Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Honors versus Marriott Rewards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Honors versus Marriott Rewards

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2006, 8:57 am

which hotel is better? Hilton vs Marriott?

and which Programis better??
HHornors or Marriott Rewards??

Last edited by Canarsie; Apr 6, 2006 at 9:11 am Reason: This milepost was merged into this thread unedited.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 9:03 pm

Programs: AA - Exec Plat, Marriott Platinum Premiere; Lifetime Platinum;
Originally Posted by netron
and which Programis better??
HHornors or Marriott Rewards??
very difficult to answer straight out. Both have advantages.
For me being a very frequent traveler i use both, and I'll try to explain why.
At first glance when you look at the rewards both properties offer, it seems that Hilton charges more points for comparable rewards, but with the MY Way points and 50% bonus and Amex bonus points added (disregarding the double dip) you get significantly more points per stay at Hilton then Marriott.
As a family we like to cruise. Marriott offers the Holland America line, while Hilton only Carnival.
There are properties in certain cities that Hilton outshines Marriott in that we travel to, ie. Myrtle Beach, Santa Fe. The reverse is true as well.
For you to decide, I would suggest you work backwards, meaning is there a certain destination you want to go to, or a certain reward you want? See what Hilton offers there, see what Marriott offers there. Then make your choice. If you travel very frequently, take the luxury of belonging to both.
Old Jul 8, 2006, 7:04 am

Thumbs up Hilton HHonors will always be my choice

Having a lot of autonomy in making reservations is the key. If you make your own online with a HH AMEX that is an automatic 500 miles...I even will check out of one property one night and check into another to accumulate the points. Also do not forget to present a Thrifty card at check-in for 250 miles...nobody does this so it confuses the front desk staff but they figure it out...go to the MY WAY on the HH website and decide whether you want all HH points (my choice) or some airline miles...Also give up the free water and cookies for points...Get to Diamond as soon as you can...staying in Nassau for Christmas week for free. easily worth $1200 dollars..get the HH Visa for a 20,000 first use bonus...never use corporate card if you can get away with it...I'm probably living on borrowed time with this one myself...no one can beat HH for promos in my book.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 3:22 pm

Programs: AAEXP 3+MM, Marriott Plt and Plt for life, Hyatt Diamond
Hilton vs Marriott

I searched and did not find much about this. I am Marriott Platinum (75 nights) each year. I have been losing faith in Marriott and I am thinking about changing to Hilton.

The thing I like about Marriott is frequent promtions for extra points.
Does Hilton offer bonus points and how often?

Also if anyone else made a switch or if anyone stays at both a lot I would value opinions if there is any real difference between chains.

I stay at FS Marriotts or Courtyards most often.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 3:31 pm

Programs: HH, PC, SPG, MR, GP, US, UA, AA
Originally Posted by flyinghome
I searched and did not find much about this. I am Marriott Platinum (75 nights) each year. I have been losing faith in Marriott and I am thinking about changing to Hilton.

The thing I like about Marriott is frequent promtions for extra points.
Does Hilton offer bonus points and how often?

Also if anyone else made a switch or if anyone stays at both a lot I would value opinions if there is any real difference between chains.

I stay at FS Marriotts or Courtyards most often.
HH may be a lot of things, but frequent promo is not one of them
Old Jun 19, 2008, 3:37 pm

Programs: HH, PC, SPG, MR, GP, US, UA, AA
relevant threads on this topic:

Why I prefer Marriott to Hilton

Hilton HHonors versus Marriott Rewards
Old Jun 19, 2008, 4:33 pm

Programs: United 1K, Qatar Gold, Etihad Gold, Hilton Diamond, InterCon RA, PC Plat, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
I've found HHonors to be far superior to Marriott Rewards. Plus, I find the HHonors brand hotels themselves to be far superior to Marriott hotels.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 12:00 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
starwood

I would suggest going with Starwood. There are quarterly promotions, including some that are double stay/night credits. Go check out the FT SPG forum.

SPG Platinum benefits are better than Hilton Diamond at high end properties, especially international (non-US) properties.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 12:08 pm

Programs: UA1k3.00mm;AAex-EXP;Hy Glob;Acc Plt;HH Dia;Onyx Plt;Mar LT Tit;IHG DiAm;RR P;RRA G;BW D;Hcom G
If you don't mind changing hotels every night, you could be Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, and Starwood Plat. instead of a Marriott Plat.
Old Jun 21, 2008, 8:45 am

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
The biggest thing withi hilton is free breakfast and that room charges receive points, includeing meals versus marriott. Hilton has stays versus nights only also nice. Promos recenlty have dried up, last year or so, since they were bought by blackstone. you also can not book suites at hotels just rooms on points unlike marriott. With Hilton you can force an award stay, which is great since a lot of hotels only let you force rack rate. Overall I am happy wiht Hilton there are some things I wish they did, but no program is perfect.
Old Jun 21, 2008, 9:58 am

Programs: AA, Delta, Hilton & Marriott Elite
Hilton guarantees me breakfast no matter which brand I pick, which Marriott does not, but I agree that there are more promos for faster point earning with Marriott.

My current division -- which has me at Hilton Diamond and Marriott Silver -- works best for me. I've managed to get some great deals of free rooms with all the Marriott bonuses.

Marcia
Old Jun 21, 2008, 2:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Being a member of both Hilton & Marriott like some of the others...

Marriott I have access to the executive lounge regardless if I'm booked on the exec level (that's true for both Marriott Gold & Plat). More Hiltons (at least internationally) are moving to the unless you're on the executive level you don't have access to the lounge, regardless of your status. That's a big thumbs down for me re: Hilton.

An advantage to Hilton is that stays & nights both count, including award stays, towards status.

A downside to Hilton is they started the policy of if you don't have enough points when you're ready to book an award, even though you would have them when it's time to redeem the award, you can't book the award. Marriott still allows you to book the award even if you don't have all the points at time of booking.

I find Marriott properties to be more consistent in quality than Hilton properties.

Marriott has been better to me re: upgrades, acknowledgement, preferences (feather pillows, away from elevators, high floors, that type of thing), etc, than Hilton.

As an original member, Marriott gifted me Lifetime Platinum status on the 20th anniversary of their rewards program. As an original member, Hilton sent me a paperweight on the 20th anniversary of their rewards program. Hey, I didn't need diamond - lifetime gold would have been nice

Marriott's now appointed Marriott concierges to monitor & help w/ Marriott issues for FTers (although not w/ the same authority as the famous Starwood Lurker). Hilton really doesn't have anyone monitoring FT on a regular basis.

Hilton's website sucks. Let me repeat - Hilton's website really really really really sucks, to the point that I'm starting to do Marriott stays rather than Hilton just to avoid dealing w/ the Hilton website. I hate having to sign in multiple times. I hate that when I put in a code, whether it be AAA or corporate, that it doesn't bring up all the properties & show the range of prices. You have to go hotel by hotel by hotel. Also, Marriott's codes are 3-letters. Hilton's are a number of #s, and the numbers aren't the same across the properties - ie, a corp code for Hilton is dif than a corp code for Hilton Garden Inn & again, you have to go property by property.

An advantage to both Marriott & Hilton is that unlike Starwood & Hyatt, M&H have more brands in their family across a broad range of price points.

I'm totally confused by the post where someone states that room charges including meals don't count with Marriott. They do.

The 2 links that the 2nd poster posted do a good job of pros & cons to each program. Also, towards the end of the thread in the first link someone has done a Marriott/Hilton/Starwood comparison in terms of points earning etc.

FWIW - I don't think any grass is greener with the various hotel programs. All have their pros & cons.

Cheers.
Old Jun 22, 2008, 2:14 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by MarciaLF
Hilton guarantees me breakfast no matter which brand I pick, which Marriott does not, but I agree that there are more promos for faster point earning with Marriott.

My current division -- which has me at Hilton Diamond and Marriott Silver -- works best for me. I've managed to get some great deals of free rooms with all the Marriott bonuses.

Marcia
Actually for those of us staying outside the US, Hilton does not guarantee breakfast. Their T&Cs are particularly stingy and highly variable for exec privileges in non-US properties.
Old Jun 22, 2008, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by thegoderic
Actually for those of us staying outside the US, Hilton does not guarantee breakfast. Their T&Cs are particularly stingy and highly variable for exec privileges in non-US properties.
I agree with Thegoderic here, that is one of the reason I am hot staying in Hilton as much anymore and most of my travels are International.

SPG Plat. and Hyatt Diamond will guarantee breakfast and their service is very consistent!
Old Jun 22, 2008, 9:31 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by drfired
SPG Plat. and Hyatt Diamond will guarantee breakfast and their service is very consistent!
SPG plat does not offer breakfast as a benefit, whether in or out of the US. You only get it if there is a lounge.

I am platinum, and just returned from a European trip where I stayed at 8 Starwood properties. I was not offered breakfast at a single one. And not a single one had a lounge, so no breakfast that way either.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.