Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel London - Docklands Riverside {GBR} (formerly Hilton)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel London - Docklands Riverside {GBR} (formerly Hilton)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2015, 6:01 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by wizla
Deleted due to wrong place for posting, this hotel now rebranded and trip report moved to appropriate thread.
MODS - is it time to close this thread?
Why? It is the same bricks and mortar, and still within the Hilton Portfolio so not exactly a 'fresh start with a clean slate' that the past history doesn't matter - just rename the title?

Anyhow, I stayed there on the weekend for a work trip, and as I was over the river it was close by. I lived on the same road on the river 12 years ago, so was interested to see how the area had changed - it was a bit of a dodgy area back then, but as said by others the pub to the south of the hotel is now shut which was my local back then. The area didn't have much soul back then, and still the case now.

Can't say anything stood out with the hotel, most staff I had contact with were pretty average, only a few that made an effort and knew what they are doing. Pity there was a lack of English staff, as even most hotels in the US have American staff on the reception at least. I guess that is the norm these days in England... The refit mirrors what others had said, I found it looking rushed and shoddy - didn't the property owner check the workmanship as the caulking job was done by someone when they were having an epileptic fit! Getting in someone to grind and restore the finish to the marble flooring would have done wonders to the bathrooms, and an opportunity missed I think.

I know it was the weekend, and leisure guests can be a handful, but the place was disorganised.

I did mention this to a mate today that is Hilton management in Europe, and his response was "I did warn you we stopped managing it and it went to franchise"

ETA, although it is provieded by BT, the wifi was unreliable, and many times wouldn't even redirect to the login page to login. Gave up and used my phone as a hotspot.

Last edited by Forever in Seattle; Jul 6, 2015 at 6:20 am
Old Jul 6, 2015, 6:09 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by TTL
One night behind here after long time and hopefully also for long time. Signs have been changed to reflect the new brand, the reception desk relocated, and some rooms obviously renovated. For Ł199 per stay I was not impressed, however.

The diamond gift was a 187 ml bottle of red wine, a banana, and an apple. Breakfast room had been extended to the previous bar area. The offerings were adequate, but no one came to ask about coffee or tea. Service attitude/competence appeared slightly declining.
I echo TTL, I wouldn't have been happy if I was spending my own money.

And they give you 187 ml bottle or red wine? Seriously?? It this normal for the UK/Hilton? I am top tier with another chain, do nearly all of my work travel in the US and they give us full bottles of wine!
Old Jul 6, 2015, 9:13 am
TTL

Programs: HH Diam, AY/AX/KQ/IHG/VISA Plat, SK/Bonvoy/Melia/Strawberry Gold, Radisson Prem, PP Prest
In London, Hilton Paddington offers a small bottle of apple juice and chocolates, Metropole nothing, and Canary Wharf nothing, Tower Bridge nothing but they have exec. lounges to compensate. DoubleTree Tower Hill usually offers a full wine bottle + minibar filled with three miniature liquors, soft drinks, and snack bites.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 11:54 am

Programs: The Embassy
I wouldn't normally comment on soft furnishings in a hotel, but this takes the piss.

What's the point in curtains that don't make the room dark?

Mind you, this shot took 5 minutes to set up because if you look at the curtains the wrong way, they come out completely:

Guess they're meant to have weights in the bottom to help with both. They don't. Room (431) does appear to have aircon, though.

Last edited by zebrametalevel; Jul 13, 2015 at 1:54 pm
Old Sep 2, 2015, 3:56 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond
executive lounge

An executive lounge has now been opened at the DT Docklands. Whoever is at this property next, if you could provide a review and maybe some pictures, that would be handy. And most appreciated.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 5:22 pm

For sale

DT London Docklands Riverside is now on the market.

Ł100m is the asking price.

http://www.ampmhotels.com/news/files...etterAug15.pdf
Old Sep 3, 2015, 12:53 am

Programs: hhonors diamond
im there fri/sat 11-13th......will check it out!
Old Sep 3, 2015, 7:46 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond
excellent! I will pre-warn the Docklands that our most prolific UK reviewer is on his way ;P
Old Sep 3, 2015, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by treppenlaeufer
excellent! I will pre-warn the Docklands that our most prolific UK reviewer is on his way ;P
haha.....and when when you do, tell them to give me a decent upgrade!

im here with a mate for a jolly!...booked two rooms because he snores like a horse!!!..........will do the usual live reporting
Old Sep 11, 2015, 9:10 am

Arrived at 3pm......not preupgraded not done olci .....FD told me he will see if he can upgrade and did! From double guest room to king deluxe with balcony and river view ( both rooms)...... Very happy.
I unpacked and went straight to the new lounge to have a look, it's very small....no afternoon tea service but there is tea coffee, juice and beer!....yes beer.....dunno if it's out by mistake or what?.......also wasabi peas and kettle crisps .
It brand new and spotless but like I say very small!.
I'm typing this now form the Lounge , there is only four of us in here......dunno what tonight will bring?.
Now off to gym......will report back later!

Ps - dragon just turned up with nutria grain bars.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 10:41 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by wizla
I unpacked and went straight to the new lounge to have a look, it's very small....no afternoon tea service but there is tea coffee, juice and beer!....yes beer.....dunno if it's out by mistake or what?.......also wasabi peas and kettle crisps .

Ps - dragon just turned up with nutria grain bars.
Nice one! Thanks for report!
Old Sep 11, 2015, 4:55 pm

Ok......I used gym ( it's ok smallish but bigger than canar wharf Hilton)..... Came back showered and went to lounge......pleasantly surprised !.....canapés were cheeseboard and cold meats , salads kettle chips too, got talking to another daimond who claims he stays here mon to fri and says service has Improved since new manager started.......beer - budvar and becks wine - Shiraz red and white ( no fizz)........ Arrived 6-15 stayed an hour before going across to Canary wharf for a few beers and meal with a mate...........now back at hotel and lounge still open and wine still out....it's 11-30!!!!..... So had a little nightcap before retiring ......of course will report back after breakfast.
Old Sep 12, 2015, 1:00 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
I had a totally disappointing stay there a few weeks ago. Upgrade was to the world's small suite with a view of the car park and drop off area. The curtains didn't keep the light out and the TV was almost impossible to watch from the bed. There was a single light in the sitting area, and another but no socket to plug it in.

The lobby is nice enough

Old Sep 12, 2015, 3:15 am

Originally Posted by Markie
I had a totally disappointing stay there a few weeks ago. Upgrade was to the world's small suite with a view of the car park and drop off area. The curtains didn't keep the light out and the TV was almost impossible to watch from the bed. There was a single light in the sitting area, and another but no socket to plug it in.

The lobby is nice enough

I don't think I've ever had a bad stay here, I guess its just lucky......I've just come back from breakfast and I think it's an improved offering from than my last stay here back in July ........I like that they have proper orange juice! .....finished in the lounge with great coffee from the nesspreso machine.
The weather is fine, I'm gonna go for a wander up london and then I will be back again this afternoon .......I done this booking for two nights on separate com numbers to keep costs down and noticed tonight both rooms are upgraded to exec, however I've spoke to FD and they are gonna let us keep the same rooms for tonight as we are happy with king deluxe rooms.........will report back later!
Old Sep 12, 2015, 4:25 am
TTL

Programs: HH Diam, AY/AX/KQ/IHG/VISA Plat, SK/Bonvoy/Melia/Strawberry Gold, Radisson Prem, PP Prest
There is an Executive Lounge nowadays, but I was not informed about it by the front desk in the evening I checked in. It is located in the nearest corner towards the Doubletree Ferry, in the far end of the bar area, downstairs. Quite gloomy I would say. A friendly waitress from the breakfast room was kind enough to show it in the morning. The newly furbished rooms are bearable but hit and miss regarding "scenery".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.