple of years or so.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 2:49 pm

My preference is definitely the gulf side of Florida - though after traveling internationally I'm not impressed with Domestic Hilton beach properties (mainly the points cost and dont get me started on the $6 upgrades to get a "hot" breakfast for Golds,etc). We stayed at the Hilton Clearwater in Dec and that is an excellent location right on the sand and walking distance to a big kids playground. Also recently stayed at the Hilton on Galveston Island and it was ok (but would never choose that over a Florida gulf beach)
Old Feb 28, 2015, 11:52 am

Northern Michigan is indeed beautiful in the summer (Kid Rock agrees). And late July is the cherry harvest.
I'm from Traverse City, and will 2nd this as a nice option. There are so many things to see and do. Sleeping Bear Sand Dunes has made the list of most beautiful places more than once, as well. I'm pretty sure the Cherry Festival will fall the same week as the 4th of July, and it's insanely busy there then and rooms would be hard to come by, but any other time in the summer, while touristy, should be pleasant. If you're not dead set on using Hilton, there are many nice cabin rentals on lakes and that kind of thing. You could even take a day and see Mackinac Island.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by kimslie
I'm from Traverse City, and will 2nd this as a nice option. There are so many things to see and do. Sleeping Bear Sand Dunes has made the list of most beautiful places more than once, as well. I'm pretty sure the Cherry Festival will fall the same week as the 4th of July, and it's insanely busy there then and rooms would be hard to come by, but any other time in the summer, while touristy, should be pleasant. If you're not dead set on using Hilton, there are many nice cabin rentals on lakes and that kind of thing. You could even take a day and see Mackinac Island.
Second all of this! And while the Cherry Festival was moved to overlap with July 4th weekend, the actual harvest is later in the month, and that's when the good eatin' happens.

Also, if we're going all-in on Michigan, you forgot Petoskey stone hunting.

But OP, if you want a real beach, you still need to come to FL.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 8:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: 8x Hilton Diamond Member, Southwest A Member & Companion pass Holder
thanks! we have also opened it up to Cali as well...so looking that way as well just based on weather factor nad months we are looking to go
Old Mar 6, 2015, 12:41 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Delta Diamond for 10 years(2004-2014),Hilton Gold,Club Carlson gold
Florida or California

My favorite summer vacation spot with the kids are san diego and Daytona Beach. Have stayed in hiltons at both location and they're amazing. Always get upgrade to a suite at Daytona Beach as a Hilton gold!
Old Mar 7, 2015, 5:24 pm

Programs: WS Platinum, HH Diamond, Accor Platinum
thanks! we have also opened it up to Cali as well...so looking that way as well just based on weather factor nad months we are looking to go
If California we enjoyed Huntington Beach with our kids. With a rental car, it was easy to explore a little further afield too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.