Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Cant cancel at greater than 24hrs ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2013, 11:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, WN RR A-list+

I had two reservations for this weekend and there was a decent price difference between the two reservations. My wife and I weighed the pros/cons of both and decided to go with the cheaper room. When I went to cancel the unwanted stay I was unable to make changes. I panicked and quickly canceled the cheaper reservation to not get "stuck" with it.

I did some searching and found this this:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...-online-2.html

And it seems someone "tweaked" the reservation at the hotel and its most likely for an upgrade, it this true ?
Old Jun 20, 2013, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Did the reservation appear normally but without a cancellation link, or were you unable to open it at all?
Old Jun 20, 2013, 4:27 am

Programs: BA KL LH Hilton Marriott
Maybe stating the obvious but just to make sure:

Is it possible that one of the reservations was made using a non-refundable rate? Even if it wasn't intentional, I have made this mistake in the past ...
Old Jun 20, 2013, 5:18 am

Programs: Hilton HHonors Lifetime Diamond
A couple of years ago had a reservation on which the price dropped after booking. Went back to cancel and rebook and found this same "cannot be managed online" message. Called Hilton and got a chatty rep. who when I explained the situation said that hotels sometimes do this in markets where rates often change dramatically and this was a way for them to make rebooking at lower rates more difficult online. She was able to cancel the original res. for me and then I rebooked at the lower rate.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 6:21 am

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by sbams

Is it possible that one of the reservations was made using a non-refundable rate? Even if it wasn't intentional, I have made this mistake in the past ...
Maybe stating the even more obvious - is it possible the reservation is refundable but the window to cancel is 24 hours or more.

This isn't uncommon at some of the resort hotels:

Cancellation Policy
If you wish to cancel, please do so 7 days prior to arrival to avoid cancellation penalties.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 8:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stifle
Did the reservation appear normally but without a cancellation link, or were you unable to open it at all?
The standard The cancellation deadline for this reservation has expired. For assistance, call 800.560.7753 or visit Customer care.

Originally Posted by sbams

It is/was refundable

Originally Posted by BrlDsguise
Maybe stating the even more obvious - is it possible the reservation is refundable but the window to cancel is 24 hours or more.

This isn't uncommon at some of the resort hotels:

Cancellation Policy
If you wish to cancel, please do so 7 days prior to arrival to avoid cancellation penalties.

Its not a resort hotel (Double Tree Hazard Center in San Diego). But I just tired a phony reservation and there cancellation policy is 48hrs. Turns out it was my mistake but in my defense, it was past 48hrs when the notice showed up.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 8:33 am

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by poser
Its not a resort hotel (Double Tree Hazard Center in San Diego). But I just tired a phony reservation and there cancellation policy is 48hrs. Turns out it was my mistake but in my defense, it was past 48hrs when the notice showed up.
You are saying the cancellation terms were not disclosed when you made the original reservation? What does the confirmation e-mail say?
Old Jun 20, 2013, 9:17 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
What did the hotel say when you called them?

That's by far the easiest way then to get people who don't have any details on the reservation to speculate on a message board why they say that.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BrlDsguise
You are saying the cancellation terms were not disclosed when you made the original reservation? What does the confirmation e-mail say?
Originally Posted by cordelli
What did the hotel say when you called them?

That's by far the easiest way then to get people who don't have any details on the reservation to speculate on a message board why they say that.
It turns out that the 48hrs was clearly stated, I just missed it. I was further confused because it was past 48hrs when I was no longer able to cancel it.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 11:03 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
It can happen. Your best bet, IMO, is to contact the property directly. They will probably be more lenient if you disclose plans for a future stay in lieu of the attempted cancellation.

Originally Posted by poser
It turns out that the 48hrs was clearly stated, I just missed it. I was further confused because it was past 48hrs when I was no longer able to cancel it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.