Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WiFi access on Conference level

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2012, 11:26 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Marriott Plat, Priority Club Plat, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC
WiFi access on Conference level

As a Diamond member I get free wifi access, but it doesn't appear to be everywhere in the hotel.

I am currently at a conference at the Capital Hilton in DC. I have access in my room and in the lobby. All of the conference sessions are on the second floor and the wifi requires a separate password.

I went down to the front desk to inquire and they said that the organization did not contract for wifi for the conference. Turns out it would have cost about $20k (for 320 attendees), which is utterly rediculous.

They said I should connect my device in the lobby and it will work on the second floor. This does actually work, however, once my iPhone goes into lock mode it won't reconnect to the wifi on the second floor.

Has anyone ever been successful in getting a the meeting floor level wifi password through their elite status? I think that as a Diamond member if they provide wifi access it should be through the entire hotel. However, before I push the issue I figured I should see if anyone has been able to do it before.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 11:36 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
It probably won't happen. We have actually set up a router before in the lobby at a hotel once to get a signal in the conference rooms (it's probably still tucked in behind that plant).

It's probably a totally different system and the front desk may not even control it.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 11:39 am

Programs: Holder of six "persona non-grata" awards
Originally Posted by GNALUZU
This does actually work, however, once my iPhone goes into lock mode it won't reconnect to the wifi on the second floor.

Try this:
Go into your iPhone "Settings" folder, then select the "Wi-Fi" folder. Scroll down and turn OFF the "Ask to Join Networks" feature. In theory, this should keep you connected to wi-fi networks that you have already logged into, eg. the lobby wi-fi and should not try to kick you off when you go to the conference level.

Hope this helps.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 11:49 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Marriott Plat, Priority Club Plat, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC
Originally Posted by fozziedoggie
Try this:
Go into your iPhone "Settings" folder, then select the "Wi-Fi" folder. Scroll down and turn OFF the "Ask to Join Networks" feature. In theory, this should keep you connected to wi-fi networks that you have already logged into, eg. the lobby wi-fi and should not try to kick you off when you go to the conference level.

Hope this helps.
I'll give that a shot. My concern is that when the phone locks it disconnects the wifi. Also, both of the wifi networks are called the same thing "hhonors", but for some reason it requires a separate password on the conference floor.

I'll let you know if this works.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 12:11 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, HH Diamond
You might also try temporarily changing the security settings of the iphone so that it does not lock automatically in order to keep the connection active...
Old Apr 26, 2012, 6:43 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

I'll give that a shot. My concern is that when the phone locks it disconnects the wifi. Also, both of the wifi networks are called the same thing "hhonors", but for some reason it requires a separate password on the conference floor.

I'll let you know if this works.
Sadly, it didn't work. Kept dropping the signal when locked.

Originally Posted by cguzik
You might also try temporarily changing the security settings of the iphone so that it does not lock automatically in order to keep the connection active...
Unfortunately, it isn't possible to disable the locking feature if you have a Microsoft Exchange Server set up on an iPhone.

Oh well. Thanks for the tips.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 8:27 am

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, LH SEN *, HH Gold
I think that as a Diamond member if they provide wifi access it should be through the entire hotel.
The published Diamond benefit is:

Complimentary High-Speed Internet Access

While registered at any hotel within the Hilton Worldwide portfolio of brands, Diamond HHonors Members will enjoy complimentary high speed internet access. If two or more high speed offerings are available at a hotel, the Diamond HHonors guest is provided access to a higher connection speed offering. This benefit is offered only for in-room access.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 9:30 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Hagbard Viking
The published Diamond benefit is:

Complimentary High-Speed Internet Access

While registered at any hotel within the Hilton Worldwide portfolio of brands, Diamond HHonors Members will enjoy complimentary high speed internet access. If two or more high speed offerings are available at a hotel, the Diamond HHonors guest is provided access to a higher connection speed offering. This benefit is offered only for in-room access.
Well, that pretty much answers my original question. Thanks for sharing (and glad I didn't go make a stink about it at the front desk)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.