Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Honors versus Marriott Rewards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Honors versus Marriott Rewards

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2003, 10:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
My experience was Marriott Silver was okay for an entry status, although I didn't have high expectations. I rarely had to wait on hold when I needed to call the Marriott elite line. I almost always got my bed type and non-smoking requests. I sometimes got mini-upgrades (i.e., slightly larger room, better view, etc.), but never a suite.

I wouldn't say it's totally worthless, but there aren't many guaranteed perks with MR Silver, so don't go in expecting much. Think of it as a little bit of leverage to get your desired room type and the ability to make reservations/changes over the phone in a pinch.

As for HH, don't mess with Silver - get Gold via the methods described on FT. That will, in many cases, get you an upgrade, breakfast, and other stuff. If you are going to be an HHonors-points-hoarder, the VIP awards are nice, even thought they are going up in cost.
Old Jan 19, 2003, 11:23 am
Original Member

Yes, as pinniped said above, with Hilton, there's no need to start at Silver, and Gold really does make a heck of a difference.

Also, check to see whether your company qualifies you for instant Gold status. Tha's how I got it many years ago...was staying at the Hilton in Ft. Wayne and signed up for the program in the hotel. Got a letter from them saying that as an employee of XYZ Corporation, I was entitled to instant Gold status.

That was many years ago, in 1997, as I recall, but it could certainly still be in effect.

If you check the threads in this forum, you will surely note some inconsistencies with perks delivery at Hiltons, but IMPE (in my personal experience), I've never had a problem getting them.
Old Jan 19, 2003, 11:39 am
Original Member

Addendum:

I should also mention Marriott rather than focusing on Hilton....

Good properties, by and large, with a large range of brands to earn points with.

And, until Hilton acquired Embassy Suites, Fairfield (or is it Hampton? Sorry), created Garden Inns, Marriott was great simply for the greater chances of having a property available. Now, though, you have a good choice of Hilton properties, as well.

MR Silver does get you a few extra points. I guess that's about it. Gone, gone are the days when Marriott offered a 20% bonus for renting a car from one of their partners, and a 25% bonus for flying one of their airline partners, plus the 10% bonus for being any status of elite ( equalling 155% times base points), AND had promos lasting for months which got you double points.

Don't get me wrong, I love Marriott, but just not from their points...although one factor here is that, to the best of my knowledge, they have not recently announced a dilution of what their points are worth.

You have to stay a lot of nights at Marriott to get the best bonus points now as a Platinum. But they still have an excellent product, and sometimes the Platinum welcome gift is the only thing I get to eat that night, so it is especially welcome. (And no, I often do not get the chance to buy a sandwich at a gas station or the airport when I arrive..sometimes it is near midnight and everything is closed...sometime little things mean a lot!) I know, this is off topic for your question, sorry, just trying to be fair.
Old Jan 20, 2003, 10:07 am

I do like my Hilton Gold a fair bit with room upgrades and concierge access...but...

I'll never forget the time I was turned away at a Renaissance as Marriott Silver and per the rules I reminded the service center that I was owed $200.00 cold cash and 2 nights at any Marriott property worldwide...after some foot dragging by the property in question, I received all that! Also, Marriott is more consistent in terms of property quality...
Old Jan 20, 2003, 10:57 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
I think it depends on where you would most likely be staying. if you can predict where in the world you are likely to be traveling it's good to identify your choices in those areas. OVERALL I have been more pleased with the quality of Hiltons overall, esp at the lower end and for shorter stays.
Old Jan 20, 2003, 11:52 am

Am I the only one that is surprised Amex PLT no longer comes with automatic Hilton Gold ? I am pretty sure the european Amex cards still have Gold status attached, has it been reduced to Silver in the US ?
Old Jan 20, 2003, 12:19 pm

I'm a Hilton Gold as well as a Marriott Silver.
I've never experienced any special treatment as a Marriott Silver (except the extra miles).
As a Hilton Gold I've received many free breakfasts, upgrades (at least to executive level, sometimes to a suite), the extra points, etc. I've had these experiences both on "regular" stays as Priceline stays.

Bottom line: for me Hilton Gold is much more valuable than Marriott Silver.
Old May 9, 2004, 1:59 am

Location: KEWR / SPG Plat, HH Diamond, DL Plat, ZE 5*, AA Plat, UA Nobody
Email Survey - Hilton v Marriott

No this is not a point earning opportunity....

Just got a survey...first few pages were basic...which hotel programs are you in, which are you elite in, will you stay more/less/same this year...

Last 1/2 was comapring HHonors vs M Rewards directly. Unfortunately I had to give HHonors higher marks v. Rewards, but I would have wished we could have rated them against SPG or GP.

I guess they figure they compete throughout their brands more against Marriott than the others since Hilton and Marriott have the most options of brands.
Old May 25, 2004, 11:57 pm

Programs: UA: PremierExec, Marriott Rewards: Platinum, Hertz: 5 Star
Marriott Plat -vs- Hilton Diamond

I'm a moderately disgruntled Marriott Plat and I'm considering switching to Hilton (if they'll transfer my status), any thoughts? How are the upgrades? How is the service? Do they normally recognize you as a diamond? Thanks in advance for the insight.
Old May 26, 2004, 2:14 am

Programs: UA1P MM, Hilton Dia, Mar Lifetime Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by UAPremierExecMRE
I'm a moderately disgruntled Marriott Plat and I'm considering switching to Hilton (if they'll transfer my status), any thoughts? How are the upgrades? How is the service? Do they normally recognize you as a diamond? Thanks in advance for the insight.
No comparison! Marriott does not upgrade! As a Diamond I get upgraded 85% of the time. I do however, put an effort into getting the upgrade 50% of the time.

Hilton will probably comp you to Diamond for a period of time. You will need to negotiate this with the Hilton Honors people. Be prepared to fax over your Marriott statement proving your status.

I made the switch from Marriott to Hilton three years ago. If I were you, I establish goals for the program you want to go with, i.e., upgrades, availability at the locations visited, points, rewards, cost of rooms, etc. This will help determine which is better. Being a MR Plt., you could be top tier at both Hilton and Starwood getting upgraded all the time.
Old May 26, 2004, 7:55 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Avis Rock Star
Unhappy

Originally Posted by MIKEM
No comparison! Marriott does not upgrade! As a Diamond I get upgraded 85% of the time. I do however, put an effort into getting the upgrade 50% of the time.

Hilton will probably comp you to Diamond for a period of time. You will need to negotiate this with the Hilton Honors people. Be prepared to fax over your Marriott statement proving your status.

I made the switch from Marriott to Hilton three years ago. If I were you, I establish goals for the program you want to go with, i.e., upgrades, availability at the locations visited, points, rewards, cost of rooms, etc. This will help determine which is better. Being a MR Plt., you could be top tier at both Hilton and Starwood getting upgraded all the time.
I have to be the contrarian, my expereinces have been far better with Marriott upgrades. I believe that Hilton does not offer "Best available room" benefit for Platinum, as I have asked in an earlier post. Spent the better part of last year in Marriotts (as a Platinum) and am in a Hilton now (as Diamond) but struggle to get rooms that are above average. Plus, the Marriott Platinum welcome gift is always appreciated, much more than the basket of exorbitantly priced items I can choose to pay for in my room at the Hilton.
Sorry to say it, but I wish I was back staying at a Marriott.
Old May 26, 2004, 7:56 am

Programs: UA MM, Hilton-Dia
I've been top-tier (Diamond and Platinum respectively) with both Hilton and Marriott the last couple of years and if you are disgruntled with Marriott, chances are high that you'll be similarly unhappy with Hilton. Both are the same really since both run heavily-franchised operations with operators all over the map with regards to top-tier recognition.

So the way I look at it, the best thing about being top-tier is lots of points and the ability to exercise those points whenever I want with no capacity restrictions. All other expectations are just icing on the cake. The 2 nice things about Hilton is the double-dip and the much easier Diamond re-qualification criteria. Marriott is nicer because the redemption levels have not undergone as dramatic an inflation as Hilton has recently.
Old May 26, 2004, 1:43 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, HH Diam, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Discvrist, Pri Clb, WN, AA, DL, F9, Global Entry/TSA Pre
Cast my vote for Hilton HHonors

Hi PremierExec,

I have to agree with MIKEM on this. I can never dream of becoming Platinum at Marriott with their ridiculous stay requirements and the way of counting just nights makes it not even worth the effort.

Case in point, 28 stays at 28 different Marriott hotels at one night each = Silver . Take those same 28 stays at Hilton brands, again one night each = Diamond. Viola, you have become top tier! Silver means virtually nothing at MR and there really should be a merging between 10 and 50 nights for Gold, but that is for another thread...

My experiences once I reached Gold HHonors were more than I expected. After just 16 stays, you can expect a free breakfast for 2 people occupying the room, a welcome amenity of bottled water, crackers/cookies and sometimes coupons for free drinks or appetizers (In NJ, the Cherry Hill Hilton and the Newark Airport Hilton gives these out). Of course at Hampton Inns, everyone in the room receives the new upgraded breakfast with at least 2 hot items. I just can't fathom why MR Golds and Platinums still shell out $$ for breakfast at Courtyards .

On the subject of upgrades, my experience as a Gold was to be moved to a better room about 75% of the time (somewhat less overseas-as I have discovered, a few desk clerks have confided that there are just too many Golds out there). I was mostly put on Towers/Exec Level or even Junior Suites during those upgrades. ONE note of caution...always book the MINIMUM room type you are satisfied with, especially at Hamptons and smaller hotels because many times they become full by your check in date and your reserved smoking handicapped room with one double bed will be exactly what you get.

As a Diamond I saw a marked improvement in upgrade chances...usually to the same type of room as Gold (Towers/Exec/Junior Suite). This time, they really take into consideration the little things like view, or even just given me a full Suite (Including the Presidential Suite twice ^ ^ ). The welcome amenities remain the same, as are the breakfast options. So if you have some Hilton family properties you like, I would definitely ask for a status match. The beauty of Hilton is again, they will count STAYS , not just accumulated nights. So, on the same trip you can go from a Hampton one night to an Embassy Suites the next and so on, accumulating enough stays in no time to become a top tier! Happy Travels....
Old May 26, 2004, 3:21 pm

Programs: UA1P MM, Hilton Dia, Mar Lifetime Gold, Hertz Gold
Do a search on the Marriott board for Upgrades. You will see how infrequently Plts are upgraded at MR.
Old May 26, 2004, 3:53 pm

Programs: UA: PremierExec, Marriott Rewards: Platinum, Hertz: 5 Star
Upgrades...what upgrades?

MIKEM, you are correct. The lack of upgrades is one of my biggest complaints. They claim to give you the best available room (I understand "room" is not the same as "suite") but it never happens. I never take the first room they give me, I always tell them to pick the 3rd room down on the list of rooms they had planned for me and that's the one I want. Prior to this I always seemed to get rooms next to the ice/vending room or the elevator shaft. With Marriott's new Platinum Premier level I worry the value of Platinum will be diluted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.