Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Confusion with DoubleTree Booking

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Confusion with DoubleTree Booking

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2012, 11:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, HHonors Silver
Question Confusion with DoubleTree Booking

Maybe someone can shed some light on this issue for me...

I am traveling to London the 15th - 19th of August and will be staying at the DoubleTree Tower Bridge hotel.

The total rate came out to 278.64 GBP for the stay and was a non-refundable booking that was to be charged in full at the time of booking.

Was paying my cc bill today and noticed that the total charges from Hilton was only $145.64 USD...

I have a conformation number and double checked the reservation to confirm that I was booked for an arrival on the 16th and a checkout on the 19th and that is correct.

What am I missing here? Will the remainder of the room charge be posted at check-in or is there a miscommunication somewhere along the way?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 11:16 pm

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Was your booking made online? Do you have more specific details you can work out?

Also, check with your creditcard company to find out the value ofthe transaction in GBP before conversion to USD. That might give you some clue as to how they reached that number.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 11:21 pm
Original Poster

Yes the booking was made online.

The conversion rate should place the total charge around $435 USD based on the day the booking was made.

I have received verification that I have a room for those dates and the booking is showing under my Hilton account.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
it is possible that was just the hold amount and the full charge will post later.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

Thats what I thought also but I went back and reviewed the conformation page and it stated the full amount will be charged prior to conformation of the stay which makes this more confusing.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 3:30 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Sounds like they charged you for the first nights stay and will charge the rest once you get there.

I would call the hotel directly (not the 800 number) to make sure everything is in order.

It's not at all unusual for prepaid rates not to be charged right away.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by StevenC.
Thats what I thought also but I went back and reviewed the conformation page and it stated the full amount will be charged prior to conformation of the stay which makes this more confusing.
I have gotten that language before. But the hotel didn't actually charge me until I left.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 4:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
Originally Posted by cordelli
It's not at all unusual for prepaid rates not to be charged right away.
How common is this? I have upcoming stays which were booked under the "prepaid rate". One at a Hilton was charged on booking, but the other at a Doubtree was not charged at all. I assume I will need to take care of the bill or check-in/check-out, but just curious how often this happens.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Time traveller
How common is this? I have upcoming stays which were booked under the "prepaid rate". One at a Hilton was charged on booking, but the other at a Doubtree was not charged at all. I assume I will need to take care of the bill or check-in/check-out, but just curious how often this happens.
It happens more often with the Non-US properties I think. The US properties are more inclined to get your money ASAP.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by colpuck
It happens more often with the Non-US properties I think. The US properties are more inclined to get your money ASAP.
I believe the US properties have a central charging agency for pre-paid bookings wich does indeed charge upon booking.

They have shown up on my statements as "HILTON ADVANCE PURCHAS 000000000012345"

Non-US properties generally do the charging themselves and this can vary from immediately after booking until a few days before. I cannot recall any pre-paid booking I have had with a Hilton property that was not charged before arrival. They show up on statements under the Hotels's account.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.