Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Bangkok {THA} (no longer Honors)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 1999, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA-2MM Lifetime Platinum

Has anyone stayed at the Bangkok Hilton and has comments about their stay?

[This message has been edited by Paul3456 (edited 09-12-1999).]
Old Sep 12, 1999, 12:41 pm
Original Member

I assume you mean the Hilton Hotel, rather than the jail?
Old Sep 12, 1999, 9:16 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

What a sense of humor james!

Yes, I'm familiar with this hotel. It's fine, but in a city with so many wonderful choices. My wife likes/loves the jewelery store in the lobby. Last year we made a last minute "special trip" from Lampini Park to Nai Lert Park Hilton just to go to this store.

The hotel is a somewhat isolated if you like that. Do you have some specific questions?
Old Sep 13, 1999, 2:12 am
Original Poster

I am concerned about it being so isolated. I have previously stayed at the Landmark and liked that location. Will I be able to hire tuk-tuks and regular taxis outside the front door of the hotel or will I be limited to the ridiculously expensive hotel limousines?
Old Sep 13, 1999, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
You can get tuk-tuk's pretty much anywhere, but why would you want to? They rip off tourists and have no air conditioning.

I recommend the Grand Hyatt or Shangri-la for great hotels in great locations.
Old Sep 13, 1999, 7:56 am
doc

As I recall you have to go up a winding circular hill to get to the door. As you may know, many Asian Hilton's are set up this way to discourage any passing rif raff and encourage limo access!

The Hilton is a somewhat better hotel than the Landmark, which I think is east on/near Sukumvit close to the Convention Center. i prefer this location and stayed down the road at the JW Marriott last year.

Stimpy makes a good point, especially regarding tuk tuks which I never take! You can get a cab at the door or walk dwon to the street at the Hilton which I remember is on Wireless Road.

Adding to the suggestions for fine Bangkok propertirs, The Sukothai, Regent, and Oriental get my votes for the top three here and surely each is also in my top ten city hotels worldwide.
Old Jan 4, 2000, 10:27 am
Original Poster

Bangkok Hilton is a winner!

Just completed a 6 night GLON award stay at the Bangkok Hilton. Got upgraded to the Executive Level as a Gold VIP member. Executive lounge is very good with outstanding food both in the morning and evening. This hotel is available as a point stretcher award for all of April, May and June 2000 and would be a great use of points. I highly recommend this hotel.
Old Jan 4, 2000, 4:30 pm

I found this low-rise property to be quite good UNLESS you get an upgrade to the executive floor (5th, the highest). Lower-floor rooms are pretty basic and old. They also honored my Gold VIP status and upgraded me to the executive floor in September, though I booked the lowest priced room.

Paul3456, did they finish renovating the fitness center? When I was there in Sept., it was closed and they told me renovation would not complete at least until early 2000. (They had two guest rooms on the 1st floor for some gyme equipment, though.)
Old Jan 4, 2000, 6:38 pm
Original Poster

Chiangi, no, the fitness center is not finished yet. Went walking through the hotel grounds and saw where it is, but it looked like it still had quite a bit of work to be done on it. Don't remember if or when they said it would be ready. The temporary fitness center is still in a couple of 1st floor rooms but didn't check it out.
Old Apr 23, 2001, 1:23 am

Programs: AF/KLM Plat For Life/UA Million Miler-PremEx For Life/SPG Gold
Bangkok Hilton- Yea or Nay?

How does this Hilton property stack up in the Hilton pecking order of quality intl. properties?
Old Apr 23, 2001, 6:58 am
doc

Okay but out of the way!
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum57/HTML/000226.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum57/HTML/000622.html
Old Apr 23, 2001, 7:36 am

Programs: AF/KLM Plat For Life/UA Million Miler-PremEx For Life/SPG Gold
Doc-

Duhhhh, I should have just done a search! Its just more fun to post I guess!

I will only be there one day, so location isn't a key issue...now HH points on the other hand, is a BIG issue.

Thanks Doc
Old Apr 23, 2001, 9:11 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I stayed for one night in the BKK Hilton using points a few weeks ago and found the hotel and its garden-like property to be quite pleasant. As a gold, I was treated quite well and the fact that it is located off by itself I considered to be a plus, especially given the fact that I would take air-conditioned cabs to some of the more far flung tourist locales anyway. My only minor complaint was that the guest rooms could be a bit cooler, but I have to bear in mind that I had just spent two nights at the wonderfully polar-like Peninsula.
Old Apr 23, 2001, 10:43 am

Location: Chicago, IL USA UA1K, AA Plat, Hilton Diamond,Hyatt Diamond,Marriott Gold
Programs: UA1K, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond,Marriott Platinum
I have stayed there a couple times per year for the last 5 years. It is somewhat secluded but has an incredibly beautiful pool. Service has always been outstanding (I'm a diamond). I try to stay there when I can - it doesn't match the Royal Orchid or Shangri-la but the prices don't either.
Old Apr 23, 2001, 12:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally posted by ORD - HKG FF:

<snip>

it doesn't match the Royal Orchid or Shangri-la but the prices don't either.
I stayed at the Royal Orchid the next day and actually enjoyed the Hilton more. I found the Sheraton to have a much more touristy feel than the Hilton, which I guess caters more to business travelers. Of course, the Peninsula is one notch above both of them, IMHO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.