Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Cheapest way to have a "sports affiliation" re MVP reservations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2013, 5:22 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite

Homewood Suites has this provision in the rate details for MVP-booked reservatons (no other HHonors brand has such a requirement in the rate details for MVP-booked hotels):

Special Rate. Hhonors number required when booking and is required at check in. Subject to availability restrictions at each Hotel. Restrictions: Must be requested. Do not offer. HHonors number required when booking and required at check in. Individual sports traveler program. Travelers will have direct affiliation with professional sports clubs,collegiate athletic departments or amateur sports Associations.
While I have never been asked for proof of such affiliation, I have a 6 night stay booked later this year and am wondering about being on the safe side by being able to produce some sort of card or web page printout.

So, anyone have any suggestions for a cheap way to be "affiliated" through being a fan, supporter, or some such of something?

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Oct 13, 2016 at 12:36 am
Old Mar 31, 2013, 5:35 am

Programs: HH diamond
Originally Posted by cblaisd
Homewood Suites has this provision in the rate details for MVP-booked reservatons (no other HHonors brand has such a requirement in the rate details for MVP-booked hotels):

While I have never been asked for proof of such affiliation, I have a 6 night stay booked later this year and am wondering about being on the safe side by being able to produce some sort of card or web page printout.

So, anyone have any suggestions for a cheap way to be "affiliated" through being a fan, supporter, or some such of something?
Do you do any amateur sports? I have membership cards from my sport from both the national and local organizations. You would be surprised how many sports have similar organizations, including running, trail running /cross country. The annual fees are usually cheap ($25-50) and often include a magazine and lots of training tips and access to discussion forums. No proof of doing the sport is needed, just pay the annual membership fee.

That said, even though I carry my membership card w/me. I've never been asked for it.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 5:53 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by travelinfoo
Do you do any amateur sports?
No.

But would happily be a supporter of those who do.

I have membership cards from my sport from both the national and local organizations. You would be surprised how many sports have similar organizations, including running, trail running /cross country. The annual fees are usually cheap ($25-50) and often include a magazine and lots of training tips and access to discussion forums. No proof of doing the sport is needed, just pay the annual membership fee.
Would love to have some specific suggestions.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 7:56 am

USA Track & Field $30
http://www.usatf.org/Products---Serv...mberships.aspx

American Trail Running $40
http://www.trailrunner.com/membershi...rship_form.htm

Local Running/Track Clubs, for example
Asheville Track Club $20
Upper Peninsula Road Runners Club $20
Old Mar 31, 2013, 8:20 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Many of us have successfully used MVP rates for years now, to the best of my knowledge no one has EVER been asked for a membership card - same goes for AAA rates...
Old Mar 31, 2013, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by diver858
Many of us have successfully used MVP rates for years now, to the best of my knowledge no one has EVER been asked for a membership card - same goes for AAA rates...
Be careful with the AAA rates. I have been asked for my card several times, both in the US and internationally. You'll be stuck paying rack rate if you are using the AAA rate when not eligible.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 9:13 am

No.

But would happily be a supporter of those who do.

Would love to have some specific suggestions.
aviff has some excellent suggestions.

If you join any amateur sport organization, you do support those of us that do the sport. The fees often go towards advancing and improving aspects of that sport.

All of us amateur sports participants thank you for whatever organization you decide to join . Who knows you may decide to join in anyway!!
Old Mar 31, 2013, 1:49 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
USGA is $10.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 3:21 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
If you are a golfer and maintain a handicap index, I would suspect that the fee you pay to be a member of a club that provides that handicap would satisfy the MVP requirement at Homewood Suites.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 6:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT

- I think you membership in Flyertalk should count as amateur sport association. If they ask, just say it is all about mattress-running!
Old Mar 31, 2013, 7:14 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by lwildernorva
If you are a golfer and maintain a handicap index, I would suspect that the fee you pay to be a member of a club that provides that handicap would satisfy the MVP requirement at Homewood Suites.
Would a health club count?
Old Jun 19, 2013, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by travelinfoo
Be careful with the AAA rates. I have been asked for my card several times, both in the US and internationally. You'll be stuck paying rack rate if you are using the AAA rate when not eligible.
I was asked for my AAA card once. I showed them the number in an app on my Android; that was all they needed to see.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Mrs. Amanuensis is a competitive powerlifter. I feel that her memberships in two different powerlifting federations is how we qualify for MVP rates.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by amanuensis
Mrs. Amanuensis is a competitive powerlifter. I feel that her memberships in two different powerlifting federations is how we qualify for MVP rates.
Or at least why nobody is going to say that you don't.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 10:19 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
ANY Amateur sports association. USTA, etc.

Fellow divers? How about your NAUI, TDI, PADI etc. certification card.

DAN for than matter; I always carry my (extra-thin, a bonus) DAN card with me. It can show the sport association and it provides me with medevac.

Fellow FTers, do you know you can join DAN for $35 per person / $55 family (Canada add $5.00 to each). No, you do not have to be a diver. Why would you do this?

The membership includes medevac insurance. Nope, no age limitations and the reason does not have to be dive related. You can purchase Trip Cancellation and Interruption Insurance etc. as well, at additional costs of course, but the truly great deal is in the medevac.

DAN TravelAssist®
As a DAN Member, you automatically receive DAN TravelAssist and up to $100,000 of evacuation assistance coverage. This benefit is effective for both diving and nondiving medical emergencies. Evacuation coverage begins when you travel on a trip at least 50 miles (80 km) from home and call the DAN Emergency Hotline (+1-919-684-9111) for assistance or evacuation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.