Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Amsterdam Centraal Station {NLD}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Amsterdam Centraal Station {NLD}

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2012, 1:04 am

Programs: Delta Platinum/1MM, Hilton Diamond
Currently staying here for three nights. As Diamond, I was upgraded to a dockside suite with an excellent city view.

A few quirks to get used to. Some room windows has these electric shutters that can open and close on demand. There are individual controls in each room. However it seems that hotel management can also open and close them from a master switch somewhere. If that happens, the room switches become temporarily disabled. This morning I was enjoying the nice view of the city when suddenly the shutters closed, and I couldn't reopen them.

The noises from the trains have already been mentioned, but I was able to sleep without any problems.

The breakfast buffet is outstanding.

Location cant be beat next door to Amsterdam Centraal.

If I ever made it back to Amsterdam, I think I would return here.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 2:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by jammanxc
There is no executive lounge in this hotel.
sucks....while i generally don't stay at properties without an executive lounge, it does seem like this property is a much better option than the hilton....

has any diamond booked 2 rooms here????i just wanted to know if this property would also offer breakfast to the second room if both rooms are booked under a diamond members name....

Last edited by Keyser; Jun 12, 2012 at 3:07 am
Old Jun 12, 2012, 4:10 am

Thumbs up

I've stayed a couple of times as Gold at this hotel, and once I received a suite upgrade. My next stay will be as Diamond, so hoping for the suite upgrade again

Location is great for exploring Amsterdam, you can get off the train from Schiphol and walk into the hotel a few minutes later. You are close to the train station, buses and Metro if you want to get around a little, and prices are reasonable, too. Bikes are available at the hotel. Breakfast is wonderful, but with a full hotel it is quite busy! Staff is always friendly. The White Company bathroom amenities are great.

The main entrance is a bit hard to find for first-time visitors, but once you get there it is not a problem. Would be slightly better if they had the main entrance straight in sight from Amsterdam Centraal.

Great hotel!
Old Jun 23, 2012, 9:04 am

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Accor Gold, Flying Blue, Exec Club.
How many times is this question asked in various threads?

The t&c as per the previous posts do say it is for the member only. If you dont get them, that is correct, if you do get them, its a nice bonus, but don't expect and dont be put out if you don't.

Why should hotels give out benefits to family? Maybe through goodwill, but those people have not earnt those benefits, so you can't be annoyed at all if they don't get them- if it really is important book the upgraded rooms/ breakfast etc to start.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

Just had my fourth stay at this hotel in less than six months. This hotel will remain my favourite hotel in Amsterdam, but the last stay had a couple of quirks:
  1. No upgrade; maybe they were full (this is the first time that I have seen their standard rooms). Also no HHG amenity in the room.
  2. When I came to my room (well past midnight), there was a big suitcase right next to the door. Since I was tired, I ignored it. The next morning, it was still there. When I came back from breakfast, it was still there. I called reception and informed them.
  3. There was no shampoo in my room. Of course, I only noticed that after I was already under the shower.
  4. While I was packing my suitcase, housekeeping knocked on the door. I was not quick enough to answer, and they tried to open the door. The door was chained, and the chain broke into pieces.
  5. When I was checking out, there were lots of families sitting on the floor of the reception areas, repacking their suitcases with very loud children.

All minor things, but still (especially the thing with the chain is worrying: if the housekeeping lady can rip the chain apart accidentally while opening the door, how safe can it be...?). The rest of the rather short stay was excellent.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 6:30 pm

Programs: DAL Plat, HH LT Diamond
i plan to stay here in november...

found this online for a contact point:

[email protected]
Old Aug 10, 2012, 4:18 am

Programs: AA EXP / HH Diamond
Recent 3-night Reward Stay

Had booked a King room on points for a 3-day stay; was upgraded to a high-floor suite in the "other building" (cross thru the glass walkway to the x01-x10 section).

Very quiet room, with fast WiFi (and NO sign-in screen). Both rooms of the suite had individual climate control. Large bathroom, separate tub and shower. Loads of amenities from both White Company and Crabtree and Evelyn.

As a Diamond, in addition to the suite upgrade, I was also given free access to the mini-bar, which was promised to be restocked daily. No, not a full-liquor mini-bar, but one with chips, water (still and sparkling), and two Heineken beers. Though not restocked daily, still a bit nicer than one or two bottles of water. Also, without asking was granted late-checkout (6:00 PM) on my last day.

Breakfast was outstanding, and also included as part of the upgrades.

Very friendly staff at the Lobby Bar and Skylounge (two very aptly named bars). Pricey, but very good.

With the city view, as well as the "other building" placement, the room was very quiet and did not seem to have the issues as noted above. The hotel overall was very clean.

Also: The front desk sells GVB cards valid for 24-hours for EUR 7.50. By far the easiest way to purchase these tickets, and you can charge the room (hello points for transit)....

One caution... Parking on site is now EUR 45 a day. Take advantage of its location at Centraal!

Last edited by Flyer78; Aug 10, 2012 at 4:28 am Reason: edit on upgrades
Old Aug 10, 2012, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by Keyser
has any diamond booked 2 rooms here????i just wanted to know if this property would also offer breakfast to the second room if both rooms are booked under a diamond members name....
Originally Posted by Skimanant
How many times is this question asked in various threads?

The t&c as per the previous posts do say it is for the member only. If you dont get them, that is correct, if you do get them, its a nice bonus, but don't expect and dont be put out if you don't.

Why should hotels give out benefits to family? Maybe through goodwill, but those people have not earnt those benefits, so you can't be annoyed at all if they don't get them- if it really is important book the upgraded rooms/ breakfast etc to start.
i would suggest you read post carefully before you reply....i'm not annoyed & i'm not demanding....its a simple question....does this property offer breakfast to both rooms if one of the rooms is being occupied by the diamond member????some properties do out of goodwill & some properties don't....if they do then that's great....if they don't then i'll pay for breakfast for the second room....as simple as that....if you don't know the answer then don't reply....
Old Sep 4, 2012, 3:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fptxenemit
There was no shampoo in my room. Of course, I only noticed that after I was already under the shower.
Just returned from another three-night stay. Oddly, I once more didn't have shampoo in my room. This time, I noticed before I started showering and asked housekeeping who provided shampoo immediately.

I think I should also mention Stella in the City Cafe who seems to remember all breakfast orders in detail -- I have been in this hotel four or five times over a period of seven months now, and she still greets and remembers my breakfast order.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 6:38 am

Programs: DL DM; *A-Gold
i would suggest you read post carefully before you reply....i'm not annoyed & i'm not demanding....its a simple question....does this property offer breakfast to both rooms if one of the rooms is being occupied by the diamond member????some properties do out of goodwill & some properties don't....if they do then that's great....if they don't then i'll pay for breakfast for the second room....as simple as that....if you don't know the answer then don't reply....
I booked 2 rooms earlier this year as a gold member and I did get free breakfast for all 4 people as well as free wifi for both rooms. However, only 1 room got upgraded
Old Sep 5, 2012, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MarLim
I booked 2 rooms earlier this year as a gold member and I did get free breakfast for all 4 people as well as free wifi for both rooms. However, only 1 room got upgraded
great....thanks for posting....
Old Sep 26, 2012, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

checked in earlier today for a 4 night stay....had 2 rooms booked under my name....the first was upgraded to a king city view suite while free breakfast was extended for the second room....so far i am loving this hotel....everything looks new, the location is excellent, minibar is free & food is good....
Old Sep 26, 2012, 8:33 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
checked in earlier today for a 4 night stay....had 2 rooms booked under my name....the first was upgraded to a king city view suite while free breakfast was extended for the second room....so far i am loving this hotel....everything looks new, the location is excellent, minibar is free & food is good....
Good news !

I need two rooms for next Aug and I am at Gold status. Of course it would be pure luck if my other room got free breakfast. I have been advised to ask for a room away from the train noise. Is that what you meant by city view?

Any hints on when/where to get the best rate for next August?
Old Sep 26, 2012, 9:10 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum/1MM, Hilton Diamond
The hotel is next to Centraal Station so you'll hear the trains regardless. The City View rooms face away from the tracks so there will be less train noise.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Lomapaseo
Good news !

I need two rooms for next Aug and I am at Gold status. Of course it would be pure luck if my other room got free breakfast. I have been advised to ask for a room away from the train noise. Is that what you meant by city view?

Any hints on when/where to get the best rate for next August?
Originally Posted by Smaug
The hotel is next to Centraal Station so you'll hear the trains regardless. The City View rooms face away from the tracks so there will be less train noise.
no noise at all last night in the city view room....breakfast was very good this morning....lots of choices....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.