Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Bogota {COL}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2014, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
You would get the same response in the US - "Sorry, but our signage expressly advises you to store all valuables in the safe."
What happens when the safe is missing from the room? I encountered that this past weekend at the Hilton Princess in San Salvador. The hotel information book clearly stated that each room contained a safe located in the closet. When I checked the closet all I saw was the outline of where the safe was. I had a good laugh.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 7:49 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by TomMM
What happens when the safe is missing from the room? I encountered that this past weekend at the Hilton Princess in San Salvador. The hotel information book clearly stated that each room contained a safe located in the closet. When I checked the closet all I saw was the outline of where the safe was. I had a good laugh.
I realize San Salvador is not the U.S. but, in the U.S. placing valuables in an in-room safe does not place any liability on the hotel if something comes up missing. One must utilize the safe deposit boxes located in the front desk area if they wish to absolve themselves of any issues in case of theft.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 8:39 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, HHonors
Regarding the VAT:

I had a weekend stay last month. My receipt is 745 596 pesos. Of that, "Base gravada 16%" = 62 066 pesos and "IVA 16%" - 9 934 pesos.

I signed a paper regarding tax exemption at check-in. Was I supposed to not have paid those taxes? It was solely the room and wi-fi, no breakfast or other expenses.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 5:43 am
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by trademark25
Regarding the VAT:

I had a weekend stay last month. My receipt is 745 596 pesos. Of that, "Base gravada 16%" = 62 066 pesos and "IVA 16%" - 9 934 pesos.

I signed a paper regarding tax exemption at check-in. Was I supposed to not have paid those taxes? It was solely the room and wi-fi, no breakfast or other expenses.
Is your post missing some zeroes? How can your bill be 745596 pesos and your taxable costs are only 62066? (Unless you got a mistake room rate, stayed one night and hammered the bar)

Or are you saying you exempted yourself somehow from VAT on the room and wifi so the tax applies to incidentals? If that happened then that is correct, how did you do it?
Old Oct 2, 2014, 11:12 am

Programs: Aeroplan, HHonors
Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia
Is your post missing some zeroes? How can your bill be 745596 pesos and your taxable costs are only 62066? (Unless you got a mistake room rate, stayed one night and hammered the bar)

Or are you saying you exempted yourself somehow from VAT on the room and wifi so the tax applies to incidentals? If that happened then that is correct, how did you do it?
I don't think I did anything unusual. Here is the receipt -

Last edited by trademark25; Oct 17, 2014 at 6:34 pm Reason: Removed personal info
Old Oct 3, 2014, 3:11 am

Originally Posted by trademark25
Regarding the VAT:

I had a weekend stay last month. My receipt is 745 596 pesos .
Mine was just over 8,000,000 for my stay, seems to count for nothing.

Ho hum, as per my thread title, lesson learned. It would have been much more convenient to stay in the Sheraton, as our agent's office is there, and I was splitting my time between him, and the British High Commission building close to the Hilton.

Next time, I know where (not) to stay !
Old Oct 3, 2014, 3:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Kacee
Wow that really sucks. In many many trips to Colombia I've never had anything taken from a room.
+1
Old Oct 3, 2014, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by controller1
Understand. In other words, you had never seen him....
If I've never seen someone, I certainly haven't seen him in the last 30 years.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 9:42 pm

Do not let staff clean your room

Originally Posted by tezzer
Just stayed here for a 15 night business trip, hotel was great, front of house staff pleasant, and a very good lounge. However.

During my first week, my wallet, left on the work desk presumably when I was in the lounge was "lightened", by Ł30 GBP and $100,000 Colombian pesos.

Rather than make a great big fuss, I had a quiet word with the team leader on reception, just to let them know they had an "issue".

A check of who had access to the room from the card swipes narrowed it down, and 2 people were dismissed according to the security manager.

During my 2nd week, a mobile phone (HTC Desire) was left on the side to fully discharge. This too made it's way out of the room, so I went to advise the security manager, once again, and emailed the General manager's PA.

Despite numerous promises that someone would contact me, copied to HHonors customer service department, no one has contacted me at all, except a week ago, Hilton asking for my Name, Address, phone number, date of birth, confirmation number and dates of stay, all of which are of course available on my profile.

To lose the money was careless, to lose the phone unfortunate,but to not contact a loyal (till now) customer is very poor, and I for certain won't be back, as despite it being a good hotel, they don't seem able to follow up on a complaint.
We invariably put on the door a 'do not disturb sign' and do not allow any cleaning. We ask for towels, leave food and garbage outside. For a stay of 2-3 days, there should be no problem. If the room does get dirty after 5-6 days, we permit cleaning only if me or my husband is there. Nothing gets stolen this way.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 7:29 pm

Programs: AAdvantage 2MM+ Lifetime PLT; BA, CO, UA, US; SPG; HHonors Gold
HH Gold Breakfast for family members?

I'm traveling later this month with my wife & teenage son. I'm a newbie HH gold, and the rules on Hilton's website state that the Gold breakfast is for only 1 additional person. How strictly is that enforced? I'm thinking of booking the Bogota Hilton with HHonors points.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by rj123456
I'm traveling later this month with my wife & teenage son. I'm a newbie HH gold, and the rules on Hilton's website state that the Gold breakfast is for only 1 additional person. How strictly is that enforced? I'm thinking of booking the Bogota Hilton with HHonors points.
My Gold breakfast was in the lounge anyway, so as long as one of you has a card that opens the door, they are not checking who is who and you can all walk in there and eat. I was not in an exec room, just given access for the breakfasts.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 1:57 pm

Thanks

My Gold breakfast was in the lounge anyway, so as long as one of you has a card that opens the door, they are not checking who is who and you can all walk in there and eat. I was not in an exec room, just given access for the breakfasts.
Nice, thanks. They have $99 weekend rate vs $129 w breakfast, so that saves 30 bucks.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 2:04 pm

Nice, thanks. They have $99 weekend rate vs $129 w breakfast, so that saves 30 bucks.
But it doesn't. If you read further up this thread, you will see that the $129 rate is tax exempt because Hilton Bogotá considers this a "paquete turístico" yet the room only rate is not considered tax exempt so you will have to pay 16% on top of $99. That is $114.84 so you save $14.16 if you opt for the lounge breakfast.

Bear in mind (also mentioned in this thread) that 99 Hilton Bogotá dollars are going to cost you about 106 United States Dollars due to their charging in pesos and converting it at an arguably fraudulent rate.

You mentioned above that you were considering using points, which is a great deal compared to their $269 midweek rate but not so good for the weekend.

Step carefully with these sharks
Old Sep 1, 2015, 2:31 pm

But it doesn't. If you read further up this thread, you will see that the $129 rate is tax exempt because Hilton Bogotá considers this a "paquete turístico" yet the room only rate is not considered tax exempt so you will have to pay 16% on top of $99. That is $114.84 so you save $14.16 if you opt for the lounge breakfast.

Bear in mind (also mentioned in this thread) that 99 Hilton Bogotá dollars are going to cost you about 106 United States Dollars due to their charging in pesos and converting it at an arguably fraudulent rate.

You mentioned above that you were considering using points, which is a great deal compared to their $269 midweek rate but not so good for the weekend.

Step carefully with these sharks
I was thinking of booking 2 nights with $ and the third night with points. Total 3 day stay. So it will end up being $106*1.16 for a whopping $8.04 savings per night. Actually more savings because even the $129 breakfast-included rate will be overcharged per their dubious policies.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 2:44 pm

I was thinking of booking 2 nights with $ and the third night with points. Total 3 day stay. So it will end up being $106*1.16 for a whopping $8.04 savings per night. Actually more savings because even the $129 breakfast-included rate will be overcharged per their dubious policies.
Unless you are desperate for night credits you could book the third night with points presuming that is otherwise a $269 per night rate and book the first two nights at another hotel nearby with less shonky practices, such as the GHL Style Mila in fashionable Rosales where they will charge about $70 per night including breakfast and internet. HIX and suites is 3 blocks south in the same road and has great rates.

The peso has devalued about 40% this year so you are not getting the best deal anyway by staying at the Hilton with it's USD rates. You are effectively paying 40% over the odds when it comes to pesos.

Bogotá has tonnes of good hotels and they are giving them away at the moment, such as Ramada 93 which I have seen for $50 per night. Hilton Bogotá is nice but having to figure out the tax issue and what you will actually pay after going through their imaginary exchange rates just leaves a bitter taste.

Sorry, don't want to come across as if I am lecturing

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.