Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Honors account information security data breach

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Honors account information security data breach

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2011, 3:58 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by KoKoBuddy
It's stuff like this why I never allow my credit card info to be stored on Hilton's (or any vendor's) website.
The compromised data shouldn't include CC information. Epsilon is a mass-mailer service, they'll have email addresses and probably names (first only ?) so the worst that's likely to happen is you get a phishing or infected e-mail.

I hope Epsilon doesn't even have the capability of storing more data even if its clients are dumb enough to send it.

Incidentally, ever notice the HHonors log-in page is not SSL ?
Old Apr 4, 2011, 5:00 pm

Anyone else surprised that there was nothing resembling an apology in this email?

Maybe it's for legal reasons, but it's weak. Yes, it's not Hilton's fault directly, it's just the company that they hired for this purpose...
Old Apr 4, 2011, 5:09 pm

Programs: Promus Preferred, ITT Sheraton Club
No bonus points?
Old Apr 4, 2011, 5:21 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Originally Posted by Wally Bird
The compromised data shouldn't include CC information. Epsilon is a mass-mailer service, they'll have email addresses and probably names (first only ?) so the worst that's likely to happen is you get a phishing or infected e-mail.

I hope Epsilon doesn't even have the capability of storing more data even if its clients are dumb enough to send it.
That's pretty funny. It is about as far from the reality of the relation between Epsilon and Hilton as one could possibly get.

Epsilon has access to way more than the email and first name. Way more.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 5:32 pm

Programs: AC*SE, SPG Gold, HH D
Originally Posted by cordelli
What information? Home address? Financial? Phone #s?
Old Apr 4, 2011, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by cordelli
That's pretty funny. It is about as far from the reality of the relation between Epsilon and Hilton as one could possibly get.

A few years ago they used to run the most of the HHonors site, not sure if that's still the case but if so they do have access to more than just email. I do think the letter was a weak apology and probably the result of a legal review.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 7:10 pm

Programs: Walmart Super Elite
Odd, because I received a notice from US Bank regarding this security breach but nothing from Hilton, and I've been a HH member long before I signed anything with US Bank.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 7:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Just got the same notice from Marriott.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Right, but these phishing emails are potentially a bit more dangerous for the average person, because the hackers not only got names and email addresses, but also the knowledge that the person has a certain account with XYZ and uses that email address with that merchant/bank/... So instead of sending people a vague email trying to get them to provide confidential information, the phishing emails now can address them by name and mention that they have a credit card account with Chase or whatnot. Will quite likely increase the success rate somewhat.

Does Hilton use them to send out emails containing, say, account information (statements?) that might include hhonors numbers?

Incidentally, ever notice the HHonors log-in page is not SSL ?
No. When I visit it, it's

https://secure.hilton.com/en/hhonors/login/login.jhtml

Originally Posted by Bago'peanuts
Odd, because I received a notice from US Bank regarding this security breach but nothing from Hilton, and I've been a HH member long before I signed anything with US Bank.

Same here. US Bank was the first email on Friday. Since then I have received emails from Citi and Chase. No Hilton (yet).
Old Apr 4, 2011, 7:39 pm

now up to 5 emails with the same verbage

Goy Hilton then Marriott now Walgreens and 2 others all the same letter different mailling addys hummm
Old Apr 4, 2011, 7:45 pm

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond
........and just got one from Target.......and TIVO
Old Apr 4, 2011, 7:47 pm

This is a clear breach of their privacy policy, in particular:

Protecting Personal Information

Hilton will take appropriate measures to: (i) protect personal information collected against unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration or destruction,
Obviously appropriate measures were not taken or there never would have been the breach!
Old Apr 4, 2011, 8:23 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by todd-r
Obviously appropriate measures were not taken or there never would have been the breach!
I used to offer 'breach insurance' to my clients when I was with a previous employer. While a number of breaches were due to employee stupidity (left laptop in plain sight in car while running into Starbucks in the morning, or a flashdrive that wasn't cleared properly), there were a number that were caused by 'professional' hackers on companies that had numerous safeguards in place. Breaches will happen and continue to happen, how a company responds is what will set a company apart and maintain the customer's trust.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 8:41 pm
sk3
Suspended

Programs: AA Gold
...Incidentally, ever notice the HHonors log-in page is not SSL ?
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Interesting, in agreement with Wally Bird, I've noticed for sometime that logging in to Hilton is with an unsecured URL. I've had bookmarked HH's homepage and that's where I've always logged in:
http://hhonors1.hilton.com/en_US/hh/home_index.do

The page that notquiteaff linked I'd only see when I enter my account number incorrectly, and I would always just close out of that page. But I've now bookmarked notquiteaff's link and I'll be using that from now on.

FWIW the homepages for SPG.com and AA.com where I log in from are also NOT secured. notquiteaff - got a secure link for them?

Back on OT, I also received the email this afternoon but I'm not worried. If Epsilon was connected to my airline accounts I would be though - big time.

Sure my cc number is at Hilton, but I don't worry about that all. Being "robbed" by fraudulent cc usage is the one theft I wouldn't mind because I'm fully protected by the credit card's policy against fraud.

However, what I do worry about is ID Theft, having been a victim of it before. Someone had my name and SSN and was able to open a cell phone account which (not surprisingly) the thief never paid. They opened it under my name and SSN but with a different address so I never received any of the bills. It wasn't until it went to a collection agency who then tracked down my real address via my SSN that a notice was ever sent to me.

So the fact that airlines now have not only my name and address, but thanks to the Secure Flight policy, my DOB - if those accounts were breached ID thiefs would have a real leg up to wreak havoc with ones credit rating....
Old Apr 4, 2011, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by sk3
Interesting, in agreement with Wally Bird, I've noticed for sometime that logging in to Hilton is with an unsecured URL. I've had bookmarked HH's homepage and that's where I've always logged in:
http://hhonors1.hilton.com/en_US/hh/home_index.do

The page that notquiteaff linked I'd only see when I enter my account number incorrectly, and I would always just close out of that page. But I've now bookmarked notquiteaff's link and I'll be using that from now on.

FWIW the homepages for SPG.com and AA.com where I log in from are also NOT secured. notquiteaff - got a secure link for them?
FWIW, I get the secured Hilton Honors login page if I go to http://hhonors.com and click on My Account in the upper right-hand corner.

Similar for SPG - the login screen on the home page itself may not be secured (I didn't check if it actually posts to an Https URL though), but if you click on the login link, you get

https://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefe...t%2Findex.html

AA is left as an exercise to the reader

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.