Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Launches Curio, a New Boutique Hotel Brand

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Launches Curio, a New Boutique Hotel Brand

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2014, 7:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
New Hilton boutique brand: Curio

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/a1bc52e6-e...#axzz33RH9OnPT

An announcement is expected on Monday. Will this be more like Aloft or W?
Old Jun 1, 2014, 7:11 pm
jxd

The Virginia-based hotel operator will announce on Monday that it plans to build a collection of four and five-star independently operated urban and resort hotels under the Curio brand, which it expects to make “material” contributions to earnings in years to come.

Hilton is targeting upscale boutique hotels in mature markets, the majority in the US and Europe, said chief executive Chris Nassetta ahead of the launch of the brand.
Based on this statement I would say "in between" W and aloft. But then again this is hilton. Some Conrads are better than hilton, some hiltons are better than conrad, heck, even some doubletree are better than hiltons. So yeah, hilton will probably market them as "upmarket" but it will be down to individual property.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 8:38 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
It should be pointed out that, to read the article in question one must register.

Now I'll remain "curious" to see what "Curio" will actually be, though it sounds like something that should be consigned to an antiquary's cabinet... (Blackstone: "Let's not worry about doing it all right and establish standards we require everyone in the franchise to follow, let's just establish a few more segments for the market and see if we can fool 'em..." )
Old Jun 1, 2014, 8:44 pm

Programs: Holder of six "persona non-grata" awards
The article also mentions a "Lifestyle" brand coming too; yet to be named. So Curio is intended for wealthier clientele, while the lifestyle yet to be named brand will be more for the masses.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 11:02 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Would like to believe that Hilton has been holding back on updates to some older DT properties for the rollout of the new boutique, lifestyle brands
Old Jun 2, 2014, 12:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
It sounds to me like a more consistent Luxury Collection badge a la Starwood that allows bringing in quite distinctive properties with less of a master brand approach.

I note they have signed the new SLS in LAS fir instance.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 1:30 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
It sounds to me like a more consistent Luxury Collection badge a la Starwood that allows bringing in quite distinctive properties with less of a master brand approach.

SLS in Vegas is now part of Starwood??
Old Jun 2, 2014, 1:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SgtRyan
SLS in Vegas is now part of Starwood??
The SLS in Beverley Hills (which I really like) is the only one aligned with Starwood. The FT this morning is reporting that the SLS in LAS (the redeveloped site of the former Sahara) is amongst the first 6 signatories to the new brand.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 6:11 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond
Will be interesting to see if properties will change to the new brands or it's property growth, and also what the HH benefits will be like.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 6:22 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles

Or, pretty much a knock off of Marriott's Autograph Collection- a way to get independent hotels into your reservations system and loyalty program without having to make them follow specified brand standards.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 7:04 am

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, DL PM, Hertz President's Circle
http://www.curiocollection.com/

Not much there yet, but the website is live.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dw
Or, pretty much a knock off of Marriott's Autograph Collection- a way to get independent hotels into your reservations system and loyalty program without having to make them follow specified brand standards.
AC came some time after LC as I understand it so I consider LC as the template everyone else is knocking off. Harder to claim this as a breach of IP too as it is just a basic idea.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 7:08 am

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, DL PM, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by dw
Exactly. This is totally seperate from the Lifestyle Brand W competitor that is in development as well. Exciting! I look forward to the new options.

“Our customers and owners have expressed strong interest in a brand from us that includes hotels that can retain their unique identity but also deliver the many benefits of our system, including our Hilton HHonors guest loyalty program,” said Christopher J. Nassetta, president and CEO of Hilton Worldwide. “That desire, combined with the current size of the independent hotel market and demand for differentiated hotel stays around the world, made for the right timing for this launch. Curio is an exciting new brand for us – one of two unique concepts we’ll introduce this year.”
Old Jun 2, 2014, 7:31 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Diamond Benefits?

I wonder which HH Diamond benefits will be available for the brand? I hope they don't go the route of the W/A brand which basically entitles Diamonds hardly any (no breakfast, no lounge access). Having an option in LV other than the DT will be nice, I guess.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 8:15 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
Having an option in LV other than the DT will be nice, I guess.
You guess?????

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.