Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Dublin, Ireland: The Morrison, Curio collection by Hilton [was Doubletree] {IRL}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dublin, Ireland: The Morrison, Curio collection by Hilton [was Doubletree] {IRL}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2014, 3:43 pm
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Any recent reviews?
Old Jun 27, 2014, 10:31 am

Programs: Mucci! (and BA Gold, HH Dia etc.)
Just checked out after a 4 night stay
You want to know if the Morrison is a good place to stay?
Absolutely.
110 nights in Hiltons on the past year and this place is the winner.
Happy to answer specific questions if you want to PM me but be (re) assured, this hotel is well run and in my opinion, well tuned to what frequent stayers look for. In context, I've not been on the forum for a while and was motivated to log in today specifically because I had such a good stay this week.
^^^
Old Aug 11, 2014, 9:25 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
Not wow'ed

Checked in early afternoon and room wasn't available. Apparently a large party were very late in checking out. There was a large crowd of American tourists trying to check out and it was all a bit chaotic.

I had checked online and according to the system we had been upgraded to a King Deluxe but for some reason this wasn't available so we ended up with what looked like from the floor plan the smallest room on the second floor overlooking a brick wall.

There is a minibar but unlike other DT's in Europe everything apart from the two bottles of water is chargeable. There is a Tesco at the Jervis Centre and also a Spar nearby so shopped there.

Had dinner at Morrison Grill and I have to say that the food and service were awful. I spent a very unpleasant night after our meal so cannot recommend.

On our first morning we were shown to a table and then just left. No-one came over so we just sat and sat until I got fed up and went up to one of the staff members who was just standing around. Next morning the chap at the desk asked if we knew about the breakfast and I explained that the previous morning we hadn't been told anything. He didn't look bothered. Breakfast was OK but nothing remarkable.

Overall not a great experience for us and not particularly good value. There are much better hotels in Dublin and I don't believe this property offers anything special.

Old Aug 26, 2014, 1:22 pm
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Hum. I just stayed there from the 20th to 22nd. I was in a Deluxe Twin. While I didn't eat dinner in the hotel, I found the breakfast wonderful and the staff very helpful. We were told the first morning that everything on the buffet was included plus we could order a item off the extra menu (as Diamond). I didn't find it particular overrun with tourists. We moved from there (the Morrison) to the Burlington on the 22nd and the Burlington WAS overrun with tourists and a convention.

Last edited by stc; Aug 26, 2014 at 1:52 pm
Old Oct 3, 2014, 2:13 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
1-5 Oct 2014

The Morrison, a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel
Lower Ormond Quay, Dublin 1, Republic of Ireland
Tel. +353.1.887.2400 / Fax +353.1.878.3185
Award Category: 6

General Manager: Patrick Joyce
Asst. General Manager: Paul Joy

We arrived about 11 am, checked our bags and returned at 3:30 (we were told they'd call when our room became available, but they didn't). We got a junior suite on the third floor, two small bottles of water and one day we'll ask for the cookies we didn't get (never did - didn't need the fats, sugar and calories).

Location is very good: LUAS red line and a Spar mini market nearby (go left out the door, right at the LUAS rail - the Spar and LUAS stop are right there. You can walk to a lot of Dublin from here, including ber-touristy Temple Bar, Trinity College (where there's a Tesco), etc. and another Tesco at Jervis Centre.

The room is quite spacious in a Scandinavian nouveau kind of style - garish starkness with purple highlights. None of the lobby or room furnishings are truly comfortable. One must take a somewhat narrow stairway of perhaps eight steps up to this and several other rooms; if you have any mobility impairment, assure you do not get this room type on check-in.

There is a fitness facility on floor three, accessible with a swipe of your keycard (the lift and your room also operate with a swipe).

Everything is white, from laminate countertops to stone bathroom, with gaudy gold furniture accents (two armless chairs and a round hassock, gold streaky drapes, and some purple highlights - including purple lighted nights ands that are acrylic cubes. The unfinished (other than bleach) creaky wooden flooring is near white, the mattress and pillows quite firm, the bed provided with a duvet and no top sheet - it can feel stiflingly hot in bed.

Large LCD screen television, minibar (non automatic so there's room for some small items, good as the minibar is poorly stocked), central heat and air with thermostat that allows five fan settings including off and on and five unmarked temperature settings (that don't seem to have much effect on air in anyway - the warmest setting actually dropped the room temperature three degrees Fahrenheit). The electric system is 220 U.K. prong all actuated by your key card (or facsimile) in an activator slot; there is a shaver outlet (low amperage) over the sink with US and Euro receptacle.

Lighting is adequate, the closet space offers an ironing set, some hanger space, an electronic safe, some shelves (but no drawers are offered at all).

The bath is white stone and white vitreous, including a large, tricky to get in and out of tub (even with the vertical grab bar), and slippery to boot once it's wet. Lovely rain shower, tub filler and wand shower. Lots of grout replacement is needed, lots of interstices in the marble tiles are grotty and receptive to further dirt. Amenities include large towels (tied with blue ribbons) and a complement of Citron products (but only a single soap bar, hand sized at that. The lighting for the sink and mirror provides some tricky backlight for shaving or other mirror use, though lighting is adequate overall.

Housekeeping is variable (and you must put out your CLEAN hanger to get the room serviced). The team of two young women were efficient, pleasant and thorough; the older woman with close-cropped blonde hair was topical at best; whilst leaving our hanging towels, she took the bath mat and did very little cleaning.

Our room is on the third floor, overlooking a court surrounded by brick walls and windows. In the center is a large event room - well used and quite noisy. Though the sealed window shuts the noise out, the openable window is apparently poorly sealed - every amplified comment, joke, laugh, toast etc. is heard. As well, this property is awfully noise-ridden; we have loud footsteps above and around us much of the time, and when housekeeping hits a room it sounds like an architectural reconstruction. (We're stuck in this room - much of Dublin is sold out, at least until we depart Sunday, and this property is at full occupancy. Glad iamlways travel with ear plugs.)

WiFi is unsecured and gratis, albeit with a weak signal (as befits a Nor1 property, you can buy faster access. There is a business centre, which I've not used, and PrinterOn remote printing the staff suggests you not use.

I can't emphasize the noise enough - it sounds like a dancing troupe is on the floor above; probably a hotel office, because the loud staccato of feet can be heard at 3:00 am. The architect was clueless about hotels and the need to soundproof. As well, the event space (I suspect the breakfast room) is boomingly loud and obstreperous to rooms overlooking this courtyard, a three-sided amplifying box At least the drapes block out the strobe flashes. There is also a backgrounds sound like a transformer hum or planing going on continuously.

At 3:02 am I used the Sound Meter app on my smartphone. 49 db between flurries of 10-12 footfalls, 65 db during footfalls (room 335). Restful sleep with punctuated footstep flurries at 65 decibels spl? Not without ear plugs.

If you are noise sensitive, get an uppermost floor accommodation by all means.

Elites get the full Irish breakfast buffet (eggs, breads sausage, back bacon, white and black pudding, new potatoes, tomatoes, mushrooms and yoghurts, a variety of breads, etc. you can also order from the menu. The breakfast restaurant can be overwhelmed, and an event room is only accessible via the place (making it more crowded). The breakfast room leads a double life as an events menu - several wedding receptions today, a large projector fastened to the wall and a freestanding wall that doubles as a screen, presided over by a Munch-like bronze sculpture of a mutant bird-man (imagine a man with hummingbird beak and Oscar Pistorius blades for hands and feet perhaps ten feet high looking like he's about to swoop down onto the buffet table) that dominates the space, occupies some of the stairway to egress the main dining area and gives a sword of Damocles feel to anyone occupying the table under this shrieking apparition.

The restaurant (Morrison Grill) is not too pricey for Dublin, the food fairly good if not brilliant; there's a fair offering of wines, priced a bit high IMO. Service is good but a bit irregular and unpolished. The Q14 bar offers snacks, the restaurant menu and a drinks menu (but you may order and disappointingly be told what you want is out of stock). There are plenty of places to eat and drink nearby.

Checkout was unremarkable, and my remarking about the noise resulted in a "oh, I'm sorry about that", full stop.

Executive summary: Staff are generally helpful, location is good, water is hot and plentiful, linens are good. OTOH the weird staircases to some rooms, the Army barracks like noise of footfalls, event noises just tell me it's not worth a stay unless you know a specific room you want and they offer it to you. This hotel puts on airs, and disappoints.

Last edited by JDiver; Oct 6, 2014 at 12:32 am Reason: Update
Old Mar 26, 2015, 12:53 pm

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
JDiver

THANKS!
Fantastic, in-depth review.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 12:55 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
This is a pretty specky hotel.

Due in no small part to the recommendations on FlyerTalk I booked my brief two night stay here rather than at the Hilton or the Conrad.

I was upgraded to a king deluxe room which was spacious and well-appointed, although there's no tub. The TV was large and had a big selection of predominantly English language channels. In my room on arrival was a handwritten welcome card from the GM and three mini macaroons. There were two bottles of complimentary water placed in the room each day.

There was a fair bit of construction work going on within the hotel which was all in what I assume was the gym. If I followed the directions in the compendium correctly all the noise and workers were centred on where the gym should have been. It was disappointing there was no mention of this on the website or prior to arrival.

The bar is a great spot, particularly to people watch. It has a big selection of drinks and reasonable service. The prices seemed okay. Breakfast in the restaurant, Halo, was very nice. The restaurant itself has a bit of a funky design, much different to your regular hotel restaurant. The spread was very tasty. There is a small a la carte menu of about eight items and as a Diamond I was told it was all complimentary.

Location wise, it's got to be one of the best, particular if Temple bar and The Temple Bar are your thing. It's a comfortable four minute walk across the river.

I thought the hotel had a genuine focus on pleasing the customer. On the bed was an A5 notice from a manager noting that guest feedback is taken seriously and is important to the hotel. The staff in the restaurant at breakfast were always cheery and helpful and on a couple of occasions a server stopped by the table to make sure everything was okay. On one occasion I got off the elevator and there was an employee waiting to get on. He gave a very cheerful hello. At check-out I was asked about my stay. The only downside in this aspect were the housekeeping staff who appeared nonchalant. I'd frequently walk past them in the hallway and they'd either look down or just ignore me.

That aside, I think it's a great spot.

I took a taxi from Dublin airport at a cost of EUR34. On the return I took a taxi to O'Connell St to the Airlink stop for EUR6 and then the Airlink for EUR6. I wouldn't recommend the Airlink with a lot of luggage, as I did. The bus was overcrowded and there was limited room to place luggage. It was also a double-decker meaning if you can't find a seat downstairs you have to haul your luggage up the tight stairway.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 5:20 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, OZ Dia, HH Dia, SPG Plat25, MR Plat, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat
This is a really chic hotel in a great location, not too far from touristic haunts.

I booked a standard room but gor a junior suite via e-standby. The jr suite itself was a bit of a let-down size-wise and the view was overlooking some sort of roof and a brick wall. However, the bathroom was large, with nice Morrison-branded towels and amenities. The bed was comfortable, if not a little firm (which i prefer).

Check-in was smooth and the front desk staff were extremely friendly, although they neglected to tell me my estandby request was fulfilled. I stayed with my partner who asked for additional cookies multiple times, which the staff always gave with a big smile. A hire care was also booked through concierge at short notice through Avis.

Breakfast was in the restaurant (not the Morrison Grill) which had an decent selection. The yoghurt was quite delicious and the restaurant has a nice centre-ornament giving the room a grand and edgy vibe. The staff were friendly and helpful with coffee. I remember the staff asked me about where my accent was from, which i thought was quite warm.

Room service was ordered at 3am in the morning because of jet lag. The boxed delivery pizza was rather sad looking and the curry ordered was tasteless. However, i had no problem getting additional toiletries and a bucket of ice brought up to the room.

All in all, it was a nice stay at a cute hotel, complemented by great service. However was slightly let down by the view, small sized room and food. I would stay again however, because the room is quite unique and the convenient location.

Last edited by OriginalName; Jul 22, 2015 at 5:29 am
Old May 1, 2016, 1:46 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Hhonors Diamond, AA Exec Plat, National Exec Elite
Just completed a 4 night stay on points for 40k a night.

Hotel is in perfect location for the city life. Staff are extremely friendly and went above and beyond for little things. Extra towels, soap, dinner recommendation, or even tour information was all amazing and top notch.

Was recognized as a diamond memeber immediately upon checkin and was told no upgrades available due to bank holiday weekend and hotel was sold out. Free breakfast was offered every morning and options to eat off buffet or order from menu were given. Food was good and fresh. The coffee bar is a big plus, all included.

Only disappointed was the location of the room. Our view was into an adjacent building with a garbage dumpster. Certainly not the beautiful views of Dublin or the river. In retrospect we should have booked a suite as I would have enjoyed the space. That said the room itself was perfect for my wife and I.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone, it was excellent. Just book the room you want and don't pray for upgrades at this place. It's too small and inventory goes quick.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 4:07 am

Stayed as a Diamond. Booked King Deluxe, upgraded to a Junior Suite even though the hotel was nearly sold out. Also had an early morning check in with breakfast.

Breakfast has a cold/hot buffet with made to order options that were quite plentiful and delicious.

Location is perfect for exploring Dublin and pretty much everything is walkable.

Housekeeping is excellent and on a level that you'd find at a brand far above the punching weight of a Doubletree.

Staff excellent and courteous with a concierge who will give you a brief introduction to Dublin just because he wants to be friendly.

In room Wifi LAN very good, excellent heating/cooling system. Great shower pressure.

Only quibbles, note from the hotel pre-arrival said junior suites have a river view, this one did not. There is no other way to close the room door than to do it with a loud slam. Some power outlets are hard to use with a large, clunky converter.

Excellent stay and would not hesitate to stay here again.

Score: 9/10
Old Jun 18, 2017, 3:43 pm

just returned from a two night stay here. Excellent location. Very good value on points compared to the general cash rates of hotels in Dublin. No lounge, but given a 10% discount voucher for the restaurant and the bar, and a token chocolate bar and crisps in the room.

Diamond status also got us breakfast, which was very good quality. Ask for non scrambled eggs and toast; the toaster is a gluten free zone.

Neat touch in the rooms in that you can ask for a twin can be converted to King. The bed bases are on sliders and they replace the linen.

It's also one of the most consistently branded Hilton / Doubltree I have ever seen, to the extent that the corporate is subsumed to the individual.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 6:04 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
Does anyone know if Golds get breakfast here? Thanks!
Old Jan 27, 2018, 7:59 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, Sky Miles Plat
Golds get full breakfast buffet or you can order off the menu in the breakfast room.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 5:39 am

Originally Posted by tschwartz
Golds get full breakfast buffet or you can order off the menu in the breakfast room.
I am currently GOLD elite. On site at The Morrison as I write this...breakfast buffet was fantastic this morning. It is included. I was told that ordering off the menu requires 7 euro additional fee. Said they changed new procedure back in May 2018. FYI.
earlyriser likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 12:07 pm
stc

Again any recent news? The hotel does not seem to have loaded any rates after 12/31/2018. Are they leaving Hilton?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.